Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To This Site Had Band For 5 Yrs

Hello I am new to this site found by google as I was thinking I was having issues with the band

I had the band for 5.5 yrs. I have lost about 70 ibs not much for 5 yrs. most was lost the first few weeks of placement. I had some issues 4 days after surg I ended up in the hospital due to gas outlet syndrome- all the gas from Surg was going to my stomach it was one of the 2ost painful things I experienced. Well they stuck a tube down my nose and sucked out the gas. 3 days in the hospital. Found out I had issues with morphine it is not a good pain med for me

I then started having pains in my stomach. And dry heaving for about 20 min and the. Was fine for about a few hrs. Did this for about 3 days. Couldnt take it anymore and went to the er

Did tests an upper gi - woke up with a feeding tube down my nose and went to ICU for a nught well they found an ulser about the size of a silver dollar. A week in the hospital lost alot of weight there

Well now 5 yrs later i did find the green zone but was not fillowing the ban rules drinking wheneating and was about a yr and half since i say the dr and i was thinking of revision to bypass. Talked with the dr and he told me to think it over and give the band about 6 mths to see if a revision is needed

He did state that the were not doing the band that much any more due to studies and people were revising to the bypass

So I have to think abou this

This is a very personal decision, but if I were you, I'd give your band at least one more try. It will never magically make you lose weight, and if you don't follow the rules, it will never work for you at all. And you're going to have to follow the same rules if you revise to the bypass.

I would consider the sleeve before the bypass. Or like your Doc said. give the band somemore time. And start the process over from the beginning, starting on liquids. good luck!

I wanted to share some info with you I just found out about with regards to gastric bypass. I just had band with plication. It is like the sleeve with out them cutting off. They fold your stomach over and stitch it (no cutting and can be reversed). I have many friends and family that have had gastric and while yes they have lost the weight they are now facing a bigger demon... bigger than food. Achololism. There have been some recent studies that show about 30% of bypass patients now suffer from acholoism. My aunt had bypass 8 years ago and not get get through one night with out her husband waking up with her every 2-3 hours and measures out 2 oz. of vodka just so she does not get deathly ill. Not that everyone is effected but please do your research and look at your family history.

The ban with plication is a new procedure you might want to look more into that. Good luck to you

I wanted to share some info with you I just found out about with regards to gastric bypass. I just had band with plication. It is like the sleeve with out them cutting off. They fold your stomach over and stitch it (no cutting and can be reversed). I have many friends and family that have had gastric and while yes they have lost the weight they are now facing a bigger demon... bigger than food. Achololism. There have been some recent studies that show about 30% of bypass patients now suffer from acholoism. My aunt had bypass 8 years ago and not get get through one night with out her husband waking up with her every 2-3 hours and measures out 2 oz. of vodka just so she does not get deathly ill. Not that everyone is effected but please do your research and look at your family history.

The ban with plication is a new procedure you might want to look more into that. Good luck to you

Transfer addiction can happen to any bariatric patient, not just bypass patients.

I know an alcoholic bypass patient and a band patient who became addicted to pain pills. When we can't use food for comfort or numbing any more, it can be tempting to turn to some other substance or activity to deal with it. So we all need to be cautious because of the potential for transfer addiction.

I am 4 plus years post op. I lost 100, then gained 56 back. Had gallbladder and then port replacement surgery. A month ago I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and severe esophagitis.

I wanted my band out. I was tired of all the issues, pain, limited weightloss. I felt like a failure. I was jealous of those with a sleeve and wanted a revision.

Well guess what. I was jealous of those with a band before I had one. Why would I be anymore successful with a sleeve? I re-evaluated what I was doing and realized I wasn't following the rules. I was cheating my band. Eating crap food, sliders, binging on ice cream, drinking with meals, drinking hot tea to facilate movement through the pouch, taking too big of bites, and not chewing well enough.

I was breaking every single bandster rule. And I was surprised I was failing? Hello. Huge wake up call.

So in order to "save my band" I went back to basics. I cleaned out my fridge, freezer, and pantry of processed crap food. Hubby and I made a pact not to eat out anymore. (Taco Bell was my favorite slider haven). No more ice cream (my personal kryptonite).

I take small bites. Protein first. Chew chew chew. I LISTEN to my soft stop signals (running nose, sigh, or hiccup) and I STOP. No more drinking with meals.

Guess what I found out. My band works when I work with it. As of this morning I am down 8 pounds in about a month. Not too shabby considering I am slacking on the exercise.

This is a tool. You will get out of it what you put into it. As long as your band is functioning and you have a good fill with proper restriction, you should lose if you follow the rules.

Think long and hard about whether or not you have done everything to be successful with your band. Revision is risky. Another surgery. If you aren't complying with the band rules, what makes you think you will comply better with sleeve or RNY rules?

No surgery is a magical fix. They all take work and dedication. Coming back to the support boards is a great first step!! It has helped me tons to be back on the boards. Getting support, ideas, and keeping the bandster way of life in the forefront of my mind.

I wish you lots of success with whatever your decision is. I just implore you to really think hard about what you have done and what you can do to be successful. Don't give up on yourself. It is never too late to start over with a band.