Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG! What was that?

I have a 10cc Vanguard with 2cc in first fill and just had my second fill on Monday. Not sure how much he put in, but assumed it was another 2 cc. Anyway, I had no problem eating lunch afterward (although I did eat a small soy Breakfast patty--chewed thoroughly). No immediate golf-ball-in-chest feeling like I sometimes get when eating solid things too fast; however, a few minutes after finishing the entire meal, I experienced some mild heartburn-type thing, then the saliva in my mouth started to increase, then sort of hiccups. But it wasn’t too bad, and it showed me that I need to slow down even more. Since then I’ve tried to stick to liquids and mushies and have experienced restriction here and there when attempting to eat solid foods, but last night I was able to eat solids with no problems.

Well, this morning I had a smaller than usual breakfast made up of solids and had no problem. Had 1 string cheese and 1/3 cup whole wheat crackers at mid-morning - again no problem. Drank about 8-12 ounces of coffee and sipped Water during the rest of the morning. Went to Curves at 1:00, came back to work and ate only about 2-3 spoonfuls of Lentil Soup and.....OMG!!! Immediately had BPs and they just kept getting worse and worse (walking around till it passed was not working like it always has before). It got to the point where I thought I was going to have to bring it back up (which is a HUGE LAST resort for me!), when the top of my head started throbbing so badly I could bearly stand it. The restriction passed at that point, but the headache pain was worse than any Migraine I’ve ever had. The intense pain lasted for probably 5 - 10 minutes then slowly abated, but I still have a dull headache an hour later and was luckily able to get down an Advil and water. Well, that put the fear in me anyway. I will certainly be more careful about what I eat now! If it happens again, God forbid, I’ll be running for an unfill!

Hey Robin.. so sorry to hear about your bad experience. I was wondering.. did your doctor tell you to drink liquids for a while after your fill? I've heard, and my doctor instructed me likewise, that we should only drink liquids or very soft foods for the first 48 hours after a fill. I would recommend that you do this now for a few days to allow you esophogus (I still dont know how to spell that word heh) to relax and heal from the trauma of the PB. Then slowly begin to eat more solid foods. If you ease back into this you might not need an unfil.

It's also possible that you ate too soon after working out. I don't know the scientific reasoning behind that, but it kind of makes sense to me that it could have been part of the cause.

Anyway, I hope youre doing better today. If not, call your doc soon and let him know what's going on.

My doc told me the same thing. I am newly banded and no fills yet, but My doc said that when i do get a fill to do solid lquids for 2 days. And it said that if you PB to go on liquids for 2 days. Just some info I thought I would pass on.

Robin, be especially careful with pills right now. My worst and most painfully horrifying PB was on a gel capsule cold pill. Also, ask your doctor if Advil is okay, since most surgeons recommend avoiding NSAIDs and sticking to Tylenol.

Even the smallest squishy lentil can get stuck. Make sure you can smoosh stuff through your teeth before swallowing, and swallow tiny bites at a time. I don't have a band any more, but once you have a PB it's not something you'll ever forget, that's for sure. I hope you feel better soon.