Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inpanic Mode, Please Help.

I got my lap-band in 2009 it was filled to 5.6, I had excellent restriction I had it checked via cat scan a month ago and they said it was in place and looked good. I had to go on a liquid diet for a day but the time I ate before that I still had restriction, today I was put under for a colonscopy and upper gi endoscopy after which he tells me he did not see the lap band or any sign of it whatsoever so it mustve slipped.

I think if it slipped it had to of been caused by them doing this stuff today because I had restriction up until now, now absolutely zero restriction I can't even tell I have a lapband at all. I am panicking and not sure where to go from here or what I should ask for to check it. I don't see how it could suddenly just be gone and I am so angry and wish I would have never had the upper gi endoscopy and colonscopy since both those came back fine anyways.

I got my lap-band in 2009 it was filled to 5.6, I had excellent restriction I had it checked via cat scan a month ago and they said it was in place and looked good. I had to go on a liquid diet for a day but the time I ate before that I still had restriction, today I was put under for a colonscopy and upper gi endoscopy after which he tells me he did not see the lap band or any sign of it whatsoever so it mustve slipped.

I think if it slipped it had to of been caused by them doing this stuff today because I had restriction up until now, now absolutely zero restriction I can't even tell I have a lapband at all. I am panicking and not sure where to go from here or what I should ask for to check it. I don't see how it could suddenly just be gone and I am so angry and wish I would have never had the upper gi endoscopy and colonscopy since both those came back fine anyways.

Darlin i would call my Surgeon first thing in the morning. Tell him what happened get in to see him as soon as possiable... He will know the answers.

I would be quite upset too! Was there a reason for the CT, endoscopy and colposcopy?

I second what Deb said!

Definitely call your surgeon in the morning for some answers. If you feel pain overnight, I would call the surgeon's office tonight or go to the er.

Feel better...

Call your doctor. It can't just be "gone", you know that's not possible.

I agree with everyone else call your dr ASAP

I agree, it can't just be gone. If it had slipped, they would still see it! I'd say the interpretation of the results is questionable.

I know how you feel though, I had a perfectly functioning band that has never been the same since I unfilled it for another surgery - my colorectal surgeon insisted I unfill for the bowel resection and my lap band surgeon a year later said, oh no, we don't insist people unfill for surgeries unless they know they have problems with anesthetic because it often causes more problems than it prevents. Grrrrr.

Don't get yourself worked up because if it was slipped they wouldn't have gotten a camera past it. If you youtube a lapband surgery you can see why they may not see it from in the GI tract because it is placed around the tract and attached. My experience is if a doctor doesnt know about a band then do not listen to them. I went to urgent care one day for pain and the doctor freaked out that I still have a port in so long after surgery. She had no idea about lapband and didnt treat my pain thinking it was the port. It was a cyst rupturing on my ovary! Definately call your band doctor tomorrow. The good thing is a small slip with no symptoms can often be fixed with liquids for a few weeks. You may have no restriction if they hydrated you well with IV fluids or gave you anything to slow your GI tract.

All the above advice about calling your band surgeon ASAP is right. No point in second guessing whats wrong get to the man who knows :)

Ya if it wasn't for complete loss of restriction I probably wouldn't have believed them, but food isn't even slowing in the slighest it feels as if I have absolutely nothing and I felt more restriction when I got it even before I ever got my first fill. It's defintely feleing very very different and there is no way I can pay to have it re-done. They didn't want to do another cat scan on me since ive had three in my lifetime and they significantly up the cancer risk I guess. So at this point I have to wait until the Dr that did the upper gi endoscopy and colonscopy is open so I can get copies of the pictures to send to my surgeon.

He said my stomach is normal size and he saw no sign of a lapband or a smaller stomach opening absolutely nothing.

Ya if it wasn't for complete loss of restriction I probably wouldn't have believed them, but food isn't even slowing in the slighest it feels as if I have absolutely nothing and I felt more restriction when I got it even before I ever got my first fill. It's defintely feleing very very different and there is no way I can pay to have it re-done. They didn't want to do another cat scan on me since ive had three in my lifetime and they significantly up the cancer risk I guess. So at this point I have to wait until the Dr that did the upper gi endoscopy and colonscopy is open so I can get copies of the pictures to send to my surgeon.

He said my stomach is normal size and he saw no sign of a lapband or a smaller stomach opening absolutely nothing.

Additional thoughts I have about your situation, and the same applies to all of the bandsters. When I was told by my surgeon that I was severely dehydrated and that the ER was expecting me, I asked him if I could go to a different hospital closer to home. I was told no, because the ER at Celebration Hospital knows how he wants procedures done, they are familiar with the needs of his patients, and they do not create additional issues post op. Mind you, I was only going to the ER to have IV treatment to re hydrate after being ill for several days.

Point being: prior to having any procedure done, whether it be treatment or testing it would be proactive to first ask the surgeon if they have any recommendations for a doctor or hospital that is familiar with band patients. Prevention is so much better than trying to fix problems.

I hope you will feel better fast...please let us know how you are.

Let us know what your surgeon said please.