Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More Than Half Of Weight Gained Back

I feel like such a failure! I have now gained back more than half of my original weight lost back :(. I have been out of control for a long time now. I just looked back and in September I was planning to be back to plan. Now 7 months later I've gained more weight and still not losing.

I have an appointment for May 21 to get a fill.

I honestly feel like I have no idea what to do anymore. I need a step by step plan again. When I just try to eat when hungry, I just eat eat eat. I go from eating plan to plan with no avail.

Any ideas how to get back on track before the dr appointment?

I think you need to have a heart-to-heart talk with your surgeon and/or nutritionist.

Also, try to identify what worked well for you at the beginning to allow you to lose weight. What's changed?

You say that when you try to eat only when hungry, you eat and eat and eat. Are you letting yourself get TOO hungry? Maybe it would be better to eat several small meals & Snacks spaced out evenly through the day?

For the first year I watched all of my portions. I would eat less than half of the food when we ate out. I also didn't have hardly any sugary foods.

After my pregnancy I went back to bigger meals and the sugar. I have a huge sugar addiction. I try to cut it out and after a couple days spiral out of control again.

I don't ever feel full. I just feel like I can always eat.

Keep your head up!! You can do it. You've done it before and will keep succeeding. One pound lost is a pound in the right direction. Just take things one day at a time and when you get to see your doctor, be completely honest and open hearted with him/her. It sounds like a good fill will get you back on track if you don't ever feel full. I went thru a time when I wouldn't eat at work because I didn't really feel hungry, but once I was at home in the evenings I couldn't find anything to make me feel full. I agree with spacing out several small meals during the day. If nothing else it will help keep your blood sugar stabilized and help with the sugar cravings.

It think it's definitely time for a fill. And I think that if you try spacing out healthy meals & Snacks throughout the day, it will help with your hunger and also with your blood sugar, as Melissa said.

Sugars and refined carbs (like white flour) are bad news for your blood sugar, and you don't have to be diabetic to be concerned about your blood sugar. I happen to have Type 2 diabetes so have all the gear needed to check my blood glucose levels. A few years back during a very stressful time, I started "treating" my blood sugar lows with Peanut Butter crackers. They would magically lift my blood sugar (and mood), but that also caused big spikes upward and then big, miserable crashes about 30 minutes after I ate. Each crash caused me to feel voraciously hungry, so I would eat more crackers...and on and on...When I finally realized what was going on and gave up the crackers, I felt so much better I wanted to slap myself upside the head for putting myself through all that foolishness.

I know that giving up the food you're addicted to is scary. If you just can't do it all at once, you might want to try stepping it down gradually (like weaning yourself off meds or tobacco). The tactic that works best for me is to eat some Protein with every meal or snack. That way I get some longer-lasting fuel from the protein, and some quick-acting energy from the carbs in the meal. I feel less deprived, I feel better physically, and I crave the "bad" food less and less.

I have read that some people go back to the post-op diet for a short time to try and get their head back in the game.

I'm sure your surgeon or nutritionist would be glad to give you a refresher course in the post-op diet that worked well for you before.

I feel like such a failure! I have now gained back more than half of my original weight lost back :(. I have been out of control for a long time now. I just looked back and in September I was planning to be back to plan. Now 7 months later I've gained more weight and still not losing.

I have an appointment for May 21 to get a fill.

I honestly feel like I have no idea what to do anymore. I need a step by step plan again. When I just try to eat when hungry, I just eat eat eat. I go from eating plan to plan with no avail.

Any ideas how to get back on track before the dr appointment?

definately you need to see a nutritionalist. it sounds like you need some accountability... we all do at some time. dont despair, you can get back on the right track . dont let your past interfere with your future.