Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband In 2005 - Gaining Weight

Hello all. have not been on this site in years. Got a new job, moved, life got just so so busy. I recieved my lapband in 2005. Lost 120 lbs in the first year. Was able to keep the weight off until about two years ago. I slowly started gaining weight. Effective last week I am up about 20 lbs. I went to get a fill last week (have not had one in years). I am having difficulty. Lots of acid relux and horrible coughing fits at night.

I guess I need to learn how to eat again being very restricted. I am doing research and hope to get the right combination of food and hydration that the reflux and the coughing and throughing up go away,

Just wanted to say hello again...and if you have any advice for me please pass it along.

Thank you all!!

Maggie

You might give your surgeon a call about the night cough. That can be a sign of a too tight band. A very slight unfill can do wonders.

Are you vomiting at night? In your sleep? If so, please call your doctor.

Did you get majorly stuck on anything after the fill? As in could you have some swelling going on? I know for me, after a fill I have a huge learning curve. I am more likely to get stuck, and when I do I have significant swelling. I'll do liquids for a day or two to let that go down then slowly introduce solids again.

Yes I think you need to go back to see your Dr.

I haven't had fill in 3 years, does the insurance still pay, have moved from my surgeon to Florida, Help in Florida

I would give my dr a call. I had my surgery 41/2 years ago and just started with acid and nite cough went back to the dr . He gave me a couple options one was take some out ( fill). Be very careful take acid meds and no eating or drinking after a certain time at night , that I had to play with for awhile. But I am happy to say I didn't get the un fill and I haven't had a problem in over a week now. I went back on liquid for a few days then mushies and now eating normal again. Minus eating after 6 and drinking after 7. Good luck I hope this helps.

I haven't had fill in 3 years, does the insurance still pay, have moved from my surgeon to Florida, Help in Florida

If your current insurance covers lap band, then they should cover fills. When I request a fill, I have to have prior approval to see my surgeon.

First...check your insurance coverage

Second...either ask your primary care doctor for a referral or call a surgeon directly

I have had my band going on three years now. I haven't had an adjustment in over a year, and this started with me about six months ago. Coughing all night, maybe about two or the times per month. Got so bad finally that I wound up in the hospital last week with pneumonia. I came up with a theory. I'm no doctor but I'm still testing it. Everyone that is having this happen, do you sleep on your stomach? I did constantly and I think the pressure on the band pushes food/liquid back up while you sleep. Been trying to sleep on my side and back the last few nights. So far so good.

I had the same thing happen. It culminated in me having to have Fluid taken out as I got stuck quite badly. I do not believe that I was too tight. Since being unfilled I have only had 1 episode of bad nightime choking/reflux. I sleep mainly on my side, sometimes on my back. I have not noticed a difference with sleeping position. If you do suffer with heartburn/reflux the best position to sleep in is supposedly on your left hand side. That is also the best side to put an unconcious person into the recovery position - it is all to do with the positioning of the organs.

I do not understand why the reflux starts out of nowhere after a couple of years with no problems. I hope someone comes up with a definitive answer soon.

Thank you all for your responses!! I was not sure if I was too tight or eating too much!! I have cut down my portion sizes and stopped eating after 5pm and the night coughs have all but stopped. I do get acid reflux during the day sometimes but it is tolerable. I am going to give this fill a few more weeks as sometimes it takes a while for my fills to sink in. If I am still having problems I will go back to the doc.

Although my inusurnace paid for the band I have to pay for fills (200.00). My insurance company has changed what they will and won't pay for. It is a bummer that is a lot of money for a fill!!

Have lost 4 lbs so I am hoping that this fill will get me back on track. Thanks for your advice and support!!