Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have Not Felt Restriction Yet

Hi! I have been lurking in LBT but this is my first post. I was banded on Jan. 5, 2012. I have lost 35 lbs. which puts me 1/2 way to my goal :) . My surgeon was Dr. Nicole Fearing in Overland Park, KS. She has been wonderful. I am eating around 1200 calories a day including 60 grams of Protein. I eat much more than 1 cup of food per meal although much less than I used to eat (!) I have not felt restriction. Don't ever want to get anything stuck or to vomit! I take a 30 minute walk 4 times a week. I feel great. I go for my 4th fill April 17. Not sure if I should get one since the weight is coming off slowly but surely. Kind of want to speed it up, but don't want to rock the boat!

You are doing great...just keep ding what you are doing. Unless you are losing weight by white-knuckle dieting you are fine and prob dont ned a fill yet!

Sounds like you are doing great. Little over 10 pounds a month is great. Like Xavier said (and I paraphrase) as long as your not starving yourself to get there.

I am not starving myself at all! I eat until I am full, but so far not over full. I do have a snack of almonds once a day. Thanks for the advice. Think I'll cancel this upcoming appointment and just keep on like this until it is not working any more.

If you want to get to your sweet spot, you should have the fill. **that is your business, not mine** During the time you eat, you should stop when you are satiated NOT full. It sounds like you have been doing a good job so far. yay. But the lapband is supposed to give you restriction. That is what you signed up for. I have about 6 lbs to lose after 89 lbs in 15 months .omg those last lbs r very hard to lose. believe me. I do have restriction, but I do not think it is enough. Dr says no fills for me. So I have to eat less food and exercise. I exercise every day..I know that 35 lbs is nice to lose and 35 left is not 135 but. In my opinion. You need fills for restriction. What does the Dr say anyhow? best of luck

Hi ..it sounds like you are doing great! So I think you should trust your instincts...Do you feel like it is a struggle to loose? If not , then don't fix what is not broken!!! You can always have a fill if it starts to get harder!!

I had my band on the 23rd of Jan. I lost 14 lbs pre op and in the first week but then nothing for ages. I have had 2 fills and slowly an starting to feel a little restriction. I have finally lost 4 lbs over the last 2 weeks .......what a relief....but needed to work quite hard. I am calorie counting with a site called weight lloss resources. I love that it as works out the nutritional breakdown and also how many portions of fruit and veg I have had.I am looking forward to my next fill in 2weeks as I don't feel I am getting much help get!!!

I hope to be doing as well as you soon!!!!

Thanks for answering. It has not been a struggle. But, I think the weight loss is slowing down. I seem to be eating more because I can and have kind of plateaued the last two weeks. I have to drive 2 hours to get my fill so I can't just pop in at the drop of a hat. Love my surgeon so I think I'll keep my appointment and see what she says (no extra charge for 1 year post op)! Congratulations on your weight loss!

The reason you got the lapband was that you can use it as a tool. It will give you enough restriction (eventually) to be able to eat enough to make you satiated (satisfied but NOT FULL) if you are full you have eatten too much. And if you eat too much you will not only gain weight, you will not lose and will stretch out the pouch for you to eat more and more. And if you gobble it down cause you have a stretch out pouch you might throw up. The worst of that is errosion of the band. That is why my dr does not want me to have a fill. We all want more! We are never satisfied. With the Lapband, it is thougt that 2 lbs per week is the average. You will learn to put only quality in your stomach, That way you will have the full nutrition. REMEMBER Protein first, carbs last. We all have plateaus. We need to love ourselves, and exercise, eat right take out Vitamins, drink our Water, choose our foods wisely, I hope that you have purchased a book that has calories, carbs, protein,etc in it for you to know what is going in. This is your life~no one elses. If you follow the rule and do not cheat you will get to where you want to be. We are on a high protein low carb diet. I have not had: soda, bread, rice, pizza, Pasta, cake, Cookies, pies, candy or any other garbage that will inhibit me from going further in my journey. I also want to mention that I lost 89 lbs in 15 months. I turned 64 2 weeks ago. Feel free to email me. lizybird@aol.com

I can't wait for my next fill! I am off to Germany in May for a family celebration and have set myself the goal of a stone off by then. It was my son's birthday today so it has been so hard today ( special birthday Breakfast and pizza hut in the same day!) I have a grand total of 14 cals left!!!!!