Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Going In For A Third Surgery For A Flipped Port!!!!

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum but I need some help and advice. I have had a lapband for about 7 years and didn't have a problem with it, and a year ago my port got a leak (someone stuck it with a needle through the tubing) so I had it replaced in October 2011 with I think one of those flatter ports, I think they were designed flatter to be low profile and the tubing you can't put a hole in it with a needle either. Exactly one month later I was back in hospital as the new port had flipped. The surgeon sutured it down and did an adjustment during surgery for me. About 1-2 months later I found out my port had flipped again, for the third time. This Monday coming is my third operation for a port revision and I'm very, very upset as I think this will not fix the problem.

Has anyone experienced what I'm going through?

Thanks!

I am so sorry to hear about your struggles. Praying for you.

I was wondering about that myself. About a month ago, my port seem to be moving around and I have only had it in for 3 months. At first I could feel the flat side where they put the needle in, now all I feel is like a hard ball or something. When I said something to the doctor, he said it was ok, but then when he went in to give me my second fill, he dug and dug and couldn't hit it and had to pull out the ultrasound machine and realized it was not in the place he thought it was. I thought that seemed strange, so I asked him again and he still said it was ok and that since I had lost over 30# since surgery, it would seem as if it felt different. So how did you find out it had flipped and how do they fix it? I go in Thursday for another fill and really hope he can get it the first time, because I really hate needles and digging around just creeps me out. Hope your gets better soon.

Oh my... guess this just makes me me more nervous...I have appointment in an hour with my surgeon.

I went on Thursday and the two nurses could not find my port to give me a fill.They stuck me about 15 times.. I am hoping they did not pierce my tubing...

My first fill was a nightmare, but

I have had several since and they were fine. I am really hoping the Dr can find the port..I can't feel it either!

I love my band and I am almost at the right amount of liquid and don't want to lose this restriction!!

Thanks for letting me vent and posting your issues so I know this could be on going problem.

When they pierce the tubing it leaves a leak so when they do a fill there is no restriction and you feel it, which is when you need a replacement like I did the first time.

Port movement is normal, people do get it, but flipping is common but not supposed to happen. My original port never moved, flipped or anything, but the replacement port (some new thing they brought out that's more low profile because people were complaining it stuck out too much when they lost weight and has like... a stiffer tubing which you can't pierce with a needle) has claws which is what was supposed to hook it to where it's supposed to go. The first the claws must not of activated properly or something so it came straight off immediately and my recovery harder as it was moving around my abdomen with claws sticking out, mind you it was painful. It flipped immediately. The second operation they sutured it down, this lasted a little bit longer, about a month or two and I did successful have some fills, but one night I rolled over and felt this incredible pain, which was it ripping the sutures out. When a port is flipped the needle will hit something hard, and you can feel it. You can also hear it tapping it at either metal or plastic which is the most obvious sign. When they can't find it because you've lost weight is pretty normal, but when they can find it and get a needle in it successfully it's good. Sometimes they can manage to flip it over, and the surgeon was able to do that once last time and get it but after that there has been no hope getting it.

This is where it leaves me now, it's completely flipped over. I'm not sure if this port isn't suited to my body because I have a horse and horse ride (funny hearing a chubby person say that, ha, LOL), maybe the way I heal or whatever. So I haven't got enough fill, eating like crazy and everything. I've had the band long enough to know when exactly something is wrong and everything. I've so many needles I actually have needle scars on my tummy.So you can imagine just how frustrated I am unfortunately =(

The operation is pretty quick, 30 minutes or so and he does it under general anesthesia. He goes in through a original cut and it's a pretty minimal operation because they don't have to enter the abdomen cavity or anything like that. It's also an outpatient procedure and the surgeon bills my health insurance fund and what not so I don't have any out of pocket expenses, I'm just a big sook with hospitals, needles, anesthesia etc. LOL. I'm SUCH a sook I even opt for Gas Induction because the needle just scares me too much and they find it difficult to find a vein. Their against it because it's supposed to be less safe but I've been fine the last... 3 times (the first operation to have the band put it, then 7 years later for the 2 re do surgeries).

Mind you, when I first had it done 7 years ago, it worked beautifully for me! Lost the weight no problems at all!