Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does having a small bowl of Soup before dinner contradict the "no liquids before eating" rule?

Just curious cause I know it's common especially at restaurants to order a small soup prior to the meal. Feels kinda good though while everyone else is pigging out on buffalo wings and chili cheese fries!!! Lol :)

It probably does, however I don't think drinking Water before I eat affects my meal at all. (after yes, before no). If you can afford the calories I say no harm done.

TKW is probably right. If it's real thin it will go right through to your stomach so it shouldn't pose any problems other than excess calories. I find that a salad goes down easy too and with a side of low-fat, low carb dressing would be better for you.

tmf

Thanks 2much.... Yes, a nice crisp side salad beats a Soup anytime! I was just wondering

About it being a no-no or not before meals.:)

I love Soup. All kinds. I really miss eating soup. I work from home so it was easy to eat a low fat/calorie soup but it doesn't stick so I was back in the kitchen eating the wrong stuff 2 hours or less later. If you don't eat out a lot one small soup isn't going to blow your plans up.

LOL..I could go on and on about the stuff I miss. I've been craving waffles lately.

tmf

Yes I haven't had a waffle in ages!

When were u banded? How has your progress been?

I was banded 2/14/12 and down 19 lbs so far. Slowly but surely.

11/28/11 and only down 24 lbs. So, much slower than you and I'm on fill 5 and have a fill appt for fill 6 this Friday. I didn't start to see restriction till March and had plateaued for 3 /12 months shortly after my surgery. But it seems to be working much better now and just needing some tweaks to get to the almight green zone.

tmf

We will get there!!

I am on fill #2, have 5cc in my band. I only feel restriction in the late am, closer to lunch time.

My next fill will be may 29th. I'm hoping that 3rd times a charm!!

I have had Soup before my dinner ever since i was banded 14 months ago and it has never ever caused a problem and my surgeon has no problems with it either, given how much weight i have lost he is telling others to try it too if they have issues with being too hungry by dinner time and rushing eating or eaating too much etc, soup half fills u up before u start on the heavier calories ..

It has been well researched under nutritional guidelines called volumetrics .. which advocates feeling satisfied with fewer calories .. i use a weight watchers Tomato Soup which has 71 calories i think and tastes the better one out of the ww Soups :)

Thank you Cazzy.:)

But doesn't it slip right through the band into the larger stomach as 2muchfun mentioned earlier?

Ooohh I had sushi last weekend... Sooo awesome. All went down perfectly fine, but I have since had my 2nd fill. Next time we go out for sushi I'll be sure to order my miso just in case!!!

Yes I haven't had a waffle in ages!

When were u banded? How has your progress been?

I was banded 2/14/12 and down 19 lbs so far. Slowly but surely.

Just curious JennyBee (and not to discourage you in anyway...as I'm just learning and observing alot). It seems you have been banded 3 months now....and you are down only 19lbs. I've noticed a trend that people conservatively average 10lbs a month in the first few months.

Noticed you were under 200lbs before surgery...so you are more tiny then most (and maybe this is it)....but I'm wondering how the whole diet thing is playing into your current trend of losing roughly 6lbs per month.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Blessings Jenny...I'm encouraged by your openness and your contributions!

Thanks for the encouragement Marketingdude...

My starting weight was 163. I have a small frame and am around 5 ft tall....I need to lose 45 pounds to reach my goal weight. As of this morning I'm down 21 pounds, 24 more to go.

My doctor predicts that by September I should be there, so I'm moving right along. I'm sure if I exercised more it would be quicker, but I'll take it. Slowly but surely!

Just curious JennyBee (and not to discourage you in anyway...as I'm just learning and observing alot). It seems you have been banded 3 months now....and you are down only 19lbs. I've noticed a trend that people conservatively average 10lbs a month in the first few months.

Noticed you were under 200lbs before surgery...so you are more tiny then most (and maybe this is it)....but I'm wondering how the whole diet thing is playing into your current trend of losing roughly 6lbs per month.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Blessings Jenny...I'm encouraged by your openness and your contributions!

I know this was directed at Jenny, but if you read Lap Band's website, you will see they say 1-2 lbs per week is average loss for band patinets. Jenny having lost 6 lbs per month on average is right in the middle, spot on.

For many, it takes SEVERAL months of adjustments before steady progess is achieved. My surgeon said 6 lbs per month would be good for me once I got to my sweet spot. I hit my sweet spot about 5 months post-op. I never did reach that goal 6 lbs per month goal. It was more like 3-4 lbs per month. He was happy that I kept losing month after month, and now 2 years after I stopped losing, he is very happy that I am easily maintaining that weight.

When I was three months post-op, I was down a whopping 5 pounds. Now I am at 75 lbs gone and gone for 2 years. At a normal BMI, normal blood sugar, low-normal blood pressure, normal cholesterol.

Being banded is not a quick weight loss plan, if you are looking for that, look at gastic bypass.

I know this was directed at Jenny, but if you read Lap Band's website, you will see they say 1-2 lbs per week is average loss for band patinets. Jenny having lost 6 lbs per month on average is right in the middle, spot on.

For many, it takes SEVERAL months of adjustments before steady progess is achieved. My surgeon said 6 lbs per month would be good for me once I got to my sweet spot. I hit my sweet spot about 5 months post-op. I never did reach that goal 6 lbs per month goal. It was more like 3-4 lbs per month. He was happy that I kept losing month after month, and now 2 years after I stopped losing, he is very happy that I am easily maintaining that weight.

When I was three months post-op, I was down a whopping 5 pounds. Now I am at 75 lbs gone and gone for 2 years. At a normal BMI, normal blood sugar, low-normal blood pressure, normal cholesterol.

Being banded is not a quick weight loss plan, if you are looking for that, look at gastic bypass.

No ....definately in it for the LONG term. Never was a short term guy in terms of the things I get involved with or in. Just came with that observation based on people's reported weight loss. Obviously, the more you weight before surgery...the more people will "tend" to lose.

Jenny seems like a little thing to begin with compared to the average bandster...so this makes complete sense too. I'm so happy for everyone losing all this weight....it encourages me to talk and observe this with all of you.

Congrats again !