Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

List of foods you can eat

Hi all,

I've been around this froum for a while, but just got banded a week ago, and I'm wondering what are the foods we could eat and the foods we could not eat...

For example I tried some of these and found them easy to eat

Smoked Salmon

chicken nuggets

Soups

Please try to write me a list of what you can eat and what you can't and it will be GREATLY appreacited

I was on liquids/mushies for 3 or 4 weeks after surgery - 1st two weeks were definitely liquids. When I started eating real foods I found some things easy and some things not so easy.... Dry meats tend to be a problem for me. If I have meat, I always have sauce of some kind and I make sure the meat is tender. Lots of people have issues with bread (I have a problem with gooey bread, but not with wheat bread *so far*). It's different for different people from what I've read. So far those are the only two things I've tried that I personally have had a problem with. I make absolutely sure that I chew everything up really, really good though. If it sticks together and won't chew up well, then I don't eat it. I've seen lots of posts on this subject - check the food threads and see what else you find. Good luck with the new band - go easy for a while! France, huh? wow!

CAN List:

-- Any ground meat - you can make awesome burgers/meatballs with ground chicken, turkey, pork, veal

-- Cold cuts, cheese, and wheat thins (my favorite snack)

-- Polenta (gotta get a carb somewhere)

-- Any vegetables (even the dreaded celery and asparagus)

-- salad all the livelong day

-- Sushi if chewed well (my favorite is spicy tuna, and my favorite restaurant in Houston does a dish called spicy tekka don, which is spicy tuna over a bed of rice)

-- Pasta

CAN'T eat more than a few bites for taste:

-- Anything heavily breaded and fried (i.e. all delicious appetizers)

-- Doughy breads, including pastries and my famous cupcakes

-- McDonald's...I drive between Houston and Dallas a lot, and in the beginning of my banded life, I would eat a happy meal on the way - not anymore! The fries are fine, but even one bite of that burger gives me the golfball from hell

I've found that I can eat just about everything if I chew it well. The foods on my can't list give me problems if I try to make an entire meal out of them. I have yet to encounter a food that makes me throw up after one bite.

I've never had a problem with sweets, I was always more of a salty gal. But you know how you start wanting things when someone tells you that you can't have it. So I've been craving chocolate lately, and I found the best solution (for me)!! I like dark chocolate, and it takes away my craving with a very small amount (I think milk chocolate has some chemical properties similar to opioids and just makes you want it more). I buy small pieces of dark chocolate, like Hershey's Special Dark or Ghiradelli squares, and one or two a day takes away my cravings.