Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band Caused Me To Get Turned Down For Private Insurance!

We lost our insurance through work, due to a "reduction in work force" termination. No problem, I'm pretty healthy so I'll just go out and get a high (I mean really high) deductible health insurance plan.

I just found out that because I have a lap-band, I was denied coverage! Since being banded my health has improved dramatically and I've been able to quit taking two quite expensive prescription medications, but that obviously doesn't matter to BCBS!! And now I can't get health insurance anywhere else because about the fourth question in any application is "Have you ever been denied health coverage". I would have even been satisfied with just catastrophic coverage, but I can't even get that now.

As frustrating as it is, I still don't regret getting the band. If I hadn't gotten the band, I'm sure I would have been denied due to high blood pressure and GERD anyway. Seems like it's just another form of obesity discrimination -- damned if you do, and damned if you don't!

I am self employed & could not get insurance b/c I was taking more than two antidepressants. I got insurance through the Texas high risk pool which is double normal rates. Now that I'm only taking two pills I checked into new insurance. The agent checked & said the two she checked with would not take me b/c of my lap band surgery in September 2011. However she said one, maybe Aetna, said they would consider after one year. I'm hoping to be at goal then & will try again. I would still have had my surgery. Also, she said she would not use my personal info when checking, only initials. So I'm assuming I haven't been "officially" turned down. It's really ridiculous b/c I was self pay & now will be healthier than ever.

Good luck!

I'm so sorry you are having troubles. I never thought about that aspect of the surgery. It seems like even if you had your wisdom teeth pulled it's considered a pre existing condition and they'll turn you down. *sigh* it's all very discouraging. I'm glad you guys said you're happy you did it anyway. I'm preop so this weighs on my mind.

Sorry if i sound ignorant but what health ins covered your lapband surgery in the first place. Do they have a private plan?

Thats outrageous for one insurer to cover the procedure but others to deny you bacause of that same procedure.

Thats just wrong

We lost our insurance through work, due to a "reduction in work force" termination. No problem, I'm pretty healthy so I'll just go out and get a high (I mean really high) deductible health insurance plan.

I just found out that because I have a lap-band, I was denied coverage! Since being banded my health has improved dramatically and I've been able to quit taking two quite expensive prescription medications, but that obviously doesn't matter to BCBS!! And now I can't get health insurance anywhere else because about the fourth question in any application is "Have you ever been denied health coverage". I would have even been satisfied with just catastrophic coverage, but I can't even get that now.

As frustrating as it is, I still don't regret getting the band. If I hadn't gotten the band, I'm sure I would have been denied due to high blood pressure and GERD anyway. Seems like it's just another form of obesity discrimination -- damned if you do, and damned if you don't!

Can you stay on it thru COBRA. I think they have to let you?

Can you stay on it thru COBRA. I think they have to let you?

Oh, yeah, but the price of COBRA is absolutely outrageous, especially when you've lost an income! It is our only option, so we're going to have to suck it up and do it, but at $1,558.13 a month, it's going to be painful!

Oh, yeah, but the price of COBRA is absolutely outrageous, especially when you've lost an income! It is our only option, so we're going to have to suck it up and do it, but at $1,558.13 a month, it's going to be painful!

OMg that cost is awful for you, wouldnt u be better off just putting the money in a savings account and pay for what treatment u need ? that would give u around $18,000 a year ..

am so glad i live in the UK and dont have such problems ..u have my symapthy ... good luck !

I actually applied for life insurance about 9 mths after having the band placed. They doubled my premium because I guess I have a greater chance of dying now that I'm no longer obese! Doesn't make sense.

I could see a medical insurance saying that nothing related to the band would be covered, but not denied. I guess we're being punichsed for getting healthier!

Marci

Sorry if i sound ignorant but what health ins covered your lapband surgery in the first place. Do they have a private plan?

Thats outrageous for one insurer to cover the procedure but others to deny you bacause of that same procedure.

Thats just wrong

The really ironic thing is my insurance was with Blue Cross Blue Shield and they covered my band surgery 100% without batting an eyelash! The company I applied to for the private insurance that turned me down was Blue Cross Blue Shield!! Go figure!

OMg that cost is awful for you, wouldnt u be better off just putting the money in a savings account and pay for what treatment u need ? that would give u around $18,000 a year ..

am so glad i live in the UK and dont have such problems ..u have my symapthy ... good luck !

We briefly considered this, but one hospital stay if one of us, say, had a heart attack or something could ruin us financially. We're trying to make it through this period of unemployment without jeopardizing our financial future, so we just can't afford to take that gamble.

Reading things like this makes me very happy I live in Aus. Our healthcare system is not perfect, far from it but at least i know that even if I didn't have private health insurance I would get the medical help I needed - eventually! Having private health insurance here is quite weird. It lowers what you pay in tax, it means that you get medical procedures done quicker but it also means that you end up paying more for them because of the ridiculous out of pocket expenses.

We lost our insurance through work' date=' due to a "reduction in work force" termination. No problem, I'm pretty healthy so I'll just go out and get a high (I mean really high) deductible health insurance plan.

As frustrating as it is, I still don't regret getting the band. If I hadn't gotten the band, I'm sure I would have been denied due to high blood pressure and GERD anyway. Seems like it's just another form of obesity discrimination -- damned if you do, and damned if you don't![/quote']

Check out high risk pool for your state. I was reject by bcbs because surgery was less then year old. When I called recently I was told had to be at 215 so bmi would be low enough. So still on high risk insurance. Also when you apply ask for a low income reduction. I had to send stubs from unemployment. Reduced my premium by 200. Doesn't cover fulls though.

I was turned down/denied private health insurance a few years back because I was overweight. Maybe I should contact that same insurance and see if they turn me down because of the band. I bet they would and now my BMI is "normal".