Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brand New To The Group - Lap Band Has Slipped

I am brand new to this group. So glad I found you guys. I had my lapband placed in 2008. I lost 35lbs. I got pregnant in 2011 and delivered my son on New Years Eve. Since then, I've been having horrible horrible stomach pains and right shoulder blade pain. I went to the Gastroenterologist and he did an endoscopy. He said my gallbladder looks fine (which surprised me since the symptoms I'm having tend to be gall bladder related normally). Said I have severe espohogitis and that there is a prolapse near my band that is causing food to get stuck rather than go down. He called my Dr. and described what he was seeing and they both agreed I needed an upper GI. I had that this morning and the Dr. that performed it said the band has slipped. I made an appointment with my Lapband Dr.

I was told before I had the surgery that if I were to become pregnant that they take out all the Fluid. When I went in they decided to only take out some and leave the rest. I can't help but wonder if going through labor is what caused the slippage. I am so worried about having the surgery to either fix this or have it removed. The GI Dr. and the Lapband Dr. both told each other they consider this a failure since I only lost 35lbs. On my 5'2" frame, 35lbs is a lot. I only had 15lbs left to lose really. I had definitely plateaued but I don't feel like the band was a failure. Is there a certain weight loss threshold that they consider successful vs. failure?

I'm not sure what to do because everytime I eat I get a horrible horrible stomach ache immediately. The Upper GI Dr. wasn't sure what would be causing it. And it doesn't matter what I eat. oatmeal, salad etc. It's all the same.

Any of you have this problem and what have you done?

Thanks for reading!

Corey

I am sorry for their attitudes. You don't sound like a failure to me! You are probably right in thinking that labor caused your slip.

I had aslip, and had a revision done withut replacement. Best wishes to you, and congrats on the birth of your baby. Karen

Thank you Karen for your kind words. I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion from my friend's lapband Dr. before I have mine do anything.

this is your body and your choice, don't ever let your dr. tell you otherwise. Congrats on your baby. I'd find a surgon who will be willing to either repostion your band or give you another type of WLS surgery. Many doctors completely empty the band durring pregnacy and some only partially deflate it. it depends on how well they understand what happens to your anatomy durring pregnancy. I'm so sorry your doctor is an idiot, find a new doctor asap.