Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is on the 7th and coming quickly. I have done well on my three week pre op diet and have lost 21lbs. But I am concerned because everyone talks about how excited they are and I don't feel that excited. People seem to be motivated to start losing the weight as soon as possible but for me all I can think about is how badly I want to try to eat my favorite food if I can after surgery. I don't know why I feel this way I think it has just taken me so long to get here that I have lost focus. Did anyone else feel like this? (disclaimer: I will have this surgery no matter what and I am doing well and I know that I am changing my lifestyle from the old one to a new one)

Your not alone in the thoughts that you are having. I remember waking up a few days after the surgery thinking 'what have I done"

The thoughts did go away, and you can go through a mourning period for food is the only way I can describe it.

I was banded 9/08 but due to divorce and losing insurance and moving back to California I had some Fluid unfilled and did the move. I gained some back, but not all and finally got my first fill a little over a week ago. I went into the same sort of panic of how my eating would be adjusted and then right after the fill went into a food panic of "what did I do"

I am a week out from my fill and had to make adjustments to my eating very quickly! I can tell you that I feel 100 percent better already with what changes I have made. Even though I am losing some the better food choices has stopped me from feeling so crappy/sore/tired. As you start to lose the weight you will really rethink and be glad that you went though with it.

You will make boo boos in eating where you will take too large a bite, or eat too fast it happens to everyone. Chew well, take smaller bites and learn to listen to your body. As my Surgeon said you can eat lots of things, but it gives you a tool to not overdue it. Out of curiosity what is your favorite food that you think you will miss so much? The thing that I loved having when the Dr asked me was a steak/baked potato and salad.. You can eat all that but in a smaller quantity. I find that after that initial first week detox, alot of what I craved doesn't taste good anymore. This forum has alot of really good information! Good luck with your surgery since it is coming up fast! Keep in mind you will be sore generally on the left side after surgery but that will go away. I had a hard time for first few days getting up from the bed when the pillows were too low it pulled. So if you can prop yourself up a bit, or maybe get something that you can grab onto to help pull yourself up. I even did the roll off the bed thing onto my knees

I remember looking at the post op diet and thinking no solid food for four weeks?? Like you, I was going to try eating asap! Then I had the band put on.... everything, i mean everything changed. I don't even care to eat mushy! Of course, I'm only on Day 7, but seven days of liquids are not enough. Think I will wait awhile before trying mushy.

Also, like you, I wasn't excited either as I started my pre op diet. People kept asking me, but I think I was in mourning for all the foods I'd never get to eat again. I will probably mourn pizza until the day my husband makes me crustless pizza and I can eat it. A couple of days before surgery and two weeks of success on the pre op diet allowed me to get excited about the new chapter of my life that would begin after surgery.

Stay focused on your goal and the reasons you decided to pursue banding. Read up on other people's post op issues so if they happen to you they wont freak you out as bad as they did me. Luckily, I found this site and it has helped a lot knowing other people went through the things I'm going through now. Keep posting and don't give up. We are here for you each step of the way!

My surgery was postponed so I actually had 8 months from consult to surgery. I was like just get this surgery over with.

Regarding eating foods once you are healed. Some people keep their bands waaaaaayyyyyy to tight. So they CAN'T eat certain foods. That is bad for your band!!!! My doctor wants me to be able to eat all foods. Just to eat less of them. The only foods I have trouble with are raw baby carrots and cheap doughy white bread.

I choose not to eat some foods like bread, rice, Pasta, pizza because they are high in cals and carbs. If I am at a dinner party and I don't have a choice I can eat them. I just make sure to eat a lot of veggies to fill up the void.