Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello my friends

Well i guess you guys keep hearing the same introductions. Here goes mine. I just have made up mi mind and I will get the lap band in Mexico hopefully by the end of March.

Honestly Im terrified, I hope you guys understand how i feel. What its killing me if that I dont knwo if this desiciton i just made is of desperation of last hope or the right one. I just cant take it anymore. DOnt know what to do .

Im a 31 year single guy, never been slim in my life, I make a preety decent living but feel i cant enjoy my succeses.

In the last year Its been two times that i have chicken out at the last minute on doing the surgery. I will do it this time.

The more i research the more confused i get.

I need some encouraging words please, just found this amazing site with amazing people.

Thanks

Bill

Welcome Bill! You have to come to the right place for answers & support. Kick your shoes off, cozy up to your keyboard & ask away!!! Oh yeah, nice to meet you!

Hi Bill, we are close in age and I just had my surgery Wednesday, but it took me years to come to the decision to do it. For a long time I kept telling myself, "I will try XYZ diet, and if in X amount of time I'm still overweight, I will seriously look into it." After doing that for four years, I had several failed diet attempts & few pounds lost to show for all that time.

When I truly started getting serious about it, around a year ago, my questions took a different tone. I started asking myself, "...but what if I do this, when in reality just one more diet attempt could have been a success?" I also had some opinion roadblocks I had to get past, because I did tend to think of this as any easy, or perhaps desperate, way out. It took a while to change that thinking and "come to terms" with my thoughts about doing this, but once I did it I never really looked back.

If you believe you might be doing this out of desperation - so what? I think a lot of people here are in the same boat. Desperation to get healthier, to try and preserve as much life longevity as they could, to get off medications, to be able to regain their mobility, etc. There's nothing wrong with being desperate to get the weight off. iw ould advise you just make sure you do your research, know what you're getting into, and make an informed decision rather than a blind one.

Best wishes, and welcome to the board!

You men a pretty good at laying back and enjoying the ride.HA HA HA

To be honest it will be a great ride full of excitment but as above make sure you know the ride you are getting onto.This is still a diet in a way ,the one you can't have a day off from.You will get results and they are achievable but there is a price and everyone pays a different price.Mine is I haven't been able to eat red meat for over 12 months which is fine 99% of the time but I have to say Iam over fish and chicken.Iam from an Indian family and am no longer able to consume rice which is a real pain as this is usually the basis of every meal.Saying that I love being slimmer,I love looking 10 years younger,I love having loads of energy.I love feeling what I think most people feel like....never worrying about how I look anymore.Being banded is great but do fing out as much as you can with preference speeking to someone first hand.Best of luck with your choices.

Hi Bill and Welcome !!

What are you nevous about? the actual surgery or what your going to have to do after the procedure (diet, exercise, etc?).

Everyone gets scared before the procedure, some folks are afraid of the actual surgery (raising hand here), and some are afraid they won't be able to lose after surgery, these feelings are VERY normal.

What helped me decide to have the surgery was the fact that I wasn't getting any younger, and I WAS getting fatter by the day. I didn't and don't want to spend the rest of my life sitting on the couch watching my life go by.

No one can make this decision for you, but you. Obviously you've come this far so that tells me you feel you need it.

Good luck Bill with your decision, I know you'll make the right choice for you.

Hugs !!!!

Hi Bill!! Welcome!! And congrats on making one of the toughest & most exciting decision of your life! There's a great group of men here on the board, and always room for more! :)

I think the fact that the surgery exists offers hope... which is dangerous! I had given up hope, and getting it back hurt! I'm 3 weeks out from surgery... I was terrified of dying during the procedure, hehe, though it's very safe. And now that the surgery is over, I have time to worry about failing, etc, lol. I'm a professional worrier! :) But I really think this is going to work -- with or without my worry. Too cool!

I read a post yesterday about someone losing weight without conscious effort -- the band just keeps the food amount down & the weight comes off. How cool is that!!! I'm not there yet (I don't have any fill so far), but I can't wait until I am!

If you have specific worries / questions, feel free to ask 'em. We love answering questions! :) And we have folks that run the full gamut of emotions, so no matter what the question, most likely someone's been there. :)

Welcome to the journey!!

Welcome aboard!!

If you're looking for a wide spectrum of ideas about this whole lapband concept, you've definitely come to the right place! You'll find folks from all walks of life, with all kinds of different experiences... as Janet said, feel free to ask anything that comes to mind. I'm guessing that anything you ask/experience/worry about will be something that someone here has gone through as well...