Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a 27 year old. I'm 5'0 and weigh 251 lbs...I am unsure if I should get it done. I am border line diabetic ..my thyroid is also not under control. I'm undecided. Please give me input. Thanks

I am 23, 5'7" and weighed 250-260 at the start of my process. I have hypothyroidism, but have been medicated for it since January.

Prior to deciding on WLS, I had tried so many diets and exercises to lose the weight and always failed. I figured that if I couldn't do it working my hardest, I might as well get WLS because the weight wasn't coming off any other way and I'd rather get the band now without all of the other health problems related to obesity than get it later on top of those problems.

Ultimately, it is a very, very personal decision. Think long and hard of the changes you will need to make in your life and decide if you are really ready to commit to these changes.

Thanks so much..me and my friend were just talking about that. I do get results when I diet and exercise but when I stop I gain double ...this is definitely my heaviest =( I need a lot of help..I really don't know what to do ..

I am in the same state of mind as you, I want to get a lap band but I have such a fear. what if it doesnt work but what if I dont do something..... I keep loosing then gaining more

I am 5'8"280lbs. I remeber being 190 lbs and thinking I gotta loose that is my goal weight now ugh

I am 23, 5'7" and weighed 250-260 at the start of my process. I have hypothyroidism, but have been medicated for it since January.

Prior to deciding on WLS, I had tried so many diets and exercises to lose the weight and always failed. I figured that if I couldn't do it working my hardest, I might as well get WLS because the weight wasn't coming off any other way and I'd rather get the band now without all of the other health problems related to obesity than get it later on top of those problems.

Ultimately, it is a very, very personal decision. Think long and hard of the changes you will need to make in your life and decide if you are really ready to commit to these changes.

Your so right make a choice and committ to the changes!!

To me it sounds like a good first step is getting your thyroid under control, once that happens maybe you can focus on what you want regarding WLS. Good LUCK!!

just takeit one step at a time. I am sure once you feel successful in controlling your thyroid you will be motivated to tackle your weight. ; )

Thanks so much..me and my friend were just talking about that. I do get results when I diet and exercise but when I stop I gain double ...this is definitely my heaviest =( I need a lot of help..I really don't know what to do ..

I would say if you want to give formal weight loss one more go, do it. I would even say do a supervised diet like you would be required to do for insurance (if you have insurance, this would be a plus and possibly one of the requirements you would have to satisfy anyways). This way you can really decide if you can do it alone or if you need the band as a tool.

I can honestly say the last big diet hurrah I did consisted on exercise 5-6 days a week and 1200 calories a day for 5 months. After 3 months, I stopped losing, and at 5 I decided all the work and diet was not worth it if I wasn't seeing results and was always hungry.

With the band, I acclimated to the lower calories for my pre-op diet and post-op diet. I am technically on a "diet" now, but with my second fill I can definitely feel the restriction and am forced to eat slower and eat less. I feel so hopeful and excited about my band and the idea that food will no longer rule me. Heck, even at almost two months post op, food is not the main focus anymore!

just takeit one step at a time. I am sure once you feel successful in controlling your thyroid you will be motivated to tackle your weight. ; )

Yes I'm sure I will..you would think ..being 27 id learn by now lol..

I would say if you want to give formal weight loss one more go' date=' do it. I would even say do a supervised diet like you would be required to do for insurance (if you have insurance, this would be a plus and possibly one of the requirements you would have to satisfy anyways). This way you can really decide if you can do it alone or if you need the band as a tool.

I can honestly say the last big diet hurrah I did consisted on exercise 5-6 days a week and 1200 calories a day for 5 months. After 3 months, I stopped losing, and at 5 I decided all the work and diet was not worth it if I wasn't seeing results and was always hungry.

With the band, I acclimated to the lower calories for my pre-op diet and post-op diet. I am technically on a "diet" now, but with my second fill I can definitely feel the restriction and am forced to eat slower and eat less. I feel so hopeful and excited about my band and the idea that food will no longer rule me. Heck, even at almost two months post op, food is not the main focus anymore![/quote']

Yea..I need help..I have tried on my own and just don't see the results I need and want..my health is for me of couru..but my son is a huge reason as well. I want to be there for everything =) so we shall see what happens..I'm just lost at this point

Schedule one of the seminars and see if it sounds like something you'd want to do. Maybe try to find local bandsters in your area and meet up with them and talk about your desires and expectations and see what they say.

I'm a 27 year old. I'm 5'0 and weigh 251 lbs...I am unsure if I should get it done. I am border line diabetic ..my thyroid is also not under control. I'm undecided. Please give me input. Thanks

The decision of whether or not to proceed with WLS needs to be carefully considered, because the lifestyle changes which are required are made for life. No one but you are able to process your motivations and priorities for your life but you.

There have been 3 other times in my life when I lost significant amounts of weight; after 2 pregnancies (first time I lost 85 pounds, then I lost 65 pounds after my third son), and once after gaining weight with medication I was prescribed (lost 60 pounds). Between those 3 episodes, I was able to maintain a healthy weight of 130. About 10 years ago, it was medication again which caused the weight gain which stayed with me until having my WLS this past February. I had tried to loose the weight on my own, but being post menopause, my metabolism would not help me the way that it did when I was younger.

What caused me to move forward with the surgery was finding out that my A1C levels had crossed the threshold of a diabetes diagnosis. I successfully lowered the A1C with diet and exercise, but then I was in a serious car accident, and could not be active except for physical therapy for 5 months. My insulin resistance was worse, and I knew that I would never be a compliant diabetic. The band provided the opportunity to regain some of the health that my excess weight was taking from me.

The weight loss journey is not an easy one, but one which I strongly feel that most everyone is pleased with the results of their hard work. Loosing the excess weight while you are young, you should be able to avoid many of the health issues which present when you are older.

IMHO, your mileage may vary. Good luck with your continuing deliberations!

i dont have a thyroid cond, but definetly had the "i cant lose weight " syndrome. I looked into the band after 2 relatives were successful with it, and saw nothing but positives . So i was banded last December and so far ive gone from 225 lbs to 187 in 5 months. i look and feel 100 % better, my sleep apnea and bp are getting better, & my digestive probs are gone. Ive gone from a chunky size 18-20 (im 5'3) to a much better size 16, and getting lots of nice compliments too. ( When was the last time some one said "Girl, you are smokin !!!!"??? it was an old friend i had'nt seen in awhile. but it still made my day !) I dont have a single regret about getting the band, im just hoping the weight loss continues and i stay healthy. So go for it !!!

To me this isnt cosmetic surgery it is a medical need, if you dont go ahead and get WLS what will change in your life, how will you make sure that your inability to lose weight on your own doesnt continue. I saw this as a means to becoming well again, like having a knee replacement to walk again, to me WLS was a medical intervention to get me living again.

Its a minor operation that can bring about major change if you are willing to commit to making it work.

Personally i dont see it a big decision, all the what if it doesnt work, what if i fail, negative what ifs need to be aired but so do the what if i make this work, what if i am successful, what if this is the best decision i have ever made ..

None of your medical problems will improve if you dont lose weight... To me, making the decision to get surgical intervention is the first step, then decide which weight loss surgery is right for you .. or you could always chance to luck and apply to the biggest loser :)