Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned About Pre-Op Diet...

I am in no way doubting my surgeon - under no circumstances do I consider myself more qualified to give pre-op instructions than she is, but the more I read, the more I see people who had to go on liquid diets 1-2 weeks prior to surgery.

My doctor is just having me do a low-fat diet the week before (my surgery is Tuesday). I'm paranoid that she's going to open me up and find that my liver is the size of a prize winng 4 H hog.

Could you all please share your pre-op diets with me?

Again, I'm not looking to change anything, I'm just curious :-)

My pre-op diet was 2 Protein Shakes a day and 1 small low calorie meal. I was instrcted to lose 5 pounds before surgery.

mine will be less restrictive than yours. I only have to do liquid diet the day before surgery. I'm 100% confident in my doctor...he's done thousands of bands. Each dr is different. As long as you are comfortable with your dr you'll be fine.

Funny thing is he seems more restrictive than others in the post op diet. Longer on liquids and mushies than other's I've seen.

I was told to go on a liquid diet only the day before and nothing else prior to that. And I don't believe my surgeon changed his protocol for most patients. There could be some deviation from this with specific patients but this was his way.

Your surgeon seems to have a handle on you and her skillset. I think that this surgery may have come a long ways in the last 10 years and some doctors could be slaves to old ways. There's also the litigious side of surgery that makes many docs nervous about pre-op diets and failed outcomes. JMO

My doc had me do the South Beach Super Charge Diet Phase 1 for 14 days prior to surgery.

I am on a full liquid diet. I can have Gatorade 2, sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, Protein Shakes, broth and crystal light. I could also have milk, yogurt and cottage cheese but I don't like any of those things. I just started my liquid diet today. 9 days left to go!

My doctor had me on Adkins, and I didn't lose any weight until I finally had it done...I wouldn't worry to much, it looks like every doctor has their own method. Good luck to you :)

My pre-op diet will consist of 2 weeks of the Optifast diet program., It's 1000 calories and you must have 6 servings which can be shakes, bars or Soup. I think I'm going to do 3 shakes, 2 bars and 1 soup.

Oh, one more thing...I would recommended if you can, do just liquids for at least 4 days before, only to get you used to having to do that. You'll be on liquids for quite a while after, then mushys. But even after fills you go on liquids for a couple days. At least that's what they have me doing. (I had my first fill yesterday) It'll get you used to only drinking your meals and not eating. Just an idea.

I had the same pre-op as you. I followed low fat for about two weeks, then the last week I chose on my own to do two Protein Shakes, two greek yogurts, and one Protein Bar a day til the day before surgery.

Mine was 5 Protein Shakes a day, and no more than 1000 calls total... Can also have 2cup non-starchy veggies a day...

Every doctor is different..my doctor put me on 4 slim fast low carb shakes a day and anything that was zero calories like Jello crystal light Popsicles I can have unlimited..Its 800 calories a day for 2 weeks. I'm on day 5

good luck let us know how you are after.

Thanks for your input everyone! My big day is tomorrow, I'm on a clear liquid diet today and then I'm off to bandster land :-)

Best of luck to you! I just started my pre-op diet today (Dr. Fox has me on South Beach Supercharged). If you want a good Protein shake, I HIGHLY recommend going to www.Unjury.com and getting some of theirs. They also have a strawberry Sorbet and chicken Soup that you can use when you have to go on Clear liquids after surgery.