Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's The Best Sugar Substitute?

what is the best sugar substitute that everyone uses?

thx

Donna

I prefer splenda, but some people swear by stevia.

At the moment it is Stevia but it is relatively new and in a few years they will probably tell us that it is not good, that it is actually bad for us etc. That is what happens with most things!

The best thing to try to do is to try and cut down as much as possible or even cut out sweet things if you can. When you have things that are artificially sweetened your body does not have the correct insulin response and they do not help us to lose weight. There is a proper scientific explanation but not being a scientist I can't remember what it is. They have found that artificially sweetened foods and drinks seem to have made us fatter.

As a chemist I like Splenda the best in principle since it's chemically the same molecule as sucrose, just the mirror image, but it tastes weird to me. I use old-fashioned saccharin in the pink envelopes. I find the others have an off taste; not just sweet but with a taste of their own. Of course, many people think saccharin has a bitter aftertaste so you just have to try them all. I think Elcee has the right idea - try to get rid of the craving for sweet items and avoid the whole issue. My mom has always drunk black coffee so she doesn't have to find the right half-and-half or the right sweetener.

As a chemist I like Splenda the best in principle since it's chemically the same molecule as sucrose' date=' just the mirror image, but it tastes weird to me. I use old-fashioned saccharin in the pink envelopes. I find the others have an off taste; not just sweet but with a taste of their own. Of course, many people think saccharin has a bitter aftertaste so you just have to try them all. I think Elcee has the right idea - try to get rid of the craving for sweet items and avoid the whole issue. My mom has always drunk black coffee so she doesn't have to find the right half-and-half or the right sweetener.[/quote']

I love Splenda but trying to be "organic" with Stevia, but don't love it. I was told that Splenda is 1 molecule different than Chlorine... I'm guessing if that's true so is sucrose.. Yes?? So perhaps it's not as bad for me as I was told?

I have tried them all but my fav by far is the Truvia which is the Stevia.

Bamasleever, I don't know where you got your information but there is no chlorine in any of the sugars or sugar substitutes. Elemental chlorine is a poisonous gas and is found in sodium chloride, common table salt. Sugars have carbon, oxygen and hydrogen - no chlorine in sight.

I have always used good old Sweet N Low (pink packets). Every other type tastes bad or not sweet to me. I've used it since the 70's. Most common for me is in iced tea and coffee daily. When I make oatmeal I use good old brown sugar.

I love spenda I use it everyday in place of sugar

Bamasleever' date=' I don't know where you got your information but there is no chlorine in any of the sugars or sugar substitutes. Elemental chlorine is a poisonous gas and is found in sodium chloride, common table salt. Sugars have carbon, oxygen and hydrogen - no chlorine in sight.[/quote']

Thanks Daddy! My chiro told me that, I never looked it up.. What she said was that Splenda was one molecule away from being the same chemical make up as Chlorine. But im guessing that could be true for many things if i recall correctly... Its been almost 20 years since college, LOL. You made me feel a little better! Thanks and BTW, the pink stuff was my favorite and somehow over time Splenda became my first pick... But once in a while there is nothing like a glass of iced tea with a couple pink packets!!

I use stevia I figure since it comes from a plant it is the most natural.....so many people say Splenda tastes just like sugar but to me it tastes like chemicals and leaves a horrible after taste.