Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 Weeks Post Op- Not Losing?

I had surgery 3/27/12 and had my first fill 5/9/12. I have not really lost any weight in 6 weeks. I lost about 11 pounds after surgery but stalled at 233. I thought once I got my first fill (3cc) that I would start losing again… but so far nothing. I don’t feel any restriction and can still eat a plate full of food. I’m trying to make better food decisions but I don’t understand why I can still eat so much? I had 4cc in my band at my first adjustment but I wasn’t able to swallow Water so the doctor took out 1cc. How can that be? I can’t get water down at 4cc but I can eat whatever at 3cc? What types of food are you eating when your band has little restriction? I have been working out… a lot. (For me). I started running/walking and I’m doing 3-5 miles 2-3 times a week and on the days I don’t run I work out on my stayball and play Wii sports. I also got one of those Nike Fuel bands to help track my activity level and I know that I’m being active… feel totally disappointed right now. Need help :(

There's nothing in a fill that will magically make you lose weight, unfortunately, and it often takes several fills to achieve optimal restriction. And yes, just 1 cc can make a big difference.

Please try to avoid eating a big plateful of food. Doing that can overload your esophagus and stomach and eventually cause your band to slip. If you're physically hungry between meals, have a small healthy snack.< /p>

The best foods to eat (with or without restriction) are SOLID foods because they provide the most satiety. Avoid soft or slider foods (milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, crispy crackers or chips, mashed potatoes, pudding, ice cream, milkshakes, Protein shakes, fruit juice or smoothies, scrambled eggs, anything pureed). Emphasize solid animal Protein, fish/shellfish, soy/tofu, hard-cooked eggs, beans; non-starchy vegetables & fruits; and whole grains (brown rice, bulgur, barley, quinoa, thick crackers (like Wasa).

You're actually doing fine. You're making good lifestyle changes with better food choices and exercise. I know it's frustrating to be stalled like this, but hang in there!

Try not to get discouraged. I had the same experience. I lost eleven pounds while on the pre-op sugar busters diet and post-op liquid diet, then, immediately hit the wall. I was losing about a pound and a half each month and it made me crazy. The important thing to do is stick with the plan. Get your Protein, Water, Vitamin and exercise in every day.

Some people are "turtle" banders like me. It was not until my band was over half full that I began to feel real restriction. Now, I'm losing about two pounds per week and I am so happy. I still drag myself down to the gym. I still goof up and eat the wrong things sometimes. But, its a process, a journey as they say. I hope knowing that there many people that have been where you are will inspire you to push through the next couple of months. If I can do it, ha, anyone can.

I did not get restriction until 10.6 CC! Buy a scale and weigh your Protein. My doctor says 3 oz. Trust me there is only so much raw carrot or peppers that you can eat after you've had 3 oz of Protein.

I would try doing regular cardio at least 5 days a week for an hour. Sounds harsh I know. I am a slooooowwwww looser even though I stay below 1200 cals a day and do 1.5-2.5 hr cardio daily.

I didn't lose much (maybe 5 lbs) the first 4 mthsafter getting the band. Until my 3rd fill, actually. I think it was about 7cc in a 14 cc band. Until then, I pretty much ate like I did before the band - junk and alot of it. I guess I was waiting for the "Magic" the kick in and keep me from eating. And it did! My first meal after feeling restriction consisted of 4 bites of chicken, 4 bites of baked potatoe and 3 bites of broccoli. I was stuffed.

It'll happen. You just have to be patient. That's my biggest "hint" to new banders - be patient. Some people get restriction right away, most have to wait for a while. Good luck!

Marci

Right there with Marci. 5 lbs in my first 5 months as a bandster. Big whoop. After my 3rd fill, then the weight loss started as my restriction kept my food levels down. Bands don't cause weight loss. Lower food intake and exercise do. And sometimes not even then, frustrating as it may be. If you were eating 3000 calories a day before, when you needed 1500 to maintain, and now you are eating 2000 a day and exercising 500 worth, you will maintain or lose very slowly.

Walking a mile burns about 100 calories per mile. Woot..not a lot. So we think we are tearing it up, but really? It's great for us, but calorie burn? ah well. When you can get your calories down to 1000-1200 you'll start to see more losses. When you reach the green zone of restriction that will be easier to do.

I lost on average 0.75 pounds per week during actively losing. Not alot, but enough to get over 70 lbs off and keep them gone. Happy? Oh yeah!