Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared Of The Long Term

I am new to this and have been researching Lapband for a time now and I am scheduled for my first Dr.'s appt 5/23. One thing I cant stopping thinking about is the long term effect. I have seen some you tube videos and have come across alot of bandsters that once they reach their 5 yr mark complications occur like slippage which can cause death . I really am concerned about the long term effect that the band may have. I would really like to get some feedback from anyone who is past the 5 yr mark or anyone in general about my concerns, although I will voice them at my initial appt . Thanks in advance :D

Where did u get the information that people die from a slipped band ? You Tube really isnt a great place to look for medical accurate information. I understand your concerns but the risks of death from the actual lapband itself from what i have read is less than 1% Any surgery carries risks so the lapband being the fastest and least intrusive of any weight loss surgery is by far the safest option. What i would do is compare what being overwieght in the long term does to your health and the risks one takes remaining obese, my understanding from recent research is that obesity is overtaking cancer as the biggest killer in the western world, to be honest that would be my biggest concern not a small band of plastic that may or may not cause some problems ..

If you maintain a good relationship with your surgeon, look after the band in the way that you should and seek medical advice when something isnt right then there is no reason the band wont last you. Some people are unlucky and some neglect the band or themselves so yes problems do occurr but u can minimise these :)

So make a list of questions to ask your surgeon and i am sure you will feel more at ease getting the answers from a medical professional and not somewhere like YuTube :)

Thanks for the info

YouTube is about the worst place you can go for medical facts. Here's some actual facts:

Lap-Band slippage occurs in approximately 2% to 18% of bariatric patients

The mortality rate for Lap-Band patients is only .01%. That is LESS than one percent.

Feel free to look up these stats for yourself, but my point is Lap-Band is very safe and people don't die from Lap-Band slips.

I am posting again because of the recent news regarding one of our own dear Shirley and the shock that she has passed away. Yes this news does raise our concerns for the long term and i would advise anyone who is worried to speak to your own band surgeon regarding what happened. I know I will check out with my surgeon the information regarding complications from band slippage. The Uk has been using the lapband a long time so it may well be that we have longer term information here.

My only concern regarding what happened to shirley is that if i needed the band removed then i dont think they should have discharged her home and operated to remove it asap .. maybe the outcome would have been different i dont know .. The bands they use now are different to the ones from over 5 yrs ago and hopefully the design changes will make this more unlikely to happen for new bandsters. I cannot see that if the odds were so bad that the governements of banding countries would allow the proceedure to be continued to be used.

I think given the amount of people who belong to this forum who have been banded and remain alive and well should reassure most of us that this is indeed a rare and tragic occurance.

I am new to this and have been researching Lapband for a time now and I am scheduled for my first Dr.'s appt 5/23. One thing I cant stopping thinking about is the long term effect. I have seen some you tube videos and have come across alot of bandsters that once they reach their 5 yr mark complications occur like slippage which can cause death . I really am concerned about the long term effect that the band may have. I would really like to get some feedback from anyone who is past the 5 yr mark or anyone in general about my concerns' date=' although I will voice them at my initial appt . Thanks in advance :D[/quote']

Well my question would be can you gamble with not dealing with your weight?

And if you have to choose between the band or bypass which it has more complications?

I am posting again because of the recent news regarding one of our own dear Shirley and the shock that she has passed away. Yes this news does raise our concerns for the long term and i would advise anyone who is worried to speak to your own band surgeon regarding what happened. I know I will check out with my surgeon the information regarding complications from band slippage. The Uk has been using the lapband a long time so it may well be that we have longer term information here.

My only concern regarding what happened to shirley is that if i needed the band removed then i dont think they should have discharged her home and operated to remove it asap .. maybe the outcome would have been different i dont know .. The bands they use now are different to the ones from over 5 yrs ago and hopefully the design changes will make this more unlikely to happen for new bandsters. I cannot see that if the odds were so bad that the governements of banding countries would allow the proceedure to be continued to be used.

I think given the amount of people who belong to this forum who have been banded and remain alive and well should reassure most of us that this is indeed a rare and tragic occurance.

I did read a post about Shirley's death, but have no information. Are you able to share how her band contributed to the circumstances of her death?

I am just coming to realize that there are still many medical professionals who are lacking in knowledge of how to treat a patient who has a band.

This information may be vital for us to better understand ways to remain healthy and out of harm's way.

This is the link to shirley sharing what had gone wrong .. personally i dont think she should have been discharged home with such complications

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/145300-its-been-a-while-but-im-back-and-alive/page__fromsearch__1

In August I will be banded SEVEN YEARS. I lost all of my weight and then some. I have not had any problems at all except finding clothes small enough. Size 4-6. Everyone is different. Don't judge yourself against anyone else.

Thanks for the input everyone