Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm "official" - my PB story

Warning - this may become a bit graphic.

Oh my. That was certainly no fun. I hope it was on the "bad" side, as PBs go, because I certainly can't see going through that as casually as some of you guys seem to go through yours.

So I was banded Wednesday, and I'm still on liquids, watery cream Soups, and yogurt. DH was home from work and DYING to do something to help me out, so I told him there was some cream of broccoli Soup in the counter, and he could make it for me... I told him to "make it the way I like it" (a.k.a. bandster style - strained to remove pieces, and watered down to regular soup consistency). I've learned not to assume DH knows what I mean in this new eating lifestyle.

He brings me my soup, I start eating 'cause I was starving. I've had (or so I thought) no restriction, and have been using regular spoons to eat - no prob. About 4 bites in a take a spoonful and feel weird chunks in it, but before I can catch or cough them up, they slip on down my throat.

Almost immediately I had what I can best describe as tummy cramps, but that's not an accurate description. Within a half a minute I had pain on my sides (like where I would put my hands if placing my hands on my hips), and an INTENSE pain in my back/spine, between my shoulder blades. Thanks to you all here I had a really good idea of what was happening, so I did all the things I've read about for months and months... walked around, put my arms up in the air, tried taking a few jumps, tiny sip of Water, etc. Nothing helped. So the PAIN goes on, for five... ten... fifteen... twenty minutes. I have a high pain tolerance, but we're talking "Great googley moogley, make this spine-wrenching pain END and I will sacrifice my first born to the great god of PB!" kind of pain. I'm pacing the kitchen and nothing is helping, and at this point I'd do anything that would stop the pain. I start - not sliming - but excessive salivating, so I used paper towels to "soak" it up. Which in and of itself makes me gap. I had to burp a few times, but it couldn't get out. Then... PB.

My husband was upstairs and came running down, he swore I was puking b/c, well... that's exactly what it sounded like, but it was just saliva & a chunk of CHEDDAR cheese. Remember when I said not to assume DH knows my new eating lifestyle, and that my strained cream soup had some kind of weird chunks in it? This is what I mean. Normally I like my cream of broccoli with melty chunks of sharp cheddar in it. He meant well... He came down on turned on the water at the sink and rubbed my back. When he saw the cheese he started tearing, b/c he knew he had put it in the soup, but meant well. Poor guy.

Well, so PBd, then dry heaved three or four times, felt some instant relief in the pain, so I went to sit down but as soon as I sat the pain started back up. Less intense, but still there. I tried sitting down, reclining, sitting down... reclining... D is rubbing my shoulder blades where the "spine" pain is, and was fretting because he knew I was hurting... I tried walking a bit, but again nothing helped... Another 10 minutes in and the salivating starts, then like the pain wasn't enough - I get struck with hiccups (keep in mind my ncisions are still sensitive and hiccups are living agony). I cried out a few times, and my poor DH was out of his mind with worry and a feeling of helplessness... so I'm in pain just waiting to PB again, my spine feels like someone is trying to pull it out, my hips feel like they're going out of socket, and my DH is on my tail asking what he can do, is there anything that will help, do I need him to call 911... I'm trying to deal with the pain and get him to understand there's nothing he can do, and the best thing is just stay out of my way while I pace and wait for it to come up... he's tearing up again, flipping out because he can't help, and because he put the cheese in the soup, I'm pacing... and PB strikes again. Much less this time. Once productive, one dry heave, and yep! There's that second chunk of cheese that slid down my throat. DH is standing right behind me, rubbing my back, telling me he's so sorry, he should have known better than to put the cheese in, how could I everforgive him for causing this much pain, etc. The poor guy.

So, my first PB. MUCH sooner than I would have ever expected it. :)

I know one food I'm never eating again...

I guess I'm back to broth for a few days, but I do have to ask... is this "average" for a PB, or does it sound like a bad episode?

:faint: Yep! That's been my average PB. Sometimes the pain in the upper back and chest area can continue into the next day for me.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that - I'm so sorry any of us have to go through that. On the positive side it looks like you have a great support system and you have both learned a very valuable lesson that will help you in the future.

Lots of luck to you.

Your husband will never be the same.

Yep, that was a rough one. Ouch. You definately have restriction!!! Good job on back to broths. Go easy on that new band! I'm sorry. I know it was scary and painful. Welcome to bandland?

This has been over for about an hour and a half now, and he's still constantly trying to rub my shoulders, stroke my hair, and tell me he should have known better than to put the cheese in, and that he feels horrible for doing it. I felt bad for him, but I really just wanted him out of my way. He was such a sweetheart.

Wow, if that's an average PB - my goodness. That's the most pain I've felt in a long time. I HATE puking, and that was THE BEST part (because it stopped the pain). I can't imagine doing this very often.

No golfball feeling, either - just my back between my shoulderblades (also where I feel "brain freeze") and waist area.

Oh, I'll also add - the reason why I was thinking it might be worse than normal is because of what I PBed. The cheese was melty (aka sticky), hadn't even been chewed because it literally slid down my throat before I knew it was there, and also because there were two chunks at once. I was thinking (hoping) that with something softer, chewed, etc. - the pain might be less.

Again, proving that after all my years of debating this decision, all the months I spent here researching, etc. - I still know nothing. :phanvan

Again, proving that after all my years of debating this decision, all the months I spent here researching, etc. - I still know nothing. :phanvan

There's nothing like living through it. I did the same thing (kind of) on day 4 post-op with Jello. Actually, it was the thick skin part that I swallowed on impulse, not thinking, not squishing, just let it slide on down too quickly. That was my fisrt PB. OMG it hurt, but I knew what was happening and the PB relieved the pain instantly.

Melty cheese would probably normally slide on through if you weren't still swollen from surgery. You may have trouble with cheese in the future, too, after a fill. That band will really bite, and it will really stop you in your tracks. I gained a whole new respect for that band really quickly!

Oh, Wheetsin, I am so sorry you had to go through that so soon! I totally agree with you - the vomiting is the BEST part of the PB, the pain is the worst. I assume the pain is equivalent to a swift kick in the balls. You should try comparing notes with your man.

And as awful as your experience was, I almost feel worse for your husband. The poor guy meant so well. All my thoughts are with you both tonight. Feel better.

You poor thing! I've PB'd 3 or 4 times, but its never been as intense as what you describe. Feel better soon. Hugs for you and DH - it sounds like it was almost as bad for him, lol.

Oh my, I really feel bad for you and your husband. I can't imagine facing that so soon after surgery. Sounds like you are married to a wonderful man, which is a special blessing. You both make a good team and will get through these little bumps and it will soon be smooth sailing. Before you know it, Mr Hobbs will be begging for his protien first! :dog: :rolleyes

You know, I met with my dietitian today and we discussed support groups. I told her I was coming here (LBT) and this seemed to fit my needs. She said that they offer meetings where family members can come to learn more about their role in this process. Afterall, this is a major change and it will have an impact on everyone in the home. This was the first time I gave thought to training my husband. Sounds like that may not be a bad idea if it could be worked out.

Take care of yourself and sip easy. :guess

You poor thing, that was a bad one, especially since you are still healing from surgery. I have them that bad still sometime. Mostly, when I PB, I can feel something is stuck and not going to go down after a while and I can just bend over the toilet no hurling or anything and it comes right back up then all if back to normal. Those are the easy ones. Take it easy for a few days!!

Thanks for all the support guys! I was determined to be one of the ones who 6 mos out hadn't PBed. Go figure. DH is taking it really hard, he's so sensitive, and can't stand to see me in distress. He won't even look at my staples because he can't stand to think that I'm hurt, or someone cut me. He had a huge flower arrangement delivered to me this morning, apologizing for "making me get sick". :)

I got him a copy of my post-op diet that details when to add in what. That way, if he's going to help get me something to eat, he'll have a way to feel confident that he's giving me the right things instead of trying to "interpret" what I say/mean.

In a way I'm glad I've already been throught his, because I know what happens, what it's like, and got a VERY early, VERY big dose of behavior modification up front (like - I'm afraid to go beyond Water today!). Hopefully it will only help me going forward.

On the brighter side, I can now walk & go up/down stairs w/o pain today, and my staples come out tomorrow! :clap2:

Wheetsin welcome to the Pb world! You are no longer a "virgin" . LOL It just pleases me to know end that you had your wonderful husband to stay right there with you. That is just so sweet. He sent you flowers? Now He is just great! Your posts have always been so informative and even though I have been banded longer than you I learn things from your research. I am glad you are a poster on board and share your experiences.

My doctors put in a band that was real tight from the word "Go". PB's happened alot. I would even PB foam even if I hadn't eaten. However, I learned to control my stomach muscles and esophagus muscles to regurgitate everything in my pouch on command. If I felt something not right, I could pre-emptively go the restroom and empty my pouch in a gentle and controlled manor. Beats painful, uncontrolled vomit stomach spasms. As time passed, the tightness and PB's faded as my weight dropped.