Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 4/16 And Gained A Few Back

So I was banded 4/16 and felt great with my progress until lately. I was down 14lbs going into surgery, and then lost another 12 since. In the last few days I have gained back 3lbs. Is this common? I won't see my Dr. until June 7th. I was doing well eating between 700-800 calories, but now that I have gone back to work I don't feel that full feeling anymore. I work 3 days a week doing a fairly physical job driving around and merchandising. Maybe I just need to pre-plan my meals better (since I am on mushies now too)? I am just stressing that I will turn back to food to cope. I am re-joining a therapy group based around mindful eating and thankfully start again tomorrow night.

Try upping the calories a bit! I lost 14lbs 3 days before surgery, then 7lbs the next week, then only 3lbs the next week and was frustrated. Sometimes our bodies can go into "starvation/shock" mode and hold on to everything thinking it is never getting more calories again or for a while. I talked to my nutritionist and she said to try upping my calories a bit to 1000-1400 a day and it has worked wonders! I have been dropping more weight since... Also, it is super normal to feel hungrier now that the post surgery feeling is going away. I am personally struggling with that now because I was supposed to have my first fill last week but due to a incision infection it has been put off until this thursday. Stay strong lady! Also, try to only weight yourself on one day a week, in the morning, naked. I used to get on the scale every other day and I made myself crazy! Our weight fluctuates daily depending on if we have gone to the bathroom or drank alot of Water or where we are in our cycles etc... If you stick to one day a week you won't stress out as much! Good luck and keep up the good work... be strong lady!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. I was so upset yesterday when I weighed myself....gain 2 pounds over night on 800 cal? I was devastated. I will try and up my intake a little but finding it hard still to eat more than a few spoons. Everything else is going well, walking 45 min a day now everything is healing great. I will not weight myself but once a week so I dont get so upset. The things that went through my mind. Thanks again for saying something.

It is very common to gain a few lbs back after surgery, as u are healing and following your dietry guidelines. Most of you recent banders will have little or no restriction at the moment or be feeling very satisfied with small meals, this is also common. Just try to keep within the guidelines u were given and eventually things will start to move again. The band is not a rapid weight loss solution and sometimes can take 3 or 4 fills till the band really kicks in and starts making a big difference .. just be patient and keep exercising :)

I was banded 4/2 and haven't lost much since. Just up and down with the same few lbs since the surgery. It is very frustrating but I feel hardly any restriction yet. Can't wait for my first fill.

Everything I've read indicates this is fairly normal. Silly of me to expect my fat to not but stubborn. :) I'll win, no worries. Just going to take some time.

Thanks everyone! Glad to know I am not the only one. I am going to try and just weigh once a week so the scale doesn't drive me so crazy. I know I am still recovering...just want to make sure I have some good results before seeing my Dr. I was disappointed that I wasn't seeing her until 7 weeks after, but now I am glad. :) I decided to start working out on my elliptical while my son naps. Going to make myself a chart today to keep track of my workouts and weight loss to keep me motivated to make the right choices.