Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi gang,

Seems like the band is always a learning process. Here's where I'm at. I will go in next week and get my 2nd fill, but I feel a little conflicted as to how much/if any to allow. You see I could (don't) but could very easily eat a lot more than I do. Right now I commume about 800-900 cal/70+ protein/ 40 for less carbs. I have lost I told of 37 pounds (17 before surgery) 20 over the last 2 months post-op

I enjoy being able to eat a broad aray of different foods (all of which are healthy) and not having to turn away any favorites...but it does leave a big window open to included the bad stuff. I have choosen wisely for the most part so far...and Im able to go a good 4-5 hours without being hungary.

So my question is, I know I'm not at restriction....but I'm managing pretty well on the "diet" right now......should I still let them give me a fill? Or should I wait and ride this part of the process out and when It gets harder to keep my calories at 800-900, then go back.

I just don't want to sabbotage myself and a couple of weeks from now suddenly "need" a fill to maintain what I'm doing.....but then again is getting a fill when you are managing just being proactive.

oh by the way I have 2cc in my band...not sure how big the band is. I keep forgetting to ask

Unfortunately, I can't give much advise in that I just got my first fill on last Tuesday. Since the surgery I had dropped 19 pounds with a total of 32 which I think is good. We are in the same boat but I consume about 1000 calories but go to the gym and burn them all off so I am even across the board. My band is 10cc and I have 2.5cc in me now. On my next appointment which is in three weeks, I think they are going to put another 2.5cc's in my band. This is a learning process but if I continue to do well, then after my second fill I won't get another one until the new year. But talk with your doctor and see what they recommend.

First off, congrats on the weight loss so far! That is awesome! I would say definitely bring all of these concerns to your surgeons attention. He or she are probably used to these questions and may have some insight on what they see happen when people are in your situation. Hoepfully you have a doctor that you are able to discuss things with. I have 5cc in an 11cc band and go in a few weeks and hope to get a little more added because I know its not enough. Your doc may advise you to add a small amount like .5cc and see what that does. Good luck, please post what the outcome is!

Based on the questions the office asks me you would not need a fill. The bad is not meant to cause you to only eat once a day. You are loosing at over 2 pounds a week which is on the high side. I would hold off on a fill for now.

I'm going to guess that you have tried dieting without WLS in the past, right? You may have been successful for a time, but obviously not for the long-haul because you ended up having WLS, right? At just 2 cc's you probably have very little, if any, restriction and you are just dieting on your own. If you don't have restriction and aren't willing to give up some foods, then why have the band? You obviously had WLS for a reason and I don't understand not wanting/needing to use it to its fullest potential.

Here's the way I look at it: I could lose weight before WLS pretty easily, but I've never been able to maintain my weight loss and that is why I got the band -- I wanted something that will help me maintain after losing! If I could have lost all the weight on my own, and then maintained it without the band, I would have never had WLS -- I don't think any of us would!

Oh, and congrats on your weight loss so far!!!

Hey Toddy I agree with everthing you just said. I'm very disciplined I will get the weight off at any cost and my issue is exactly what you stated I will need to stay at no more than 1000 calories to maintain my loss so thats why I got the band.

The foods I'm not wanting to give up are all healthy ones.....very little unhealthy things make it into this body--haha

I know the day will come where restriction will be needed to maintain the low calories....I know I can't do this forever on my own.

But right at this moment I'm in the honeymoon stage...I'm excited, motivated and determined to do this weight loss thing one more time.---so today right this minute I'm doing 80% of the work and the band is doing 20%--but thats ok.

So is it better to put the band in charge and sacrifice certain foods (which I'm willing to do if neccesary) even though I am doing good right now. Or is better to wait until the weight loss slows and my body needs another shock.

I guess my biggest fear is to mess with something that is working.---but I realize with 2cc I'm not using the band to its full potential and I don't want to look back and think I messed up by waiting too long to get another fill.