Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 23 days post op....I had today turkey deli slices...I chopped the turkey up into extremely small pieces, atr slowly, no drinking till I was done. The amount of turkey was maybe a palm of hand portion..

I then had all the stuck symptoms...chest pressure, back pain, shoulder pain.....this has lasted for over 3 hours...the main pain in the back is still there...I have been sipping Water..and the Water trinkles down and then the pressure starts all over again..

Has anyone had this scenario happen??? what do I do next?

Thanks

If Water is going down, try sipping on hot tea. Hot liquids can relax and open the band a bit. Sipping on some warm pineapple juice or chewing a few papaya enzymes can help -- both are natural meat tenderizers. You can get papaya enzymes at Vitamin stores and someone said that Walmart carries them.

Walking, moving your arms (like if you are doing the "chicken dance"), raising your arms above your head and jumping up and down have helped. But you will feel a little silly.

After the stuck clears, I'd stick with liquids for a day or so.

Feel better!

My first stuck went on for 5 hours and Water would NOT go down. Walking seems to be the best thing for me. Papaya enzymes are in most Vitamin sections. Walgreens has them. I just got some to carry in my purse, haven't tried them yet. pineapple juice didn't do squat for me.

Until you are out of pain, I don't suggest sipping Water, but that is me. I've been known to chug some water, which starts the launch sequence and will bring the water and the offending item UP. Immediately.

The book answer is to wait it out, though.

I hope you feel better soon!

I am feeling a bit better....will do the liquids for the rest of the day...

what is strange, is that the band has NO saline in it..as I do not get filled for another 12 days...wondering if this continues will I need a fill?

I am feeling a bit better....will do the liquids for the rest of the day...

what is strange, is that the band has NO saline in it..as I do not get filled for another 12 days...wondering if this continues will I need a fill?

..well, ive thought this through as well. ive been stuck more than once. its got more to do with the easophagus and a small pouch than a fill in the band. the band is on the bottom end of the pouch, which separates the pouch now from the bigger stomach portion. I think its all to do with how big a mouthful, and how long you chew, also how long do you wait in between mouthfuls, more than any fill. It takes two good perastaltic spasms to move each mouthful(teaspoonful) down through the aesophagus into the pouch.(that takes up to 25 sceonds, and if you tune in to it you can feel it passing the food down) Because the pouch is so small and the food cant pass through so quickly into the larger stomach portion, it backs up. Especially if you eat too large a mouthful , dont chew enough, and dont wait for the aesophagus to clear the bolus of food into the pouch. Ive been eating more, but not having stuck problems because im learning now to CHEW, CHEW CHEW and WAIT. i think this is the secret with it all.

I have my first fill on wednesday. i dont have any fill in my band yet.

Even though you don't have a "fill" there is swelling from the surgery and some surgeons do put a little saline in. If you got stuck already, take the lesson you learned and remember how it feels. I am almost two years out and still occasionally get stuck! Chew, chew, chew and chew some more. Don't get distracted while eating and forget to chew enough. Don't try to drink while you eat- not ever! It will make more things get stuck- strangely enough... Hang in there- you made the right decision!

Thanks for the advice....I do wait and chew...but maybe I took too much of a forkful and that is the problem..

I use Papaya Enzyme and it works for me..... hope you feel better

Thanks for the advice....I do wait and chew...but maybe I took too much of a forkful and that is the problem..

..i know its hard but if you cut your food up to bite sized portions and then put the knife and fork away, and use a teaspoon, you will far greater control over your bites. ive had to learn that the hard way

4 years banded and I still get stuck, granted it is usually operator error. The level of fill in your band does have influence on getting stuck along with bite sizes and chewing. When I was overfilled, I got stuck on mashed potatoes and yogurt.

You might indeed have some fill that was put in during surgery, they call it primer. I did not know it at the time, but I had 2cc put in during surgery. When it comes time for your fill talk over with your surgeon what you are eating, how much, and how long it keeps you satisfied between meals. Together you can make the determination of whether or not you need a fill. Your input will help him determine how much you need if you do get one.

Maybe go for a Protein Shake or full liquids for 24 hours then see how it goes. Surgeon assistant suggested this when I had bronchitis I couldn't eat much of anything I was so congested not even shredded turkey deli meat! So I did Soup and shakes for a day.

Much better today....taking it easy and not eating any solids today....had mashed sweet potato and soup....