Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopy Questions

Hi All,

Could someone who's had one, tell me what it was like? How long was the procedure, did it hurt? Did you have an IV during it? Any prep for it? ie.

Also, has anyone had one in Mexico? I could probably get one through Kaiser here in CALIF, but I would like someone to do it who is knowledgable about the band. Thanks in advance. Jigglypuff.

Hi All,

Could someone who's had one, tell me what it was like? How long was the procedure, did it hurt? Did you have an IV during it? Any prep for it? ie.

Also, has anyone had one in Mexico? I could probably get one through Kaiser here in CALIF, but I would like someone to do it who is knowledgable about the band. Thanks in advance. Jigglypuff.

I have had two. One I was completely under sedation but only because I was having my port repositioned and while I was under we agreed it would be a good time to get an Endo for a baseline.

The second one I had light sedation. I was awake but groggy and very relaxed. I did have an IV that is how they give you sedation. The procedure lasts about 5 minutes. It isn't very long at all. There was one point of panic for me but the nurse and my band doc talked me through it. I was fine after that. They do strap your arms down but only to protect against you fighting the tube. They insert a bite block into your mouth so you don't bite down on the endoscope. THey spray some numbing medicine into your throat. I closed my eyes and imagined I was somewhere else for those few minutes. It is really quick and painless.

I do think their should be a band doctor either doing the procedure or in the room while the procedure is being done. My band doctor just happens to be able to do the procedure so I got lucky.

Is there a reason you are getting this done? Do they suspect Erosion?

I was under light sedation, the call it twilight, the procedure too kabout 3 minutes once they got the scope in..total time for me was less then 10 minutes, yes there was an IV needle to administer the sedation medicine I had mine in Mexico, it was cheaper too even if my insurance covered it here in the US it still was cheaper in MX and I had resutls instantly, with video and print out of pictures and a typed written report

Penni and Michelle,

Do you have to be completely unfilled for the scope?

I was unfilled before the scope the second time but they suspected a slip and that was why I was unfilled. The first time I was at 2.2 cc of a fill. So NO typically you don't have to be unfilled for the scope. Of course the person doing the scope needs to be aware that you do have a fill so they can make adjustments with the amount of pressure to exert while inserting the scope. If your band doc is doing the procedure then it shouldn't be an issue. I just liked to inform anyone doing a procedure on me that I do have a band.