Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Certain Bmi To Have Tt?

Question:

Do you have to be below a specific BMI or lose a specific amount of weight before being approved by surgeon and insurance for a panni or TT?

I have only lost 30lbs, but definitely want to start the process of seeing the doctor to get this extra skin removed. I am a 35BMI now, started out at a 39. My extra skin is mainly from having very large children, biggest one was 11lbs. I believe my muscles may be separated also, I'm sure they'll check.

I just want to know if it will be a waste of time now and to wait until I hit a normal BMI.

Of course, I know the more weight I lose between now and then, the better the outcome. I guess the surgeon will probably tell me how much more weight I need to lose before I'm eligible to have the surgery??

Were any of you told to lose more weight before plastic surgery?

Thanks,

A

seems like everyone waits 'til they get close to goal.

I had a 11 puond child as well! I wasnt even pre-diabetic but they tested me 3 times during pregnancy b/c he was so large. I also had a 9.5 lb daughter! SO I so understand what you are saying. I think that area is a surgery must once I get close to goal wieght.

It could be that the skin could be 10 or so lbs of what you want to lose :)

That's what I figured, Close to normal BMI range. Fingers crossed that I'll be there soon enough!

Funny Kbliss78! My experience was exactly the same!! I had to take that horrid 3 hr glucose test twice and the 1 hr once.. all came back negative.. He weighed 10lbs 12oz. With my third child I actually did have diabetes and he only weighed 7lbs 13oz! crazy.

I had a panni after losing only 80 pounds, only about 1/3 of the way to my goal. But I am probably the exception. I started out at 433 pounds with a very pronounced pannus. As I lost weight my pannus only got worse, hanging lower, rashes impossible to manage. It made exercising quite difficult. My insurance coved the panni. It made it much easier to exercise, dramatically improved my appearance and eliminated the rash problem. But I knew all along that I would still need major cosmetic surgery as I get close to goal weight. Now I'm about 40 pounds from my revised-revised goal, and I am planning for a lower body lift with Lipo. That will be out of pocket.

I would say wait until you are at or nearly at your goal weight unless your pannus is causing you health problems or interfering with exercise.