Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could it be my Gall Bladder ?

I have had pain between my shoulder blades for about a week, more on right side and last friday it was so bad that it was making me feel sick. It has eased off a bit but is still there. Having read another post I am concerned that it could be my Gall Bladder. I mentioned it to my Doc and she has given me laxatives, she seemed unconcerned.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am just over a year post op and band is fairly tight at the moment but I dont think too tight. I am able to take fluids and eat solids.

Gaynor

You might talk to your band doctor. Evidently gall bladder issues are common among people who lose alot of weight (WLS or not). Your surgeon might be a little more intuned to the issue at hand (unless that's the doc you were talking about?).

When was your last fill? Did you have any pb's that might have made you tighter or swollen? A simple test can tell you if it is your gallbladder.

My last fill was the beginning of Jan 06 and I must admit I have had plenty of pbs although tey are less frequent these days. Do you think that could be the cause ??

Actually, it is only easy to diagonise your gall bladder if you have gall stones. I have been having problems with my gall bladder for over a year, however, I don't have gall stones. what type of pain is it? sharp, burning? I would definitely have both the gall bladder and the band checked out. Good luck.

its kinda like a burning pain and sometimes I get a sharp pain when I inhale, although I have to say it feels a lot better today.

My pain comes and goes and it is a burning type pain. Burning pain sometimes indicates a problem with acids. Do you take a regular acid controller like pepcid ac? That may help.

You might want to do some kind of serch on it maybe WebMD... I know I had that kind of pain a while back.. and thought it was gas, and my band Dr. said it had to do with my Diaphragm or something im not to sure, he wasnt worried about it... and it went away so i never thought about it again... Sorry I couldnt help, and I hope you get to feeling better soon

I had my gall bladder removed & the pain is nothing like you've described. You actually feel 90% of the pain in your stomach area. (It's actually the gall bladder that's hurting. You just know the pain is somewhere in the vicinity of your abdomen.) If it's your gall bladder you will have the worst pains after you eat fatty foods.

I always go to WebMD to find out the symptoms of something. Look up Gallbladder & it will give you all kinds of info. And, if you have any of those symptoms, print it out & bring it to your doctor. My pain wasn't diagnosed until I finally went to the ER with severe pain where they did an ex-ray to see stones in my gallbladder. The pain was unbearable!!!

Good luck to you!!!

Gaynor, try doing liquids for a few days, and take the Pepcid AC or Prilosec...all to get your band soothed to see if the burning pain goes away. I suspect you are too tight...just a tad. When you go back to regular foods, be careful and keep a food journal. You may be able to ease back into eating, you may need a small unfill. Sometimes just .1cc will do it! Let us know.

OK......I am just going thru this. Tuesday night I woke up with horrible pains in my stomach which wrapped around to my back. My back pains are in the middle of the back. I have since met with my regular doctor and I had a ultrasound this morning, and YES I have gall stones. Soooo I am scheduled for surgery on Friday. I don't know if this helps you at all, but it is always worth checking into.

Thanks all for your words of wisdom, the pain has now gone, so I am hoping that whatever it was has sorted itself out. But I will keep an eye on things and see how i go.

Thanks Again

Gaynor

Gallbladder pain is different for everyone. I just had mine removed and dairy was waht really set my pain in high gear. I didn't have a single gall stone but my gallbladder was shutting down. An ultrasound was normal for me I had to have a HIDA scan to show the function of the gallbladder. I have been pain free since surgery. My pain was under my ribcage, felt like a balloon being inflated inside the ribcage and then someone trying to pop that balloon with a very sharp knife. ~Mandy