Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Progress...

How many calories do you eat daily? I have been at a depressing stand still this month. I resigned to keeping a food diary which I hate doing. But in that process I learned I am consuming about 1300 calories a day. I have a few online friends who have the LB, and they aim for under 1000 a day. So that made me think I am eating too much. however, according to an REE I had done it said I need to consume 1900 calories a day to lose weight. An REE is a device that measures your resting metabolism and how many calories needed to lose or maintain. SO..... If the REE is right, I'm probably not losing weight because I'm going into "starvation mode"??? What do you all think? I will go for another fill in 9 days, and i will ask them, but I was curious of what everyone here thought. Thanks!

My doctor likes me to eat 1000 calories a day.

I was told to eat 1200 a day (I am 201lbs)

My doctor said to stay between 1000-1200 calories a day....once I get to actually eat food. lol

There is no way at 1300 calories you are any where near 'starvation mode' that is where the body starts using muscle to maintain its nutrients and given that we are all over weight we just dont get anywhere near that unless u are burning over 1300 calories a day too...

If you arent losing at 1300 then u need to reduce it, following pre-set guidelines and rules works for some but not all, i would put on weight if i followed my RMR of 1750 so i dont .. you need to become your own expert about you, know what foods u can eat and cant, you didnt mention exercise, for many its essential to burn off some calories otherwise the scales remain static. so get moving eat a few less carbs and sugar and try that, make sure u try to do 1200 a day for a few days then reduce again to 1100 if necessary.

I have eaten 1000 calories and burned at least 500 every day for over a year now and look how much weight i have managed to lose... foreget being and 'average' and start finding out what u have to do for yourself :)

I was told 1200 cal/day but I take in less than that, have not quite made it there yet.

Thanks everyone for replying!! Yes, I do exercise, 5 days a week, 30 min walk up and down steep hills. I will reduce my calories some more and see how that goes.

I eat around 700-900 calories a day. My doctors will not really give me an answer to that question. Last week I lost 4# and have consistantly lost 1-2# each week since surgery to the tune of 38# sinc Jan. 25 of this year. Sounds like I am on track. What is really confusing and irritating to me is that I can eat a cup of food each meal, no problem. For the most part I stick with the high end of Protein and then eat my veggies like I am suppose to, but last week I was lectured about eating a cup of food at each meal. I have 5cc in a 10cc band, which Thursday I get another fill. They think I haven't hit my sweet spot yet.

If I only eat 3/4 cup of food a meal, I would really like to know how you can meet your 60-70 grams of Protein in a day as well as not go into starvation mode eventually? If I did that I would be under 500 calories a day it would seem.

She told me that I could cause myself to slip or erode my band if I eat a cup each meal. Seems to me if I can lost 4# in a week and lose 1-2# each week outside of that, I am probably not risking hurting myself. If anything I would think the band is getting looser. I don't know call me sllly, but her scenerio really doesn't make a lot of sence. I could see it if I was gaining weight eating what I do, but I do not. Plus I excercise about 5 days a week now. So the answer to your question may depend on your doctor. Sounds like alot of our doctors have different ideas how this procedure works.

My resting metabolism is 1980 calories .... I dont eat that or i would stay the same weight. My doctor told me to eat 1000 calories a day.