Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Driving After Surgery

I am getting banded in less than 2 weeks and I was thinking of taking a road trip a week after. I have to drive 8 hours - does anyone think this is a bad idea or should I be ok?

I would vote no. To much to soon on your stomach. Also if complications should arise, you should be close to your surgeon. Plus the lap band hell will be in full swing, not fun for a trip.

Everyone is different. I went back to work 9 days after my surgery. Even though my work is not strenuous I do move a lot at work. I think sitting in one position for an extended period of time would have been uncomfortable for me at that point. You didn't mention if you would be driving, a passenger or a combination. I think if you a driving alone it's not a good idea. If someone is going with you and you can share the driving as well as stop often just to move it may be okay. I take approx 8 hour road trips a couple of times a year to visit family and as good as I was feeling I don't think I would have wanted to 1 week out. I am two weeks out now and think I would be up to it - but not by myself.

I am getting banded in less than 2 weeks and I was thinking of taking a road trip a week after. I have to drive 8 hours - does anyone think this is a bad idea or should I be ok?

i wouldnt be doing it. But, you could be entirely different to me. i only know that travel in a car was really uncomfortable for me... very much so and it was with me until a month post op.

I would be the one driving with my two kids. My husband is working & is unable to join us. I was going to go visit my parents for the long weekend, but I haven't told them about my decision to get the lap band because I know they wouldn't agree with me doing it. I'm not sure if I will ever tell them actually. It's funny because my mom needs it more than i do, and my sister needs it even more. Oh well! I guess I'm going to have to get the "flu" a few days before so I have a good excuse not to go! ;)

Btw thanks for the advice! :)

I would be the one driving with my two kids. My husband is working & is unable to join us. I was going to go visit my parents for the long weekend, but I haven't told them about my decision to get the lap band because I know they wouldn't agree with me doing it. I'm not sure if I will ever tell them actually. It's funny because my mom needs it more than i do, and my sister needs it even more. Oh well! I guess I'm going to have to get the "flu" a few days before so I have a good excuse not to go! ;)

oh, please dont let me put you off going.. if you are the sort of person who recovers quickly from surgeries and things like that you could be just great. i know of others who have managed way more than i would have been able to. So your parents dont know either? or your sister?? im the same. the only person in my family who knows is my hubbie, and i did tell our youngest daughter as well. How sad that you cant share with your mum and sister when you know how much the surgery would help them. Perhaps later on when you have lost the weight and you are a walking testimony to it all??

Again.. more thoughts from me.... how long after surgery would you want to travel to your parents place??you did say.

have you thought about how you are going to explain not being able to eat properly while there?? it just occured to me.

I hope it all works out well for you. Let me know what you do decide to do in the end.

I have not been banded myself yet so I can't speak from personal experience, but I wouldn't recommend that. You will still be on liquids or puréed foods at that point and it would be more difficult if you are staying out of town with family who doesn't know you were banded. I am going on vacation a month after my surgery and my surgeon said it is wise to wait at least 2-3 weeks after banding to travel.

I don't know your exact situation though. It wouldn't hurt to talk to your surgeon and see what he advises. If you do go, have a great time :)

I would not go. I had to travel out of town to my dr office a couple of times when I was 9-12 days out. I felt fine driving but afterwards I felt horrid! My port hurt my back hurt. It was no fun at all!

Check with your dr but personally I wouldn't recommend it, especially with kids and with not being able to get the support you need at the other end.

I vote "no", too! I think that it would be too strenous on you. You will still be in recovery mode. A lot of people fly from Mexico to their homes a few days after surgery. But, you will be driving, alone, with kids. Hmmmm! Think about it! Karen

You will also be at risk of blood clots for sitting such a long period of time. If you do go at least stop every couple of hours and get out and walk around.

Yeah, I'm thinking every aspect of going isn't looking too good! I think I'll definitely be staying home! :)

Well it looks like my parents are going to come up here now that weekend! Looks like I'll still be having the "flu" and not eating anything but liquids! ;)

Well it looks like my parents are going to come up here now that weekend! Looks like I'll still be having the "flu" and not eating anything but liquids! ;)

iim sure you will do fine. you will be much more in control in your own home than being away, thats for sure. as you say, you can plead not feeling well.