Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having surgery in the morning!!

Wow, congrats! Let us know how you're doing!

We had one of each at our house: my hubby did great, I was a wuss. :confused: Tons of pain meds & whining, lol. I really expected it to be the opposite! :confused: Two weeks out & we're both good now, thank goodness!

Hang in there & pamper yourself!! Welcome to the journey!

The incisional pain isnt so bad today....still hurts, but I didnt take any vicodin today. The gas pain in my left shoulder however is KILLING ME!! ARGH....I can move into a position where I feel relief...but once I move out of that position the pain comes right back again. I did take the liquid vicodin around the clock until sometime early this morning because the incisional pain was so bad. I wanted to go without during the day cause it makes me so drugged. I will for sure take some before going to sleep tonight. I havent had much Fluid intake either. I am trying to keep it up, but its not easy at this point. I finally had a bowel movement today...that sure feels better!!

I dont have to be back to work until Monday...so for that I am very grateful!

Dena

Welcome home! Good job, Dena! All of your difficulties aare par for the course, so hang on. It gets a little better every day. If you had a bowel movement, you are REALLY on the mend! Excellent! Welcome to bandland!

congrats! keep us informed, i go on march 13 with dr. spivak at the surgery center, so i will be watching for your updates.

best of luck, and i cannot wait to join you!!

COngrats, sounds like your doing good. Keep us updated. I go in for my first fill on March 7th....yippee....actually I am a little nervous. Have a good night, and sleep well!

I realize age and general health play a large part, but my doctor’s nurse assured me that without complications, I could have the surgery on Thursday and be back at work Monday. That’s my plan anyway. I was surprised to read in some of the posts that it took some patients weeks to recover from the procedure. We’ve had cardiac patients up and walking the next day after major surgery at some of the hospitals where I’ve worked. I just do not see how laparoscopic surgery could be that debilitating. At least I hope it is not.

I think age & general health may be a factor. Plus everyone's different. I had surgery on a Wed. & back to work the next Tues. Then I took 2 vacation days because I wasn't quite up to work yet. Of course I'm a geezer. I could walk around Ok, just wasn't really with it to concentrate for work. Let us know how you do & good luck!

Congrats Rox! Glad to hear you're doing well!

Hope the gas pains are improving!! Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk! :)

I realize age and general health play a large part, but my doctor’s nurse assured me that without complications, I could have the surgery on Thursday and be back at work Monday. That’s my plan anyway. I was surprised to read in some of the posts that it took some patients weeks to recover from the procedure. We’ve had cardiac patients up and walking the next day after major surgery at some of the hospitals where I’ve worked. I just do not see how laparoscopic surgery could be that debilitating. At least I hope it is not.

I had surgery on Monday and went back to work on Wed. I am 27 so maybe age does play a part. They had me up and walking 20 minutes after I got back from recovery. I htink that helped!

My incisions are fine...I can barely feel the pain from them. Last night I resumed my favorite sleeping position, which is mostly on my tummy but a little propped up with pillows on my side and I was comfy. The gas in my left shoulder however will not go away. I have been walking...but after awhile the pain is so intense I have to go lie down on my left side for it to go away. I have tried excercising the shoulder, have tried heat...pain meds...nothing helps except for laying on my left side. Everything I have read says it goes away within a couple of days....well it has been with me for two solid days and I am more then ready for it to be gone.

I already feel restricted....is that normal? I woke up this morning with a wee bit of a tummy ache....and havent felt like consuming anything....just a few sips of Water. OK...the pain in my shoulder is very instense again..I am gonna go lay back down on my left side...

Thanks for all you support and messages!

Dena

Hi,

I too had some of the shoulder pain, though most of my gas pains were (and still are) located in the middle of my diaphram and chest. One thing that helps me is to get into what my friend calls "the position". Now, make sure your incisions don't hurt too bad before you try this, or you might not be able to get back up LOL. You get onto a bed on your knees, and put your head down to touch the bed, with your rear end in the air. almost like the "cat" pose in yoga. Immediately, you will feel all of your gas moving out of your shoulder and into your bowels. It's such a huge feeling of relief. I try to stay in the position as long as possible, just to feel the relief of the gas being out of my chest. It really moves things around and when I get up, I usually have a productive bathroom trip! Hope that's not too gross! Again, let me caution that the position should only be attempted when your surgical pain lets up enough to let you be a little more mobile. Keep us posted on your progress!

I have tried that position.....we call it the knee-chest position in labor and delivery....it worked just fine for relieving the pain....but even after staying in the position for awhile...when I changed positions...the pain came right back. I am trying to walk around and move more regardless of the pain...but it is still very uncomfortable...perhaps I'll assume that position again and see what happens. Thanks