Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Days Post Op And Miserable!

I had my surgery on Monday (4/23) and came home form the hospital yesterday. I am completely miserable with pain in my stomach, chest, and back. Also, I have been having a lot of nausea especially when I drink. I can hardly get anything down, including Water. When I try anything besides water, I get a sharp pain and nausea. My stomach is constantly gurgling, too. Any suggestions? I am afraid I will get super dehydrated because I can only take about once ounce per hour.

call your dr. they can give you something for the nausea. Water is a must, you do not want to get dehydrated. I felf really lousy after my surgery too but i had no nausea. The pain should only last a couple of days I think day 4 I woke up and felt like a million bucks. Do not be afraid to call your Dr. and ask questions!

Good Luck.

Call your doctor ASAP, dehydration is very serious. I don't know why you were not sent home with a prescription for both pain and nausea.

Maybe this will helpyou feell better.

When i got home from surgery i was only able to drink 1 500ml bottle of Water in a 24 hour period. Had to take very tiny sips. This lasted for almost 3 days until the internal swelling started to go down.

Took chewable gravol for nausea and chewed it up to dust basically a let id disovle on my mouth.

Like others have stated, please call your doctor ASAP. On the day of the surgery, I was able to keep ice chips and small small sips of Water down. I was afraid to drink much water but now I drink a 20 ounce bottle every two hours just to make sure i get in at least 60 ounces before I go home. Water is important oh so important.

You can also try drinking warm/hot tea. I have issues with cold liquids so it may help you get some liquid in. Did you have any liquid placed in the band during surgery?

I ditto the hot liquid sentiment. I lived on hot chicken Soup broth my first two days. The doctor told me that warm liquids make the band stretch a little bit, which eased the pressure... I also think that walking was hugely important and helped all the gurgling and sharp gas feelings... Also try gasex strips!

I ditto the hot liquids also. Walking helps with the pain even if it is just around your house. Also try a heating pad. It doesn't last forever and good luck.

I also had my band placed on 4/23. I think the pain you're feeling is gas. I know you probably don't feel like it but walking into the very best thing for it. I had those pains last night I just walked as much as I could and it really did help relieve them. I agree with everyone else you should call your doctor and get something for nausea!

I too felt like that and the gurgling noises coming from my tummy were sooo loud!! Walking def helped and I sat on the loo and rocked back and fourth it really helped the wind to come out!!! Once that wind starts to come u will feel 100% better!!! I know I did ! It's all that gas they pumped u full off!!! Good luck xx

The liquid or chewable Gravol is a good idea. And you probably don't feel like it, but moving around will really help with the gas pains. Try to relax, just keep drinking. I'm sure you will be okay.

Christine, I had my surgery yesterday, I feel your pain! I'm not having too much trouble with nausea, but I am also afraid I'm getting dehydrated as I can only take a small amount of liquid at a time. I still feel like I swallowed a beach ball. I hope your nausea goes away, I know that feeling is pretty miserable!

Thanks for all the advice! I called my doctor and went into the office to get my band completely unfilled (it had 1cc in it). He also gave me a nausea patch. I am feeling a little better and can take more liquid. I tried the gas-x and that seems to help a little bit, too. Hopefully all of this will pass soon!

Hang tight it gets better just keep telling yourself this too shall pass!!! I had the same reaction and felt I was going to die but keep taking sipps of Water. Your body will react because its toxic free from years of junk!! Just hold on!! I am here if you need me!!! Trust me!! My surgery was June 5th.

Hang tight it gets better just keep telling yourself this too shall pass!!! I had the same reaction and felt I was going to die but keep taking sipps of Water. Your body will react because its toxic free from years of junk!! Just hold on!! I am here if you need me!!! Trust me!! My surgery was June 5th.

Hi there it's nice to see a post from someone whose band date was do close to mine. My surgery was June 4h. I'm doing great. Glad you are too. I'm still on full liquids i.e. Protein shakes Jello pudding broth Popsicles etc. I will be so glad when Monday gets here so I can move up to mushy foods. So what phase are you right now. What has your experience been like? I'm still a little sore but hardly any pain after about the fifth day I started feeling like my old self. So far I've loss 10 lbs. hope to hear from you soon. Good Luck and take care.