Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Can You Expect To Experience The First 3 Days After Surgery ?

Bandsters:

Any thoughts on what we can expect from day 1 to 3 after surgery? I'm decided to go with Dr. Kuri so if anyone has surgery with him I encourage you to post as well.

1) What is the typical or average pain level the day of the surgery and a couple days afterwords? I know everyone is different but I'm sure there is a typical norm associated with this surgery.

2) Anything you wish that you would have realized during the first week after surgery? Anything done differently?

1. No pain at all, just uncomfortable from gas. Its just a minor Op takes 30 to 45 mins normally.

2. My doctor fully prepared me and the nurses imparted a lot of info too so i never felt unprepared. I think i realised that having my wisdom tooth out was more painful than the band..

My pain was about a 7 and I have a pretty high pain tolerence. The first day wasn't that bad but the second day was. I think the gas and port were the worst. I had my sugery on Friday and went back to work on Tuesday. I wish I would have taken the week off.

I was the worst around day four. Gas/bloating etc. called my dr and he asked If I'd had a BM yet....duh no wonder I was so miserable! 12 hrs after milk of mag my world was bright sunny again hehe. Lots of walking and Water and make sure u have those bm's. U will b fine. I needed a full week off as well. Lots of ppl say two-three days (including my nurse) but it just wasn't enough for me. Don't over due it or ur port site is gonna be sore as the dickens!!

1. No pain at all, just uncomfortable from gas. Its just a minor Op takes 30 to 45 mins normally.

2. My doctor fully prepared me and the nurses imparted a lot of info too so i never felt unprepared. I think i realised that having my wisdom tooth out was more painful than the band..

Who was your doctor? Maybe they have perfected the process of doing the surgery?

Thoughts?

I am not sure about the original post...this same person is asking survey questions on here with a different topic. Hmmmm?

I am not sure about the original post...this same person is asking survey questions on here with a different topic. Hmmmm?

To the person who has shady and ulterior motives....EVERYONE has shady and ulterior motives. Nothing is pure in the eyes of people like this. Your response SERIOUSLY makes me GAG Yve!

Its called 2 different GENUINE QUESTIONS GOOFY....UNBELIEVABLE......

To the rest of you....I sincerely apologize for the troll (who hovers over their computer and has TONS of time on their hands) and who has crapped on this thread twice now......

In the meantime, we would all love to hear your responses from those who have genuinely learned something from their experience and can help those who haven't made this step yet. I know I would personally. I'm a very proactive...yet a little nervous about getting this surgery and I desire to learn techniques (or just learn in general) how I can quickly adjust to living life with the band efficiently.

I'm sure the majority would love to know this as I really have never heard anyone talk about this topic before.

Blessings to all (even to my new crapper friend :P ) ! I'm sorry...but it needed to be said...otherwise she will be crapping on other peoples threads who have genuine questions. I mean.....HOW REALLY can someone have ulterior motives for posting questions like this....I MEAN REALLY ?

I was the worst around day four. Gas/bloating etc. called my dr and he asked If I'd had a BM yet....duh no wonder I was so miserable! 12 hrs after milk of mag my world was bright sunny again hehe. Lots of walking and Water and make sure u have those bm's. U will b fine. I needed a full week off as well. Lots of ppl say two-three days (including my nurse) but it just wasn't enough for me. Don't over due it or ur port site is gonna be sore as the dickens!!

Thanks for sharing mandagay....sounds like the norm I'm hearing is the pain goes away after 4-5 days on average with the symptoms of pain completely gone after a week. I know EVERYONE is different but this is what I'm observing and noticing anyway. I can't wait to get this done....I've LITERALLY gained gained 85lbs in 7 years. I"m 38 now and have always been in shape. I was 210lbs (and cute) now I feel like I'm a frumpy peace of dough (sorry about the visual...haha). I'm actually kind of really upset that I'm almost 300lbs now. I love working out (and still do) ...I've just went through alot of personal things during the last 7 years and I think the stress has caused me to gain this weight.

Since my brothers success (and hearing the many success stories on this forum) it's worth it ...in my opinion....but as much knowledge as I have regarding this surgery......I'm still a little uneasy about this. The worst thing in the world I want is to go half way across the world (to Mexico) then fly back to the Midwest here and something were to happen. I'm a positive person and believe in taking risks....but we are not dealing with milk and twinkies with a surgery like this. This surgery changes peoples lives forever !!!

The more knowledge or trends we can learn from others (who already have had this surgery) can only help all of us make better and well informed decisions. At minimum....we can now plan and prepare for situations..... like right after getting banded.

Who was your doctor? Maybe they have perfected the process of doing the surgery?

Thoughts?

I am in the UK, I was self pay in a private hospital.. I was dreading the Op at my age of 56 but it sincerely was a breeze. Caesarian was much worse of an operation. Did your brother have post op pain ?

I am in the UK, I was self pay in a private hospital.. I was dreading the Op at my age of 56 but it sincerely was a breeze. Caesarian was much worse of an operation. Did your brother have post op pain ?

I remember when he first came home he did. Not sure how the subsequant days were after. I specifically remembered him not taking any liquid Vicodin out of fear he wouldn't feel the pain. He wanted to feel the pain so he could be proactive in identifying if something was going wrong internally.

By the way.....SINCERELY...congrats on your weightloss. Just noticed you lost over 235lbs. My brother lost around 265lbs. This surgery literally has altered his entire life for the better. I'm so happy for him...even though he thinks my questions are dumb. I'm deep thinker and researcher. Can't help it...I graduated with my Masters Degree from a Research 1 University at ASU.

I was in pain and hungry. I was not prepaired emotionally for this.

What do u wish u had known ?

By the way.....SINCERELY...congrats on your weightloss. Just noticed you lost over 235lbs. My brother lost around 265lbs. This surgery literally has altered his entire life for the better. I'm so happy for him...even though he thinks my questions are dumb. I'm deep thinker and researcher. Can't help it...I graduated with my Masters Degree from a Research 1 University at ASU.

Are you still in Arizona? Im in Az.

I did have pain in the port site, but I was only using liquid Tylenol. I am allergic to codein, morphine. Since my port is on the left hand side I found it easier to get out of bed on the right hand side.

In my overnight in the hospital I was in the bathroom all night urinating. Which was super annoying but which meant I did not gain any weight from the IV. My first day home I "ate", slept, and walked around the house. Spent the first night at home in the bathroom with diarrhea; but upside did'nt get backed up like some.

NO GAS PAIN AT ALL!!!!! Dr. Brahms Lahey Clinic Burlington MA.

Was a passenger for an one hour drive to my mothers on day 3. Day 4 started back at the gym on the treadmill for about 45 minutes (My mother is a gym rat and she goes swimming everyday. Forced me in a good way to get my work outs. I was exercising everyday preop doing an hour of lap swimming so it was'nt a huge shock to my system.)

For that first week after going to the gym I would come home and have an hour nap. We would go out to stores like costco so I could walk around but then go back to the car for a break.