Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Venting!

smmrsue
Sign in to follow this  

As I type I'm figuring out what being stuck feels like. . Ate slow, chewed well. I never want to see a deep fried chicken strip ever again. That's what I get for eating that junk anyway. I haven't lost weight in two weeks. Yesterday was the first day I reached 900 calories. Every other day it's been around 600. I never had heartburn before being banded. Now, if I drink Water anytime in the hour before bed I feel the wrath of my body revolting. What on earth did I do to myself? I could deal with the pitfalls if I were losing weight.... But I'm not. It's so hard to follow all the rules my doctor gave me and still not lose this close post op. Sucks.

Ok Sue now take a deep deep breath. You learned that the chicken strip at this time is a NO NO. And you feel discouraged but think your not having fills yet and you have lost 25lbs adn i know some of that was before surgery. The heartburn will improve with time. In a year you will be looking back and thinking how happy you are that you did the lapband. We all have pitfalls and we all have down days. But this is going to work for you just keep telling yourself that. I know i am not one to talk since i have not had my band yet but when i do and i have these feelings ( i think everyone does ) then you can repeat what i have said to you and tell me how good its going to be when we are all skinny and healthy.. So smile and keep pushing forward you have to blaze a path for all of us following you.

summrsue,

I'm so glad you posted. I haven't lost anything either (4lbs since surgery), although ppl around me say they can see it. HA! I've like to know where. But Deb is right, neither one of us has had a fill yet and we're still healing. I've also heard this is pretty normal until we get our first fill. Personally, it's frustrating because I feel like I should be losing for what little I eat. I also started my TOM AGAIN yesterday and my scale always jumps up when that happens so I feel like I back to square one. OK, so that was my debbie downer voice......

Now the rest of the story, I had my first "episode" with feeling any restriction Sat when I was between clients, hadn't eaten all day, and I took two quick bites of a Lean Cuisine. OMG! I felt like my chest was going to explode. Talk about crazy. I felt like crying, had the hiccups, couldn't talk and trying to be polite all at the same time. My client showed up right as I took my second bite and I had to excuse myself 3 times. Felt like I was trying to shallow an elephant butt first. Ended up getting rid of it, THANK GOODNESS! Not sure if it was the Pasta or the amount I didn't chew but holy crap I don't want to do that again. I've also heard fried foods are tough. I threw away the whole plate of food and didn't eat again for 4 hrs. and nibbled. Humble me now Lord!

I think we all have to remember this is a process, not a quick fix. I also have to add that anyone who ever says to me that I took the easy way out better guard their chest. I may just punch them with all my force and say "how easy was that?"... KIDDING.. well maybe not totally.

Deb is right... we have to keep pushing forward and blaze away. I just want you to know your not alone here. I'm counting ounces and the days till I get my fill.

OH... my doc gave me meds to take for 30 days for the heartburn. Might want to call your doc.

BIG BEAR HUGS Sweetness~

Thanks so much ladies. You are both right, in everything you said. The band not working for me or the fact that I have some horribly flawed metabolism has been one of my biggest fears. Not losing weight in over 2 weeks AND eating less than 1000 cals a day just adds fuel to my fire.

I know the band is not a quick fix, I never wanted one, just help with Portion Control and weight loss. I guess I'm wondering what a fill is going to do for me. I don't eat more than 1/2 a cup, I'm not hungry unless I accidentally go 6 hours between meals. I think I got the post surgery blues a little late.

I'll keep blazing forward, but for now, I'm down in the dumps. Thanks for the support ladies. Both of you have been the biggest supporters here for me, and I owe you both.

Ladies great post. I am 3 days from my surgery. One thing that my doctor reminded me of when I met with her 2 weeks ago was that I shouldn't expect to lose much weight before the first fill. You also have to remember that prior to surgery we were all probably eating a lot more calories (I know I was). When you drop your calories significantly your metabolism actually slows down and goes into starvation mode for a while as it tries to hold onto your fat. Give it some time and let your metabolism adjust. Easy for me to say but I have been frustrated with the pre-surgery diet in only losing 12# so far with eating so little. Of course when was the last time I lost 12 pounds in such a short time?

Hugs and hang in there. Thanks for sharing!

Susan

sue - I feel your frustration. If i remember correctly we were banded about the same time. I have lost only 1 pound per week after my first week. It seems like I keep playing with the same pound on the scale and to the point that my husband threatened to hide the scale! I know I obsess over it way too much! I think I have the same issues as you. I am really not hungry but if I eat exactly the measurements the doc recommends then I am getting in very little calories. After my first fill on May 7th - I can increase my portions...hopefully that will help.

I am two weeks post op today. I have been weighing myself every day, and keep yo-yo ing the same pound or two every day. I resolve to set two weigh ins a week and not get on the scale, and not be frustrated. I am barely eating, and can't understand why the weight isn't falling off me, but I keep trying to hold my fear at bay. I wish I had done measurements, b/c I suspect I would see some movement there. This board has been a lifesaver for me - I keep listening to everyone when they say that they hang for a bit, and then lose a bunch at once. I think it's kind of a shock- I lost weight so quickly during the preop diet, and during the first week after surgery- I was thinking that it would continue. Hang in there- we feel your pain, and there are long-timers here to reassure us that it will start coming off! I am meeting with my nutritionist in a half hour, and will share any insight she has :)

weight at start of pre surgery diet - 304/current weight 280/surgery 4/10, Follow up 5/1

I know an appendectomy isn't the same as band surgery, but I do want to encourage you. When I arrived home after my surgery and a night in the hospital, my weight was up several pounds, though I had eaten only a minimal amount; I was extremely discouraged. Then I started eating Easter candy a few days later, largely due to my frustration with the scale and to not controlling what I brought into my home environment. I got a little out-of-control for a short time, then got back on track, thanks to those of you here who helped me. Since then, I have been trying to eat healthy, but I haven't been restricting calories like I was earlier because I want to heal as quickly as possible so that I don't risk another band delay. I am back to my same walking routine now, but for two weeks after my surgery, I didn't possess the energy to walk nearly as much as I normally do. However, even with the decreased exercise and increased calories, my weight has gradually returned to where it was before surgery, with absolutely no special effort on my part. Now, I am fairly certain that I was retaining Water. Lots of Water.

I understand how it's frustrating when the scale doesn't move, but try to stay positive and keep pushing yourself. You WILL get to your destination. In the meantime, though, try to focus on the overall success you've had so far: 25 pounds lost IS a major accomplishment!