Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can Not Getting Enough Protein In Diet, Lead To No Weight Loss??

Hello,

I am two weeks post op...

I am struggling to get the recommended Protein into my daily diet...the shakes are hard to get down for me

So can not getting enough protein effect the weight loss rate?

I am also doing about 500-700 calories a day...

I have not been filled yet

Thanks

I am in the exact same position and not sure what to do.

It may not delay the weight loss but it can be a huge reason for Hair loss. The shakes are not my favorite I drink body fortress chocolate 52g of Protein in 2 scoops so I pretty much get what I need daily for Breakfast then all the rest throughout the day is bonus lol. It is very important to get the protein in. I have to block my nose take a sip of shake then a sip of Water but I force it down =)

This is a powder and you place in Water???

I have been hearing about Protein shots.....might look into that

Thanks

I already drank Protein Shakes before my surgery so it's not bad for me. But since I have to drink so many more since the surgery I'm finding that the pre-mixed shakes are so much creamier and better. Almost like a treat. I have been using the Cookies and cream monster milk

I don't know if it's not enough Protein, but maybe not enough calories? 500 per day is awfully low. Do you eat solid Proteins? Other than supplements, I don't know what to suggest...

According to my surgeon's office, not having enough Protein will slow weight loss, just the same as not consuming enough calories every day.

If you do not like the Protein shakes you are using, try another flavor or another brand. Be certain to read the label, and make sure that the shake has 100% whey Protein, and enough grams of protein for you to reach your daily protein goals. This goal varies from person to person, so be sure what your recommendation is. I was recommended to purchase my Protein Powder from GNC; I use their "Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60", and only use 1.5 scoops of Protein Powder per shake to give me 30 g of protein in every shake. My favorite flavors are chocolate and Cookies & cream.

I think just about everyone, including myself had difficulties with consuming all of the liquids recommended every day for the first weeks. It helped for me to structure my time, and to know how many bottles of Water I needed to have by certain times in the day and between my shakes.

just my 2 cents..but you're only 2 weeks out so your journey is really about healing and not weight loss. so i wouldnt be too concerned that your lack of weight loss is because of the Protein.< /p>

I emailed the nutritionist and she said that right now, the not getting to a certain level of Protein is not a big deal, as it will be moving forward...she said OK to the Protein shots..

I am not waiting solids...I am full liquids...I try....but just getting maybe 500-700 calories...

I dieted once before and lost130 pounds and I know that doing 800 calories a day made me feel awful at times. So how am I to be able to excerise and be active on 700 calories a day?

Just having a "duh" moment....

I think I will email her back and ask about calorie count I should be trying to get in

Thanks

Ready to drink shakes tend to taste better. Just read the label so you are not getting to many cals. Premier and Muscle Milk light are pretty good. NOT regular Muscle Milk it has tooo many cals.

I have Premier Shakes....110 calories and 23 grams of Protein.< /p>

I agree with Jennifer1

don't worry about weight loss yet, you need to heal! try to sip as much Water as possible. the calorie intake will increase as healing happens.

when you start eating again, try greek yogurt( not the fruit in it), cottage cheese, try another whey Protein shake( there are so many good ones at the Vitamin Shoppe).

You will also start exercising more with time and that will help weight loss too.

I would try to get as much Protein as possible in the post op stage to promote healing. My nutritionist told me to drink 4 Protein Shakes a day for the first two weeks to make sure I got enough protein.

When you are healed and able to eat solids, you're definitely going to need to up your calorie count. 500-700 calories is nowhere near enough and your body will hold on to every single calorie, slowing down your weight loss.

I finally got some carnation instant breakfast. That with skim milk tastes decent. I also blended Greek yogurt and Protein powder in with sugarfree pudding mix and thinned it down. Once you get to mushies Greek yogurt and cottage cheese help get protein up higher.

I am six weeks out and had my first fill today. So I am back to liquids for a few days! I feel your pain!

I'm getting the Protein in 11 days out but they told me just 10-15g per meal. I'm worried as goes up as they said add the protein powder but not really sure how to add that doesn't taste bad. I got beneprotein and the packets for just 6g are big. I put a little in applesauce and was lumpy not great. Put some in potatoe and was on. Not really sure what I'm going to be able to throw it in.