Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a situation.... (long, and maybe TMI)

Hello all.

The Sunday before last (feb 26) I was about 1/2 way through my dinner, and suddenly started feeling ill. I ended up running to the toilet, just in time to vomit. A real, honest to goodness vomit. My first in 12.5 months.

After throwing up, I felt a little queezy still, but much better. I drank plenty of Water, and called my GP in the morning. By that time I was feeling pretty darn good again, so she said to take it slow, back to fluids for a few days anyway.(she works closely with me, and my banding doc, so I can rely on her for good band related advice, she is a gem)

So all is well, Tuesday I go on to mushies, and I felt tighter. I thought maybe this had more to do with the fact that I had been on liquids for a few days, and that the sensation was different. That I had forgotten how restricted I really was. Thursday I get back to solids. And yep. I am much tighter. I took it easy, had wheet bix for brekky, some tender chicken salad for lunch, and a thick pumpkin Soup for dinner (I finished eating at 6pm, and only had a cup of tea, and 1 ltr of water between then and bedtime at 12)

I woke up at 4 am on Friday morning with a burning in my throat. I have had acid reflux before.. But nothing like this. I had a tiny sip of water, more to wet my mouth (I am an open mouth sleeper) and went to the loo.

I needed to cough, or so I thought. I PB'd, or vomited, I am not real sure all over the floor. Thick and clear, with brown/black/red streaks in it. I didn't get a real good look because I had not turned the light on. I had no sooner finished cleaning that lot up, when I needed to "cough" again, this time I vomited into the loo.

Again, whiteish clear with black/brown/ read streaks. And lots of it. more than what I could hold in my little pouch I am sure.

So first thing in the morning, I call my surgeon, and talk to his nurse. She was reluctant to say, or do anything to help me. In the end, after I told her about what I believe to be blood in the vomit, she told me to come in an get some Pariet, and make an appointment for next week.

So I have made the appointment (It is tomorrow morning) But in the mean time, it has happened again, although this time without the burning in my throat. I have had nasty, constant shoulder tip pain, and a burning pain when I eat or drink.

I think, even if it is not true, I need to hear "it will be ok"

I know its not..lol, but humour me. Or if you have some insight into what it really could be, please share.

Gee.. I need to get a blog, huh? LMAO

If you have been fine for a year and this suddenly began after a meal, it sounds like you may have a small tear in the esophagus from vomiting so profoundly. This is just an idea, and so please be sure and see your physician who will run the proper tests to see what the problem is. It certainly doesn't sound like you have had an ulcer all this time, because you say you have been feeling fine. A team in the esophagus can mend itself. I wish you the best of luck and hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Jenna, and Dody.

Dody - would a tear in the esophagus account for the nasty, worse than the pain I had post op- shoulder tip pain? It is pertty bad, to the point of having to take pain killers, and they dont do a hell of a lot to kill the pain either.

I have had burning where my band is too, to the far left.. I just find this all so confusing. lol. I like being healthy and complication free. It is far less work, worry and stress! lol

Still make sure you keep your doctors appt though. I think all of the technical questions would be for them.

The thought never crossed my mind. I would not even take the advice of one of the surgeons who post here as real medical advice.

Oh my goodness, Sam!! ((( HUG!!! ))) That's terrifying!!

I'm new to this world, but that sounds like a possible slippage to me. In which case the prognosis is good. They'll unfill you & allow it to slip back. I would think that for a tear in the esophagus they'd do the same thing... unfill so you can heal.

Hang in there... and see if they can't get your appointment moved up. They've got to have some slots open for emergency! If blood in the vomit doesn't count, lol, what does?

Good luck & keep us posted!

Thanks Janet. I see my doc in the morning.. And it was the first appointment, sadly. He was interstate till tonight (it is 10.45pm, Tues night here in Oz) So I got the first appointment he had. DH is going with me for moral support, so that is something. But to be honest, with the pain I am in at the moment, I think I need him to drive me to the doc, more than I need the support! lol.

I know that no two bandsters are the same, but I was kinda hoping that someone would be able to say "Oh, I had the same thing happen.. And this is what it was" Wishful thinking I guess. I am the type of person who is comforted by facts. If I know what it is, I can deal with it. Good or bad. KWIM?

Thank goodness you see the doc in 12 hours! I cannot imagine the fear & pain you must be feeling! Hope someone reads this who's had this! :)

I'll be looking for an update on you, Sammee! Please post as soon as you know something. At the very least, I'll bet you get an unfill, hopefully an endoscopy will be scheduled. The pain you have worries me! (((hugs)))

Thanks Kathy. I think you are right. I will end up with an unfill at the very least. I will update as soon as I get home.

The pain worries me too. That is why I had hoped that some one could shed some light on it for me. It has slowly been getting worse since Monday of this week. It is at the point now, that if I breathe too deeply, I get a sharp pain. So maybe it is not band related? I have not had any problems till now, so I guess I am just freaking out a little. Or a lot. lol

Thanks Jenna, and Dody.

Dody - would a tear in the esophagus account for the nasty, worse than the pain I had post op- shoulder tip pain? It is pertty bad, to the point of having to take pain killers, and they dont do a hell of a lot to kill the pain either.

I have had burning where my band is too, to the far left.. I just find this all so confusing. lol. I like being healthy and complication free. It is far less work, worry and stress! lol

The pain killers themselves could be causing you major problems. I think you need to see your dr. and let him/her run some tests and find out just what is going on. You may simply need to be on an antacid for awhile until things clear up. Only a professional can make the right call here. We are certainly all here to support you in any way, but from what you describe and the sudden vomiting episode which seems like it was fairly violent, a tear in the esophagus would produce blood. I wouldn't worry at all until I've seen my dr. and gotten a medical opinion on what your next step should be. I would think that pain killers could be causing some of your problem rather than helping it. Please see your doctor for a complete check-up.

The pain killers themselves could be causing you major problems. I think you need to see your dr. and let him/her run some tests and find out just what is going on. You may simply need to be on an antacid for awhile until things clear up. Only a professional can make the right call here. We are certainly all here to support you in any way, but from what you describe and the sudden vomiting episode which seems like it was fairly violent, a tear in the esophagus would produce blood. I wouldn't worry at all until I've seen my dr. and gotten a medical opinion on what your next step should be. I would think that pain killers could be causing some of your problem rather than helping it. Please see your doctor for a complete check-up.

I am only taking pain killers for the pain that I am having related to this mess... And it is only panadol. So nothining like ibupofin (sp?) or the like.

I highly doubt that me taking 2 panadol every 6 hours is causing this, given it started before I began taking them (and taking them because the clinical nurse, and my dr said to if I needed them)

And I am on an antacid. I am seeing my doctor. In the morning. He will run tests. I am dong exactly what I have been told to do.

Hi Samee,

Dont panic. The streaking coffee like grounds in the saliva is dried blood. It happens when you have reflux and irritate the esophagus. The pain is probably associated with the reflux as well. Afterall, reflux is stomach acid and you would could feel tightness in the jaws, burning when you eat and allover pain from the swelling from barfing. It sounds like you need an unfill and maybe some reflux medication. Please let us know how it goes.

Hugs,

babs in TX

334/180ish

I misunderstood. I thought when you said "pain killers" you were referring to prescription medication. My mistake. I think you merely have irritated the esophagus, but you definitely need a medical opinion on it. I was assuming, and wrongfully so, that you were taking Darvocet, Vicodin, etc. You are merely taking Tylenol so no problem there.:)