Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Miserable Failure - The Band Is A Placebo

I am not one to post to forums. I am a lurker and I admit it.

Having said that, I have finally brought myself to share my experiences so that, perhaps, someone out there will come forward and commiserate.

I had my surgery in 2007. I was 280 lbs. at that time and chose the surgery because I had already tried every fad diet imaginable and, like many of you, was tired of beating myself up over a very low self image.

I chose Dr. Alan Geiss at the Syosset Medical center.

He put the smallest possible band in my stomache and never even discussed that aspect of my surgery with me.

After 2 years I was down to 180 lbs. and my life had changed completely. By 2009 I was in great shape and the band was doing its part to keep my bad habits at bay, while I did the rest of the work with excersize and reasonable choices.

Then came 2010.

I started noticing that I was able to eat more of the wrong foods and got worried so I went for a fill...and then another...and then another. I found that each time I got a fill it would help and work for 3-4 weeks but after that I could start eating more once again. I started gaining weight at a rapid pace and then, in 2011, I was informed that my small band was already at maximum capacity and that no more could be done for me. I was checked with a colonoscopy and barium swallum/x-ray and it was determined that the band was securely in place.

I met with Dr. Geiss and told him how disappointed I was. I was now back to 230 lbs. and was trending back upwards at a rapid pace. I could eat nearly the same volume and types of food that I consumed before ever having surgery. He said that "Lap Banding is not a solution for everyone and that I should go see a psychiatrist to get my head in the right place".

Really? Would any of you agree? If it were only a mental impediment and a good "talk" was the proper solution - would any of us have a band in our body right now? Hands up?

I told the doctor that I thought this was bad advice and that I chose the lap band to work for me as a tool. A daily physical reminder to make better choices and an deterrent to volume eating. I can now eat a full cheeseburger and fries without stopping once for breath. Should I be able to do that?

The next week I received a letter from him that he was dropping me as a patient because he was no longer taking my type of medical insurance.

Very convenient.

I decided to give it one more shot. Surely it was just this particular doctor that was in the way of me getting back on the right track. I had all my files transferred to a local doctor at Mather Hospital named Dr. Arif Ahmad. This well known surgeon met with me just a few weeks ago and I left his office having had one of the worst experiences of my entire life.

He met with me for 10 minutes. Asked me questions about what I am able to swallow. I told him exactly what I told all of you. He said that the band is not always an answer and that it only worked in about 10% of the cases on a long term basis. He said that sleeving or bypass were better alternatives but he would not consider these options on someone who was already banded by another surgeon. I told him that my surgeon dropped me and he said "well I can refer you to another doctor but I don't want you since your insurance has too high a deductible limit". Now, I have no idea what that means, mind you. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO and I think it is pretty good. He explained very clearly that he did not want me as a patient because he could not make any money on me. He said this right in front of the nurse practitioner in the office and I saw her look away and roll her eyes in disgust at his comment.

I walked out of the office, now at 265 lbs, and decided that my life was pretty worthless.

This is only one man's story but I find it particularly odd that there are so few "long term" success stories posted anywhere. This lap band was the biggest decision I ever made and the failure of it, combined with the overt greed by the doctors in my life, have led me to a bitter and cynical place. Perhaps I am better off. I no longer believe that there are easy solutions to anything. Life is hard and full of Herculean challenges. The only way to take them on is straight through them...never around them. I hope that someone out there is reading this and can learn from my mistake. Otherwise I will have wasted more than just the last 5 years in this fruitless endeavor.

-Russ

I have heard of someone before who it stopped working for and then fill after fill did not help. It turned out the tubing had a hole and all of hte Fluid was leaking out each time. Did your Dr ever pull all Fluid out and then add more in at your fills?

Either way, I am sorry it stopped working for you. I am sorry you feel worthless. You are so much more than what you weigh on the scale. I wish the best in your journey.

if there is not a leak, some advise to pull all Fluid out, let it rest for a month or two, and then start the fill process again. This should give you that gradual restriction you found in the beginning. Don't give up- you obviously know how to use your band. As for the size, I think the 4cc was what was available at the time of your banding.

There's a failed Lap-band page on Facebook that is very active.. Maybe someone there has a suggestion on what you can do or who you can see? Sorry

I'm glad this is was all a placebo....all this restriction, reaching my goal, reversing all those medical conditions, getting stuck, sliming, regurgitation........was all in my head.

I need to see a Physc Dr also......I must be hallucinating!

My heart breaks for anyone who is unsuccessful with any weight loss surgery. Some of the suggestions given to you seem pretty good. Good luck to you.

Hey B-52, Why don't you actually read what I wrote instead of just adding worthless sarcasm to a constructive discussion. You were banded 15 months ago. The post was about "long term failure". I pray that you don't suffer the same problems I have but I also pray that if you do there won't be someone like yourself to add poison to your already-bitter situation.

To everyone else, especially Stephy for the constructive suggestion, I thank you for the optimism.

Evy, did you have your band removed for the same reasons as I am now experiencing?

Hey B-52, Why don't you actually read what I wrote instead of just adding worthless sarcasm to a constructive discussion. You were banded 15 months ago. The post was about "long term failure". I pray that you don't suffer the same problems I have but I also pray that if you do there won't be someone like yourself to add poison to your already-bitter situation.

To everyone else, especially Stephy for the constructive suggestion, I thank you for the optimism.

Evy, did you have your band removed for the same reasons as I am now experiencing?

Thanks! I appreciate your prayers. I love my band! It is real for me!

If it's a placebo, I still love it!

It has changed my life......and I hope everyone here who has had the surgery is also successful.

I am not one to post to forums. I am a lurker and I admit it.

Having said that' date=' I have finally brought myself to share my experiences so that, perhaps, someone out there will come forward and commiserate.

I had my surgery in 2007. I was 280 lbs. at that time and chose the surgery because I had already tried every fad diet imaginable and, like many of you, was tired of beating myself up over a very low self image.

I chose Dr. Alan Geiss at the Syosset Medical center.

He put the smallest possible band in my stomache and never even discussed that aspect of my surgery with me.

After 2 years I was down to 180 lbs. and my life had changed completely. By 2009 I was in great shape and the band was doing its part to keep my bad habits at bay, while I did the rest of the work with excersize and reasonable choices.

Then came 2010.

I started noticing that I was able to eat more of the wrong foods and got worried so I went for a fill...and then another...and then another. I found that each time I got a fill it would help and work for 3-4 weeks but after that I could start eating more once again. I started gaining weight at a rapid pace and then, in 2011, I was informed that my small band was already at maximum capacity and that no more could be done for me. I was checked with a colonoscopy and barium swallum/x-ray and it was determined that the band was securely in place.

I met with Dr. Geiss and told him how disappointed I was. I was now back to 230 lbs. and was trending back upwards at a rapid pace. I could eat nearly the same volume and types of food that I consumed before ever having surgery. He said that "Lap Banding is not a solution for everyone and that I should go see a psychiatrist to get my head in the right place".

Really? Would any of you agree? If it were only a mental impediment and a good "talk" was the proper solution - would any of us have a band in our body right now? Hands up?

I told the doctor that I thought this was bad advice and that I chose the lap band to work for me as a tool. A daily physical reminder to make better choices and an deterrent to volume eating. I can now eat a full cheeseburger and fries without stopping once for breath. Should I be able to do that?

The next week I received a letter from him that he was dropping me as a patient because he was no longer taking my type of medical insurance.

Very convenient.

I decided to give it one more shot. Surely it was just this particular doctor that was in the way of me getting back on the right track. I had all my files transferred to a local doctor at Mather Hospital named Dr. Arif Ahmad. This well known surgeon met with me just a few weeks ago and I left his office having had one of the worst experiences of my entire life.

He met with me for 10 minutes. Asked me questions about what I am able to swallow. I told him exactly what I told all of you. He said that the band is not always an answer and that it only worked in about 10% of the cases on a long term basis. He said that sleeving or bypass were better alternatives but he would not consider these options on someone who was already banded by another surgeon. I told him that my surgeon dropped me and he said "well I can refer you to another doctor but I don't want you since your insurance has too high a deductible limit". Now, I have no idea what that means, mind you. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO and I think it is pretty good. He explained very clearly that he did not want me as a patient because he could not make any money on me. He said this right in front of the nurse practitioner in the office and I saw her look away and roll her eyes in disgust at his comment.

I walked out of the office, now at 265 lbs, and decided that my life was pretty worthless.

This is only one man's story but I find it particularly odd that there are so few "long term" success stories posted anywhere. This lap band was the biggest decision I ever made and the failure of it, combined with the overt greed by the doctors in my life, have led me to a bitter and cynical place. Perhaps I am better off. I no longer believe that there are easy solutions to anything. Life is hard and full of Herculean challenges. The only way to take them on is straight through them...never around them. I hope that someone out there is reading this and can learn from my mistake. Otherwise I will have wasted more than just the last 5 years in this fruitless endeavor.

-Russ[/quote']

Wow Russ I am so sorry you've experienced all that negativity. There's nothing either one of us can do about physicians who behave poorly but there is something U can do & that something is NEVER give up or relinquish your right to treatment. You just have to keep looking for another surgeon & u'll find it. Have faith during this amazing journey & remember YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!

Sounds like a terrible experience and I totally understand your frustration and anger at the 5 years lost. As suggested, could you go back to the beginning? I'm sorry the doctors have been such asses too.....Can you find a fill centre or someone to just do fills for you? Even if you have to pay per fill, at least you will get seen then (isn't money and insurance grand!). Please don't give up.

I have made yet another appointment with yet another doctor for June.

One more try.

If he is either unable or unwilling to offer any sage advice then I will instruct him to remove the fill. I will follow Stephy's advice above...give it a month and then try to fill it again and see if a "reset" helps any.

The whole 5 year journey has been a far more expensive emotional investment than the dividend it payed.

Ross- I also have been a long time lurker on this site, and a gastric bypass site. I was seriously considering one or the other, and went to a seminar in my area to get information and meet with a doctor. However, because I have 2 small children, I decided to try one last time losing weight through a supervised program with a doctor before surgery (and yes, this doctor did give me a prescription appetite suppressant, called Phendimetrazine that worked for a good 6 months; I also was on phentermine for 4 wks). I have lost 85 pounds since last June. I tell you this, because there are alternatives to the band. I also would share, that in my research, I came across a fair amount of data in the medical literature about long term negative effects of gastric banding, that made me pause. I'm not sure your goal should be to be on a band long term. although we're all looking for something to keep us on the straight and narrow, at the end of the day- it's like we've always heard- it's up to you to make good food choices. And, as a long term dieter and someone who has struggled with weight my whole life, I believe there is definitely a genetic component that predisposes one to overeat (be it lack of satiety gene or something else), but also a mental component. Because, we know, as we're eating a cheeseburger and french fries how bad it is for our bodies, and yet we chose to do it anyway (I call those my, "I'm pretending I don't have a weight problem days"). Best of luck in your journey.

Ann Surg. 2001 Jun;233(6):809-18.

"High failure rate after laparoscopic adjustable silicone gastric banding for treatment of morbid obesity."

DeMaria EJ, Sugerman HJ, Meador JG, Doty JM, Kellum JM, Wolfe L, Szucs RA, Turner MA.

Source

Department of Surgery, Medical College of Virginia of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA. edemaria@hsc.vcu.edu

I am so sorry you are so frustrated an pretty much back to where you started. However yoy say you CAN eat a whole xheeseburger an fries without taking a single breath WHY WOULD YOU? You were so successful at one time yes so get back there the band is only a tool it cant make the right food choices for us an it certainly doesnt measure it out for us. Does it have a way to remind us if we have over done it? Sure.

But in the end its up to s to make good healthy food choices. And to portion out what we NEED to eat.

I hope you find something to work for you again because i bet you were pretty proud of yourself when you lost that 100 pounds. I know i would be

Take care Russ

Why would I Brandi?

That's a question I asked myself before the band. I didn't have the answer then and I don't now.

Will power? Anxiety issues? Justification for a lack of self control? All are probably valid and part of the answer.

The bottom line is that when the band worked I was less hungry and the urge to solve every ounce of tension and anxiety with high calorie comfort food was somehow abated.

I learned to eat about 1/3 to 1/2 of everything that was on my plate and then walk away.

I learned that fatty and starchy foods had acceptable substitutes or could be shelved entirely for long periods.

I learned that not every urge was best satisfied with food.< /p>

Since the band has stopped restricting me I have un-learned these things somehow. I know they work...I just can't seem to implement them. My will power seems to have a maximum three week shelf life :-(

I can understand this actually. This is one reason i love my band but i am still new to his whole lapband thing. I too think having all the Fluid out an starting again might be a renewed start for you. I hope :)