Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating: Should I Confess?

This is embarrassing to admit, but I have been cheating on my pre-op diet. I don't know what is wrong with me, but it seems like I am hungrier than ever. When I was doing my pre-op diet the first time, I struggled mentally but adhered to it perfectly. Today is day 9, and I have only had two days that I have stuck to my 1400 calorie limit. Every single day, I plan to do better, but then my hunger ends up winning the battle. I haven't been going way over my calorie limit, and I have made good food choices, but multiple servings of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt do add up quickly. Most days, I've probably been over 200-400 calories, but I have continued to walk 5 miles daily, so at least I am not completely off-track.

I have been debating for days about whether I should call my surgeon's office and confess. Normally, I am the type of person who would call and confess, but I feel like I have so much at risk. I am worried my surgery will be postponed, and I clearly can't stand the thought of that happening again. My husband doesn't think it's necessary for me to call since I have lost several pounds since last meeting with my surgeon in January. However, I don't want to risk a medical complication, and after reading posts on LBT, I worry most about having a fatty liver, which I know next-to-nothing about.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you!

DEFINITELY don't confess. just try to get through it and don't cheat again.

If you are worried about the liver, transfer to a full liquid diet for the last week.

Personally, I didn't do the liquid diet before surgery. I was allowed one low carb meal per day and had my share of last meals. I know every doctor is different but seems to me if you've lost weight that would be enough. Confession because of guilt? NOPE, just stay strong the next few days. After surgery you won't want to eat.

Thanks for your input, SashaWLS, Julie, and Stephanie! I am doing better today. I haven't done anything differently, so I assume the excessive hunger, which seems to happen for a few consecutive days every month, has stemmed from a bio-chemical issue. Hopefully, I will be able to manage my hunger better from this point on.

HI elizabeth. I say also do not confess. I did 7 days of liquid diet before my surgery and to be honest it was pretty easy to stick to. I could have sugar free pudding. All the SF popsycles i wanted. All the Soup broth i wanted (just watch bout the sodium count) I did cans of soup and poured off the noodles etc.. I eat all day long and it wasnt bad at all. I cant wait till you join the rest of us in bandland. It seems you have had a rough go of it getting it done. Most ppl would have given up but you sure have great determanation so you can do this!