Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will Shoulder Pain Ever Go Away??!!!

Its been 2 years since my surgery and I'm still getting horrible shoulder pain especially after eating. Will it ever go away?? swinging my arms does not help surely the trapped air from my op should be gone by now?? Iv never had any shoulder pain before my op.

Is there any way to get rid of it for good?

Please help it driving me insane can go on for hours

Cindy.... I did a little research and the pain ur feeling is your phrenic nerve. It is indirectly related to your diaphragm. Very weird, I know. I had it for 2 weeks after surgery and my dic said to take advil for 5 days. It miraculously went away after 3 days of advils. Do you get it every day? Have you mentioned it to your doc?

Lmfao... I meant my "doc" not "dic" omg so sorry!!!!! Llololol

It is not trapped air from surgery. That only lasts a couple days at most.

It is pressure on your phrenic nerve. Mine was very bad for quite a few months, but then pretty much stopped unless I eat a couple bites too much. I think after I dropped about 45 pounds the pressure wasn't so bad. I used menthol pain Patches from Walmart at night and that seemed to help quite a bit. Maybe since it happens after you eat you need to watch for a more subtle full signal than the one stopping you now. If I eat until I feel satisfied, it is sometimes too much. Now I stop when I have a mild loss of interest in the type of food I'm eating at the time.

There was a great bandster here at LBT (elfiepoo ,she doesn't post here now) who had her band removed because it was causing constant pressure on the phrenic nerve and the pain every day was just too much.

I hope you find a way to avoid the shoulder pain. I know it is very hard to deal with. Two years is a long time if it happens often.

I got my 3rd fill 10 days ago, got banded 5 months ago. I just got to that level of restriction where I am full for longer hours and with smaller quantities! Before then it was nothing.

Now I get shoulder and chest pains when I eat things like bread, Pasta, rice, peas, meat. I think that's how it should be, right? It made me finally ready to quit all of the above (except for sushi, it's totally worth the pain)

When I stick to liquids, mushies, veggies and soft Proteins I am completely fine.

It can't possibly be from the operation! It has to be directly linked with how tight you are and what you eat. Because after my first fill I got that pain for one bite, after my second fill it was for the first 3-4 bites and now it's throughout the majority of the meal making any of these foods listed above completely unappealing to me. Which is the whole point of this lap band I think...

Do you see any similarity between what I experience and what you do?

lol that was too funny jenny

I actually havnt gone to my Doc in a long time I mentioned it after the first few months and was told it was normal and that it would go away eventually and to swing my arm around and use heat pads and hot Water bottles and stuff but no joy. Sometimes its not to bad other times its extremly painful

Strangly though sometimes it will start when I drink alcohol aswel!!

Ufortunatly we dont have Walmart here in Ireland humming bird but I'l have a look and see can I get some online anything that will help

Thanks

i'm almost a year out and i get the shoulder pain when i eat too much, if i ignore the small hiccup that tells me to stop eating. yes i hate that pain! ugh!

Lmfao... I meant my "doc" not "dic" omg so sorry!!!!! Llololol

Oh that is too funny!! You crack me up!! :D :D

Lololol.....still can't believe I did that.. Damn iPhone!

Interesting... We are learning every day. I realized today that stress can trigger left shoulder pain for me. I've seen some people post about stress making them feel tighter and/or they can't eat as much when syressed. Just wondering if that cam push on the phrenic nerve. I know if I have waited to long to pee (sorry if this is TMI) the pressure and fullnes pushes on enough internal stuff that I have left shoulder pain. I'm 3 1/2 months out. Please keep updating- I like learning about what each of you experience.

Its been 2 years since my surgery and I'm still getting horrible shoulder pain especially after eating. Will it ever go away?? swinging my arms does not help surely the trapped air from my op should be gone by now?? Iv never had any shoulder pain before my op.

Is there any way to get rid of it for good?

Please help it driving me insane can go on for hours

I was banded on april 5 and I'm suffering as well. I sure hope that it doesn't stay this way the pain runs from my shoulder across my chest and is extremely painful. I wish I could help you.

Thanks guys least I know im not alone haha

Every time I asked the doc he said it would go eventually but It will be 2 years next week and still happening actually more regularly they went away for awhile but thinks thats because i got it emptied out abit

And xiolablue I think you'll find lots of different things trigger pain Sometimes I get it for no reason at all or when i drink alcohol

Some days I eat whatever I want with no pain

Otherdays I take a 2 bites of something and it gets stuck straight away and I get sick but as far as I know this happens to most people could be from stress thou

Just saying im sitting here now with really bad should pain and had my dinner 3 hrs ago

WTF!!!!

I got my surgery on April 9th and I am still having major shoulder pain. I do understand that it is normal but it is painful and I thought it would have gone away by now. I have been walking, taking Advil and all that good stuff. On another note, I have not pooped since before my surgery and I am thinking that may all be related, any thoughts.

I got my surgery on April 9th and I am still having major shoulder pain. I do understand that it is normal but it is painful and I thought it would have gone away by now. I have been walking, taking Advil and all that good stuff. On another note, I have not pooped since before my surgery and I am thinking that may all be related, any thoughts.

go get milk of magnesia!! I had my surg. on April 11th and started with the milk of magnesia on day 2.....once I had a bowel movement the gas started to release.