Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days Into Pre-Op Diet And Feeling Funky Still

ok, I'm going on my 5th day tomorrow of my pre-op diet and these are my symptoms: very very lightheaded and dizzy, almost to the passing out stage, hardly can walk because I'm so weak, heart palpitating, headache, nausea. My doc said for me to do 3 shakes a day, broth, Jello, popsicles (all sugar free of course) Water or water with crystal light. I'm doing all of this and still feel yucky. My head is swimming so bad that I am unable to drive safely. Help!

All perfectly normal. It is a huge drop in calories and it takes some getting used to. Make sure you are well hydrated.

If you are diabetic then I suggest you call your Dr to double check what you should be doing as you don't want your blood sugar to drop too low.And obviously if it is really bad , even if you are not diabetic, then you should also be calling him.

well, I'm not sure if I'm diabetic or not. Had blood work done last year and I wasn't but since then I have gained about 30 lbs and have family history of it. I am to see my surgeon Thurs for blood work and such but I think I will call in the morning and see what his nurse says. I understand that my body is going thru a shock, I mean from going thru eating high fat/high calorie and carb diet to liquids and no sugar is bound to shock your system. I'm trying to hydrate myself but its hard because I'm so nauseated and to drink anymore, whew! Thank you for your advice.

I haven't officially started my 2 week pre op yet (just got the final referral yesterday, hopefully will get my surgery date sometime this week!!) but the nutritionist I'm working with told me that once I start if I have issues with dizziness, nausea, etc to try Glucerna Hunger Smart. She said it's made specifically for diabetics, but can be a really big help in adjusting to liquids only. Since I tend to have problems with hypoglycemia, this is gonna be what I have on hand. I hope you feel better!

Donna, keep us posted. I have a feeling I will be going through the same thing you are when I start my pre-op diet on Wednesday. I am interested in what your Dr has to say to you. Take care of yourself and remember your journey is just starting to a thinner you!

I haven't officially started my 2 week pre op yet (just got the final referral yesterday, hopefully will get my surgery date sometime this week!!) but the nutritionist I'm working with told me that once I start if I have issues with dizziness, nausea, etc to try Glucerna Hunger Smart. She said it's made specifically for diabetics, but can be a really big help in adjusting to liquids only. Since I tend to have problems with hypoglycemia, this is gonna be what I have on hand. I hope you feel better!

I'm glad I read this. I've already started a pre/pre/op diet and it's going well but I occasionally have a problem with hypoglycemia too so I believe that I'm going to hop out and grab some of those Hunger Smart's to have on hand if I have a problem. Thanks for mentioning that!

Glad I could be helpful :) They taste okay... I prefer my Muscle Milk to be honest, but I think they will grow on me. I'll put up with the taste though to ward off extreme crankiness and migraines!

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks everyone for your concerns. Today is much better. I got up a little earlier than usual as I am a later sleeper and got my first shake in and more Water. Yesterday, I can honestly say that I didn't push the Water until late afternoon so I think I was feeling the affects of dehydration. I did call my surgeon office this morning and he said I needed to contact my reg. dr., go figure, anyway, I have my Endoscopy tomorrow a.m. by my surgeon, hope he doesn't find a hernia and all goes well. He did mention an ulcer but I don't think I have one and don't think yesterday's symptoms were from an ulcer. From friends on Facebook and you guys on here and what I've searched it was dehydration. Feeling normal today. However, will be glad when surgery is over, liquid diets are done and I can move on to mushies and start to live a normal healthy lifestyle with healty food choices. I've had enough of Protein shakes I can take...lol\

Thanks again to everyone that was so concerned.

Donna