Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night Cravings

I've always considered myself a salt over sweet person. But man @ night I wake up & I just want chocolate so bad!

I've always considered myself a salt over sweet person. But man @ night I wake up & I just want chocolate so bad!

im the same... always loved savoury and salt more than sugar, but lately ive had more cravings for sugar.. got no idea where this has sprung up from. lol.

as for me I LOVE my chocolate! Of course followed by a little salt, followed by a little chocolate....... :)

My family is full of nighttime eaters. My sister, the only thin one, said we needed a stoplight at the bottom of the stairs. I am still struggling withthis. Trying to make better choices at 2 am! Cereal with soy milk instead of 1/2 cup of chocolate chips!!

I also find that if I wake up in the middle of the night I have a strong urge to munch. I try to keep a cup of Water next to the bed and if I wake up I drink it right away, then I feel full and it usually cuts the craving off (but not always lol.)

They have actually done studies that validate that people who are up later into the evening tend to weigh more. I would think that it is important to try not to go to bed hungry, so you could avoid waking up in the middle of the night with the munchies. I know that it is impossible for me to fall asleep if I am hungry.

I sometimes will have a small slice of Protein, such as turkey or chicken before going to bed; that makes for high Protein and few carbs. I also am a chocoholic but cannot allow myself to give into this craving. The best alternative I have found to date is a 1/2 teaspoon of Peanut Butter (makes no sense, but it does satisfy the chocolate craving :) )

It would seem that finding a way to stay asleep the entire night is the solution for you. Good luck, I know how difficult this can be!

I struggle with this so bad! I have always been a night time eater, and to make it worse, I am also a night owl so am usually up until midnight or 1am. I can make through the day without hunger between meals, but if I eat dinner at 5-6pm then I'm hungry around 10pm.

What I usually do is have something small without little or no carbs. A wedge of Babybell Light cheese (50 calories), a 1/4 cup of low fat cottage cheese (35 calories), or even a couple pieces of sliced cucumber with some salt on it. (pretty much a freebie, I don't even bother counting cucumber calories). It's enough to get me through until morning without being starving or effecting me adversely on the scale.