Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Assisting in the Katrina Relief effort...need support

Hi all.

I am currently in Baton Rouge, LA to support the Katrina Relief effort for 30 days. I volunteered for this assisgnment and could not wait to get here and start helping. It is a very stressful environment (I had to drive to New Orleans by myself yesterday and check up on some manufactured trailer sites in questionable area's....it was interesting but stressful seeing all the devastation and knowing I was driving around where 6 feet of Water once lay).

I am a relatively new bandster and have done well. I feel myself creeping into my old eating habits in the last week ....mostly stress related eating. Lately I have been just grazing all day long, eating things I should not. I eat when I am not hungry, I eat before I go to bed. We work 13 hour days and there is always food around the office. I am making bad choices.

I am not knew to being in a stresful situation. I spent 7 months in Iraq to support the war effort there. But for some reason this situation has be edgy, I even broke out in hives 2 days ago and can't stop itching!! It is 530 AM here and I have been wide awake for hours...just can't sleep.< /p>

I know I must do this myself, but I guess I am just looking for some support from all of you. If you have any advice please pass it along!!

Thanks for listening.

What a rewarding experience, assisting the devastated victims of Katrina, I salute you!

As for the eating, try to grab things that are higher in Protein, keep Zone Bars handy, they've got 16 grams of Protein. It's seems you're going to be really busy the next 30 days, so hopefully you will have something new to focus on, besides food.

I'm intrigued by your motivation to travel and assist those so in need. I'd love to know how you're assisting, who you work for, where you're staying, (hotel or a tent). Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Good luck and stay in touch.

How ver cool, Maggie! Hats off to you, no kidding! Geez, I can imagine you are trying to stress eat. I don't know if you need a kick in the rear, a hug, or some good solid advice...all 3? Okay, here goes:

Girl, you can do this. You did Iraq and God only knows what else you have seen and experienced in your life. This is edgy, but YOU are edgier! Take a deep breath and stay busy! Focus on the job, eating is just fuel, not what you need to get through it. What you need to get through it is not on the food table at the office, it's within you! Now, go do it!

Here's your ((((hug)))). You are an amazing person with wonderful skills and experience to get done what needs to get done in LA. Your work is amazing and brave. Thank you, from someone who simply is not able to physically do what you are doing. You are the hands and feet of America! WTG and Thanks!

Now, figure out which foods are off limits and avoid them. Find appropriate replacements. Know that you will want to stress eat and find healthier ways to eat it. Don't try to use will power, then beat yourself up while in special circumstances. Realistically, if you get home after 30 days and haven't gained, you have succeeded! Keep your Water bottle going, empty it regularly and refill it promptly! Do your best on food, but don't compromise on your Water.

What you are doing is so important. I think you are marvelous!!!!

We work 13 hour days and there is always food around the office. I am making bad choices.

I recently helped with a telethon (1 day) and the enviroment was food-filled. :eek: Things I hadnt put my eyes on in months! My mouth watered while I gazed at the tables of food for all the volunteers. What's harder was all the people coming up asking, "Did you eat yet?" "Hey - get a bite while you're here" or "Dont forget to have some lunch". So many reminders to eat, eat, eat.

I grabbed a bottle of Water and started chugging - then left that area!

You can do it.

By the way...

are you with FEMA?

Bet you didnt realize south Louisiana (and Mississippi - if you went I-65) was still in such bad shape THIS long after the hurricane!

What you are seeing in the flooded NO area - is basically the same as 10 miles south of my house. With the exception of NO still having trees/telephone poles/street signs and some structures standing.

South of me is nothing.

total devistation.

You get a standing ovation for coming to this area to help.

God bless~

thanks for your support. i work for the department of defense (federal employee). they occasionally ask for volunteers to assist in efforts like the war in iraq and natural disasters. i love getting out of the grind of the office and getting my hands dirty.....i have been very blessed in that my command is supportive of employees who assist in these efforts.

i am supporting fema as a technical montior. i go out to group sites (manufactured homes and trailors) to make sure homes are designed to spec. the trailors are fema's answer to getting folks out of the cruise ships and hotels and into this temporary housing until new homes are built.

harleynanna-i am staying in a hotel, although i had planned to live in a tent (lived in a tent for 36 days while in iraq...talk about an experience!!)

the best me - i think what i need is a kick in the pants....but thanks for the hug, i probably needed that also : ) i know i can do this. it is funny but had i not had the band and lost 40 or so lbs before i got here, i probably could not have come. i do a lot of walking to sites and i could not have handled it physically. thank goodness for my band as it helped me live life instead of watching it go by from my couch!!!

paula-where do you live? i took 10 to NO the other day, and was shocked that cars were still on top of homes, and debri is everywhere!!!

thank you all so much for you support. i vow to go out and buy some Protein bars today so i am not eating junk!!!! i also vow to get my Water in and hit the treadmill before going into the joint field office!!!

thanks again all...it means alot to me that you took the time to open this thread : )