Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!! Please.....fill Won't Go In Or Come Out.....?

So, i'm not a new person here, but i need to know if this has happened to anyone else.

Banded 11/9/09.... no un-fills.... 14cc band. filled to 10.5 was the most.

Feb. 15, 2012 i had my Tummy Tuck. My PS removed all my fill during the procedure. Eight weeks later i went to my LB surgeon and he put in 5cc. Last week i went with my mom to our Family surgeon to schedule her Gallbladder removal (he did mine years ago)... He has been doing LB surgery for the past 5+ years and a surgeon for at least 30..... I really wanted him to do my LB but, my insurance would not pay for his surgery center. So i had to go to a dr. 45 minutes away in a neighboring town. I have never had any problems...

So this is what happen... we were talking about my weight loss and one thing led to another and he offered to put in a few cc's in my band for FREE... I said SURE.... So he tried and nothing would come up and nothing would go down.... he said it might be pinched. I could def feel that he was in the port. He tried a few times... and nothing. I have never had this happen...

Any one try to get a fill and this has happened? If so, did you get it fixed.... and how? Please help.

thanks

I would say that he is not experienced and he didn't have the needle in the right place. It is easy to find the port but not so easy to hit it in exactly the right spot. When I ended up in emergency and needed an unfill the surgeon that tried to unfill me couldn't. He is a highly qualified surgeon, a partner to my Dr and knew how to do it in theory but in practice it wasn't quite so easy. After trying twice he decided to send me to have it unfilled under fluoroscope.

well i'm going to my dr. next week and we shall see. I will not tell him what happen. I want to see if he can access with out prob.

well i'm going to my dr. next week and we shall see. I will not tell him what happen. I want to see if he can access with out prob.

I agree, I don't think I'd bring it up. Hopefully all is well!

I agree with the rest of posters. I wouldn't say a word and would wait to see if he has a problem too. I know a lot of doctors were actually piercing the fill tube at one time and the manufacturers had to reinforce that area! Good luck!

Dennis

I had something similar happen last month when I went to a new doctor in Auckland where I am visiting for the next few months.

The doctor was a very experienced lapband surgeon. When he had done the fill he had found a level of resistance initially that then suddenly seemed to release and allowed the fill to occur.

The fill was very uncomfortable so I was anxious to remove a small amount from the lapband. When the doctor attempted to insert the needle into the port he once again struck a level of resistance. The doctor explained to me that sometimes small fibres can block the mesh on the port. Heproceeded to flush the port with saline. this was successful and he as then able to gain access to the port to complete the unfill.

I cant lie, even by omission, so I would tell him. And as a nurse, I firmly believe a physician and health care team (team, we are all in it together) should have all the information.

I've had alot of problems with my fills, i was banded March 21, 2012 and my first fill supposed to be on few weeks after but the Dr couldn't do it, and i just ended up with alot of pain for a whole week, but anyways to make the story short, 4 different Dr had tried to do through fills in different occasions but only on had been able to do it after alot of trying, i had 2 fills already, which the second one was done under xray and we noticed that my port had move sideways, that's why its been so difficult to get it. The Dr said that he wants me to have a small surgery to change my port and place it flat, i hope it works so i can get a fill soon because Im so hungry all the time but my Dr doesn't want to try again before the surgery...... Im still waiting for the insurance to.clear

I cant lie, even by omission, so I would tell him. And as a nurse, I firmly believe a physician and health care team (team, we are all in it together) should have all the information.

I agree!!! Your doctor needs all the information in order to treat you,

I haven't gone back yet. Too many things going on and i have put it on the "middle" burner so to speak. I really hope it was just the dr. and not something wrong with my band. My insurance that i have now doesn't cover LB or anything associated with it.

Question: If my PS moved my port and was the cause of the problem.... should he be responsible for the repair?

On another note: i have been able to keep the weight gain at bay and even lost one .... this makes me happy.

Ok..... UPDATE!!!

Went today for a fill with MY LB surg.... No problems at all..... YEAH!! Guess the other Doctor didn't know how to access my kind of port.

So he put in 4cc today. That brings me back to 9cc in my 14cc band. Hoping for the best. Haven't eaten much today.... couple bites of potato, tonight sticking with a smoothie... Thanks for all advice and well wishes....

Told you so! :)

you sure did... I can always count on you... Thanks again.

Last night was good. Drank my smoothie and tried to eat a couple bite of a tamale... got one bite down... but it stayed.

Also, Guys.... i didn't say anything to my dr. I just felt like if i would have, it would be like telling him i thought he was not a good doctor. And that is so far from the truth. He is a great doctor, his office manager on the other hand... yuck. I was doing it cuz it was free.... and i really trust this other doctor. But, just goes to show you that this fill thing is harder than it look..... I would have said something if the same problem would have happened.

I may be wrong but I bet the other doctor decided not to give you a fill once he stuck the needle in but it was too late so he pretended to have issues! LOL! I know my office keeps track of how much is in me so your LB doctor would have found out that somebody else gave you a fill. Maybe he didn't want to be responsible if something went wrong with the fill?