Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain & Cramps In My Left Side?

I was banded 4/18, so 6-days postop... I seem to have developed sharp cramps in my left side, and can no longer lie on that side... I assume the cramps are just gas, but I'm surprised that I can't roll over. The first 4 days I was sleeping on that side, so it's weird that I can't stand any weight on it anymore... Was thinking about calling my surgeon, but thought I'd ask here first in case everyone has BTDT.... Ouch!

According to my surgeon, occasionally a patient will develope cramping and spasming at the port placement site. It is the body adjusting to the new implant and can last up to 2 months. I was banded March 20. It was frequent and absolutely random initially. It was so painful it actaully doubled me over in pain. I rested, used muscle relaxants and a heating pad when I had these "attacks". I seldom have them any more, thank goodness.

According to my surgeon' date=' occasionally a patient will develope cramping and spasming at the port placement site. It is the body adjusting to the new implant and can last up to 2 months. I was banded March 20. It was frequent and absolutely random initially. It was so painful it actaully doubled me over in pain. I rested, used muscle relaxants and a heating pad when I had these "attacks". I seldom have them any more, thank goodness.[/quote']

Mayme, was your pain at your port site? My port is in the middle, right under my bra line. But the pain is all the way over, under my left rib... There was a small incision near there, but I dont think that has anything to do with it??? What do you think?

I had severe cramping the second week after surgery. Like Mayme said, spasms can happen after surgery and make you think something is seriously wrong when it's just trying to heal. But then again, if it gets too bad, call your doctor. I actually went to the ER because I had to stop the car on my way home from work and have my husband take me to the hospital. Needless to say, alot of hospitals are not familiar with the band and are not sure how to determine what is going on. I was given every test in the world, IV, scans, you name it and the thing that helped eventually was the muscle relaxer in my IV. After that eposode, I was pretty much ok. Hope you get some relief soon.

Ya, that's the wierd thing... the spasms were in different areas on my left stomach/ side but eventually localized to the port area. I agree, if you feel something is wrong call your surgeon or seek emergency treatment. Get well soon :)

I was banded 4/18, so 6-days postop... I seem to have developed sharp cramps in my left side, and can no longer lie on that side... I assume the cramps are just gas, but I'm surprised that I can't roll over. The first 4 days I was sleeping on that side, so it's weird that I can't stand any weight on it anymore... Was thinking about calling my surgeon, but thought I'd ask here first in case everyone has BTDT.... Ouch!

SashaWLS, I think we were talking in another thread about the gas bubbles. I am having the EXACT same problem now. I have a very high pain threshold but the pain under my left rib brings tears to my eyes it lasts for only a few minutes but a very looooong few minutes. I was banded 4/19 and was able to sleep on my side almost immediately. I am so sorry you are going through this too but I am also relieved that I'm not alone!

I was banded on 4/12 & have experienced those same pains. To be honest, the gas has been the worst part of everything! I don't have the shoulder pain, just the terrible gas & Constipation issues. I walk A LOT so that does help, but have also been taking mirlax,milk of magnisum, enimas.

I read that the gas pains can last up to six weeks.... OUCH! Once I get past this issue I will be a very happy girl. :)

SashaWLS' date=' I think we were talking in another thread about the gas bubbles. I am having the EXACT same problem now. I have a very high pain threshold but the pain under my left rib brings tears to my eyes it lasts for only a few minutes but a very looooong few minutes. I was banded 4/19 and was able to sleep on my side almost immediately. I am so sorry you are going through this too but I am also relieved that I'm not alone![/quote']

Silverdime, It does sound like we're having the same issues!!! Do you happen to have a numb tongue, too?? :-)

I still get pains about 2 inches below my left ribs from time to time. I believe it to be gas moving its way through, but they are pretty strong pains. But if your pain has increased and is severe, call your surgeon!

Truly, don't mess with waiting to see what develops. I had a simple outpatient procedure (not related to my band) on Friday, April 6. By Sunday I was not feeling well. By Monday night my fever was 103.8. Tuesday I was in the ER with Sepsis. I still haven't returned to work. I don't know if I will be able to return next week, this has kicked me so far down.

Not saying you have an infection or anything, but if it doesn't feel right, please call!

No numb tongue. But I do feel numbness at the bottom of my calf/Achilles heel.

Emailed my surgeon about the rib pain and he said that it's normal (not to worry) but to call if it persists.

I have been very worried about infection so I take my temp every night. The first few nights after surgery it was a bit high but normal since.

GasX doesn't help. :(

I seem to be managing the cramps by lying on my back and pressing lightly on the cramp and very gently trying to push the gas bubbles along my intestinal path... It's making me pass gas a little and easing the pain...discovered this last night...

I was banded 4yrs ago, recently had a slip but it's all good now. I also get those pains, at first I thought I had eaten too much. But turns out I was blocked up. How regular do you have a bm? My regular doctor told me it was my Bowl pushing up into that area from lack of being able to go. Id get checked to see if that is the issue or a band complication

I never thought I'd be talking about BMs with anyone! lol. But Asherje, I think you are right! I had only gone once since surgery. Sent the BF out for some Milk of Magnesia (I read that it can help move things along) and was able to expel this morning. I feel a lot better!

I hope the pain ceases today!

Lol right. I think becoming a mom, this surgery & hitting 30 next month. I've lost my shame of speaking these things. We joke between my girl friends, how our conversations 10yrs ago was men, sex & work has since turned in to kids, medical issues and work hahaha.

I hope it helps and you can start feeling better today.

Glad you contacted your surgeon, wise to check your temp after surgery! Very happy to hear the milk of mag helped, and that you are feeling better.