Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op Diet

mdfinch
Sign in to follow this  

What is your pre op diet? Share what your doctor is having you do before surgery.

My doctor put me on a two week liquid diet, which consist of:

Breakfast : 1 ensure with high Protein

Lunch: 1 ensure with high protein

Supper: 1 ensure with high protein

I also can have sugar free popiscles, sugar free Jello, crystal light, and beverage that is sugar free and has no fizz to it.

I am on a 10 day pre op diet

Breakfast

1 coffee 1% milk and equal

1 muscle milk Protein Drink

lunch

Yogurt

dinner

1 Muscle Milk Protein Drink

all I want of Soup broth, crystal light, Water, sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello

I am on day 3 and feeling not to bad the cravings were tough day 2

I am on a 10 day liquid diet.< /p>

Day 1-9 : 5-6 8oz. Protein Drinks a day. In addition to that I can have sugar free Jello, sugar free Popsicles, broths, Powerade zero, and Water.

Day 10 : Clear Liquids only.

Something I am learning is that sometimes one bottle of a Protein drink is counts as 2 "meals" since it is 20oz!

I have a 2 week pre-op diet as follows:

• Take 2 scoops of the True Results Protein supplement 2-3 times each day mixed with 8 to 10oz. of skim milk, Water, fruit juice, or fat free yogurt. You may add fresh or frozen fruit (stay away from bananas, they are too high in sugar), fat free/sugar free Jell-O or pudding to vary the flavor. Try extracts and spices too.
  • EAS Advantage, Atkins shakes, and Carb Optima Slim Fast are also acceptable protein drinks.< /strong>

• You may also have 1- 2 healthy meals each day. Stick with lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish & lean beefs the size of the palm of your hand – 4 to 6oz.) green vegetables, (all you want, avoid potatoes & carrots), and fruit (1 cup, remember – no bananas).
  • You may drink tea, coffee, Crystal Lite, etc. Anything that is not sweetened with sugar, use an artificial sweetener if needed.

ELIMINATE FROM YOUR DIET

• All fats – butter, fatty meats, fried foods, whole milk products.
  • High sugar foods.
  • High carbohydrate foods – breads, pastas & other starchy foods.
  • Carbonated drinks – eliminate completely after surgery
  • Take 2 scoops of the True Results Protein supplement 2-3 times each day mixed with 8 to 10oz. of skim milk, water, fruit juice, or fat free yogurt. You may add fresh or frozen fruit (stay away from bananas, they are too high in sugar), fat free/sugar free Jell-O or pudding to vary the flavor. Try extracts and spices too.
  • EAS Advantage, Atkins Shakes, and Carb Optima Slim Fast are also acceptable protein drinks.
  • You may also have 1- 2 healthy meals each day. Stick with lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish & lean beefs the size of the palm of your hand – 4 to 6oz.) green vegetables, (all you want, avoid potatoes & carrots), and fruit (1 cup, remember – no bananas).
  • You may drink tea, coffee, Crystal Lite, etc. Anything that is not sweetened with sugar, use an artificial sweetener if needed.

ELIMINATE FROM YOUR DIET

• All fats – butter, fatty meats, fried foods, whole milk products.
  • High sugar foods.
  • High carbohydrate foods – breads, pastas & other starchy foods.
  • Carbonated drinks – eliminate completely after surgery

Now my boyfriend who is also having surgery on the same day as me only has to do the diet for 3 days before the surgery.

I was told the variances in pre-op diets and times is due to the size of your liver. The diet isnt mainly about losing weight (for some it is) but that it's to reduce the size of your liver and since I have a fatty liver then my diet is longer than his for this fact and that he doesnt have near as much to lose as I do.

Days 1-7 of the pre-op diet:

-2 Protein Shakes (each must have over 15gm of Protein and under 200 calories)

-1 meal that is under 300 cal, 15 carbs and over 15 gm of protein. They gave me a very short list of Lean Cuisines and Smart Ones meals that meet this profile.

-At least 64 oz of Water per day.

-All of the sugar free Jello, popsicles and broth that I want and Powerade Zero.

Days 8-13 pre-op:

-4 protein shakes (each must have over 15gm of protein and under 200 calories)

-At least 64 oz of water per day.

-All of the sugar free jello, popsicles and broth that I want and Powerade Zero.

Day 14 (day before surgery)

Clear liquids only, nothing after midnight.