Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused!!!!

I found Tommy and Mikey's comments very interesting. I have to disagree with Tommy a little though, which is unusual because I typically think he is right on the money with all of his opinions. He really is awesome. Anyway, I am an emotional eater and a self hater and the band is perfect for me. As Janet pointed out, RNY patients lose the weight in spite of their typical eating disorders but two years down the road they haven't changed a thing about why they were fat in the first place. Many put the weight back on and are stuck with the results of a surgery that will be with them for life. The band reminds me daily that I have to be careful about my food choices and it prevents me from punishing myself with enough food to make me sick for hours after eating it. I noticed on Inamed's site that they say people with sweet tooths aren't good candidates for the band because sweets are typically in foods that are easily gotten around the band. I can see that being a real deterrent.

Mikey, men are not alone in that feeling of "I should have been able to do this on my own." I struggled so hard with the guilt of having to spend $26,000 (something we might never see again) for my band. I still have to eat smaller portions, make better choices, turn away from foods that make me fat, get exercise, and drink Water. Why on earth couldn't I just do that on my own? It was a tough one to get past, and only my family's reassurance that they couldn't think of a better way to invest that money helped me go through with it. I felt weak and selfish. Now I just feel grateful to them for loving me so much. And now I see myself as being in training. I'm not weak at all. I'm going through a boot camp of sorts, where my old self is being broken down and retrained to become something stronger. I can be proud of that. I now understand that when I reach my goal, it will be because of MY hard work and dilligence.. not because someone took away all of my choices and made it happen for me.

Anyway, Wssmith, I wish you the best in finding what's right for you. For me, I would never do the RNY. The surgery is far too risky, the sideaffects are far too bad, and the long term success rate is far too low for me to make such a choice. But each person has to decide what's best for them. I would, as many have suggested, find a different doctor and get more professional opinions about the options. That meeting sounded oddly biased.

I never concidered gastric bypass due to the changes to the plumbing. Also, I realize one thing to me that was really important and that's that the lapband is adjustable.

I've heard of gastric bypass patiants gain back the weight or get stuck at a 16/18ish weight and not able to lose anymore because they can't go back for an adjustment and they have grown used to their stomach size.

As for me...3 years ago my niece and I decided to check out WLS..(RNY).. Her insurance would pay for it, mine would not. She went ahead and had her's. She was in the hosp. for 3 weeks. The surgeon had nicked her panceas. then a couple of her sticthes didn't hold, in her old stomach, and acid was leaking. For the next 6 months she was in and out of the hosp. Needless to say, that made up my mind fast. No RNY for me. Yes, she lost 200 lbs in 15 months. I have lost 78lbs in 7 months with my Lapband. She still has problems with ulcers in her pouch, and has gained back 50 lbs. I can't say I will be able to lose more, but right now I have my 'sweet spot' and have had no problems, not even a PB. This was the right choice for me.

I did not mean to sound like I am correct and that is that. I said many times that it is a personal decision to make, I found that the RNY would fit me best because of the fact that I am tired of struggling for my weight. This has been a life long battle for me, I have tried losing weight since I was 11.

Whoever compared the RNY to religion is wrong in my opinion. This is a debatable issue that has to do with your health. Yes the RNY has complicatios but if I am correct, the lapband has many as well, check your own threads, erosion, gerd, slippage, infection, leakage, and lack of weight loss. This information was not only researched by many people but was told to me by a few medical professionals that do the procedure and have had it done. If the RNY was so wrong, then why are the some Doctors having it done on themselves? Yes it is risky and dangerous but if you look at it that way, any time someone is under the knife its dangerous. After affects, would be like the band, nausea and vomiting if eaten to fast or too much.

Yes reversal is not as easy as the band, but many people would not dream of reversing it because of the results being so great, only with life threatening complications will they take out the band or reverse the RNY.

In regards to gaining weight, you will gain weight with the band as well, actually even easier to cheat the band and gain weight rather than the bypass. I don't want that. My Doctor said that this is not an easy way out like the band, this is only a tool to help you lose the weight, so you still have to watch what you eat and you HAVE to exercise, so please, all you bandsters out there, don't criticize a person because they want RNY it is a tough decision already and it requires just as much hard work as the band, with rny it's just a malabsorptive issue, but your body still will absorb the fat and many of the calories, just trying to tell you that it is just as hard as the lap band.

In regards to studies, I ask you all that you research what you say before you say it. There are many studies going on and there have been people even wanting to ban the band, because with the majority of people it is useless. Very few people lose all the weight they need. Go online and research the clinical studies, then inform confused people. But number one though, people should do the research themselves, and come to conclusions on their own needs, just like I did, I was stuck on the lap band and even called people crazy for doing the RNY, but when I went to support groups and seminars that offered a lot of info on all the procedures, then RNY was for me. Please don't sound sinical, about doctors either. Yes everyone is out there for the money EVERYONE, but the Doctor that I went to was so compassionate, and told me that it was all my decision, with the weight that I need to lose, and being the young age that I am, the Rny would be good. Again, this is not an easy way out and no one should think that way, for me it is the last resort, there are so many there that have the band and within a few months go and have the rny. Why do you think that is?:)

Roze, the sayng "Do as I say not as I do" keeps popping into my head as I read your post.

You state "My Doctor said that this is not an easy way out like the band," I would suggest your doctor is uninformed. It would be foolish and un-ethical to make a claim like that about Banding or By-pass surgery. you ask "all you bandsters out there, don't criticize a person because they want RNY" Interestingly it's seems you don't apply the same expectations to yourself in regards to banding.

P-Nut, Gotta Love yourself Girl.

Whoever compared the RNY to religion is wrong in my opinion. This is a debatable issue that has to do with your health. Yes the RNY has complicatios but if I am correct, the lapband has many as well, check your own threads, erosion, gerd, slippage, infection, leakage, and lack of weight loss. This information was not only researched by many people but was told to me by a few medical professionals that do the procedure and have had it done. If the RNY was so wrong, then why are the some Doctors having it done on themselves? Yes it is risky and dangerous but if you look at it that way, any time someone is under the knife its dangerous. After affects, would be like the band, nausea and vomiting if eaten to fast or too much.

hi Roz, I stand by my believe that choice of WLS becomes like a choice of religion, not that RNY is religion. Mearly that people become so invested in their choice of surgery, much like they are invested in their religion. (I see the same types of religous wars in the computer community, PC vs. Mac vs *nix) It was not my intention to say that one was better over another, simply that people get invested in the procedure that they have chosen.

Everything is debatable, once belief or non belief in a devine structure, choice of WLS or computer operating platform.

Very few complication of the band lead to death or coma.

Could you please provide a link to the studies you are refering to? I would be very interested in reading more about them, especailly the one where most people find the band useless and are seeking to ban the band. I personally haven't had much success scale wise with my band, but I have complications that have nothing to do with the band. I don't believe that even a malabsortive technique would have any affect on my weight loss. I do not view non-weight loss to be a complication of the band, but I beleive there is something else going on and I really suspect that Turtles have a metabolic issue that must be addressed before they can lose weight.

As for people who convert to a malabsorbtion technique after a few months, I haven't read about them, but a few months is not enough time for the band to work or not work. Our own GeezerSue had her band removed and had the DS done. I know that Sue is thrilled with her results, so I have no doubt that it was the right decision for her. I also know of a few RNY folks that have had a band placed after their RNY because they couldn't get it done with the RNY. Not a judgement call, just what is working best for them.

I do know that the band is not the right technique for everyone, but I cannot agree with most of your assertions that the band doesn't work for most people. I belong to two differnt band boards and overwhelmingly, the band is working for people.

Because after your research and your soul searching, you have concluded that the RNY is the right technique for you. That is excellent work on your part.

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words of support and advice, this site has really been helpful.

I went to my consult today with Doctor John A. Mason in Bryan, Texas. He performs both types of WLS and told me he recommends both surgeries depending upon the patient and their individual situation. He was honest and said that he likes the bypass because he gets paid more, and that for some of his MO patients it is the best choice. He also said he likes the band because of the lower instances of complications, Vitamin deficiencies, etc. He said the weight loss is faster with the bypass, but both methods equal out at about two years.

He did reiterate something I have gleaned from this forum. The band will only be successful if it is accompanied by a lifestyle change in eating habits. If he feels his patient will not follow the dieting guidelines for the band, he said he then recommends the bypass in that malabsorption will help counteract some of the “stuffing” of the bypass pouch.

In my case with my general health, he thinks I will do fine on the band. As do I. I should have a date in a couple of weeks he said.

Thanks.