Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am 2 days post op and I came home yesterday. I just took my Calcium chewables. They are Gummy and I may be experiencing my first "stuck" feeling. I tried to pulverize them in my mouth, but now my stomach hurts. They want me to have No less than 800 calories, but I can only have 1 ounce of liquid every 15 minutes, also inserting my supplements and pain meds in between. It seems impossible tofit it all in. I am afraid of dehydration, I already feels dry. Prior to surgery I drank a ton of Water, so my body is most likely missing it. Since I have to drink 64 ounces of liquid and that can't all be water, I don't see how I won't get dehydrated. Anyone have this crazy drinking schedule.

My doctor told me not take Vitamins for the first two weeks. I think the 1 oz per hour is so that people who don't like to drink Water get all their Water. I would'nt drink less water just so you make sure to follow their schedule.

For liquid calories I had 8 oz of broth (and broth has like 20 calories) and then like an hour later a Protein shake. I would drink water after that until my next "meal"

I was told not to use the gummies. I use the vitactiv Calcium and flintstones chewables for a daily vitiamin. The vitactiv will actually dissolve in your mouth as you chew them.

As for the dehydration---I was on the same schedule. When you leave the hospital they have pumped you up with a lot of fluids to help keep you from dehydrating. The 1 oz every 15 mins is to keep you from gulping the fluids down. Just keep sip, sip sipping all day and you should be able to get the 64 oz in. I rotated between Water, broth, and the New whey Protein (its like kool-aid). I also used the unjury chicken broth....it has like 22 grams of Protein in a cup.

I also found that I did better with room temp or even warm beverages than I did with the ice cold stuff. The warmer stuff seemed to relax my stomach muscles.

Hang in there it will get better....but just remember if you have any concerns....call your doctors office....thats what they are there for.....make them work for their big bucks!!

Don't push it. If you feel pain or nausea that's your body telling you to stop. I would say that most of us have gone through what you're going through. My doctor instructed me to start my chewable vitamins on day 4... every doctor is different.

For the first week after surgery, I was lucky if I could get in 400 calories a day. It was just way too uncomfortable. I concentrated on my Protein Shakes, since the Protein helps with healing. By week 2, I started getting my appetite back. My week 4-5 I was back to normal.

You're only 2 days post op.. rest, relax and take this one day at a time. If you get to a point where you can't keep hardly anything down or are in an unsual amount of pain, call your surgeon immediately or go to the ER. If that stuck feeling doesn't go away, and you try taking in fluids and they come back up, you'll have to go in. Do you know if they put any Fluid in your band during surgery?

Some doctors put in 2cc during surgery.

Good luck and welcome to the group!

Angela

Definitely skip the Vitamins until you feel like you've healed a little... Missing a week won't hurt you long term, but stuck when your stitches haven't healed yet... ?

I told my doc I took gummy vitamins and he said wait 5 days prior to resuming them.

Thanks everyone. I am doin much better today. I cut the gummies in half and spend about a half hour getting them in. I also spread my multi,pain meds, colace, Vitamin D, out through the day. It is my first day getting all my fluids and protien in. I increased the rate of drinking as I could tolerate, now am able to do 8 ounces in 30 min with no discomfort. I just sip the rest of the day. I guess I needed a day or two to get used to drinking slowly.