Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weighing Daily, Gaining Weight, And Eating Easter Candy

Sign in to follow this  

I wish I was not obsessed with weighing daily. I weighed Monday morning before I went to the ER, then have been on the scales every morning since then. I have tried to not weigh-in but still find myself giving in and getting on the scales each morning. It would serve no purpose to ask a friend or family member to hide the scales from me because I would be relentless about replacing them. I know this isn't healthy, yet frankly, I am unwilling to work at it.

I have read that people usually experience a weight gain after band surgery, so I fully expected to see a gain from my appendectomy and the bags of saline solution I received while I was hospitalized. However, I was not mentally prepared for an increase of 8.5 pounds. I think this increase is probably exacerbating my daily "need" to weigh: If I could somehow "see" even a slight decrease on the scales, then maybe I would accept that the gain is only temporary and consequently, would feel more in control.

I didn't want to change my ticker today but decided I must face it, especially since I bought Easter candy last night and then again this morning at Walmart. My willpower has deserted me, and I have gone back to my old, candy-eating habits, consuming 530 calories in foiled-wrapped chocolate eggs prior to 9:30 this morning. If I hadn't temporarily removed myself from my chocolate-filled environment, I undoubtedly would have consumed even more, quite possibly the whole basket.

My appetite has been completely out of control, but writing about these issues is therapeutic. I am going to grab a Greek yogurt from the refrigerator and work hard to get back on track by telling myself I need good nutrition so I will be as healthy as possible for my band surgery.

I gained after my surgery.

Does that help?

Put the chocolates away and eat an egghehe Happy Easter!

Julie,

I am having trouble posting this evening but am looking forward to reading about your surgery.

It helps to know I am NOT alone, and that I am surrounded and supported by people on LBT who truly get it.  But I am still frustrated with myself for repeatedly choosing the very same behaviors that have lead to my obesity multiple times throughout the years.

Your cheerful posts always make me smile!  Wish I liked the natural kind of eggs that provide good nutrition.  

I was able to walk one mile today and am so proud of myself for going the distance!  One mile may not seem like very far, but it was a huge accomplishment for me today.  

All of the Easter treats I put together for others have now been delivered, so I should be able to control my environment better from this point on as long as I control my urges to become a middle-of-the-night Easter basket burglar...LOL

I've been having trouble too.  Have to hit "more reply options" instead of just the post tab. Not sure why.

I honestly don't think I could do a mile right now.  Yes, I'm post-op but I didn't do a mile before surgery. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to exercise.  Keep positive Eliz.  We'll all get there.

I hear you on the Easter candy. Although so close post op I don't feel like eating anything at the moment. I wanted to make sure I wasn't tempted just in case I was feeling great after surgery (wishful thinking). So instead of buying ANY candy for my family their Easter baskets are filled with a bathingsuit, towel, and new pool toys. Stuff I would have bought anyway, but Easter gives me a new excuse, AND NO CANDY.

AND how are you feeling Summrsue?  You've been banded and now WOOT WOOT coming from you!  What's up with that?

Spill the jelly Beans lady!

Lol. I'll spill the jelly Beans. Day one was horrible. My nurse took out my IV fast even though I told her I always get sick from anesthesia. I could barely keep fluids down. Dry heaving HURT, they couldn't give me anything for pain or nausea, almost kept me because I wasn't peeing. She threatened to put my IV back in I looked at her dead on and said "DO IT". She wasn't expecting that. I was finally released in pain. My pharmacy took an extra long time filling my script. It was a bad day. Day #2 was a little better. Still bad. Day #3 brought less pain but finally the dreaded shoulder gas pain. This is getting more manageable I just can't wait for my body to feel "normal". I did so well with my C-section and natural labor I thought I would do ok. I feel like such a wimp.

Your not a wimp! We're all different, but I'm sorry to hear it didn't go well for you. The worst of my gas pain was the first day but I slept with a heating pads for 4 days. I'm still achy but it seems to get a little bit better each day. Hopefully your bad days will go by fast for you.

NOW the surgery is over now and all you have to do is heal and start losing the lbs.

woot woot....... this year is going to be AWESOMENESS for all of us :)

big hugs,

j~

oh and HAPPY EASTER

ok all your begining to make me nevouse, Banding with plication is thursday the 12 thats only 5 days today. Dr said i could go back to work the next day bur with everything i have read the last week not sure its going to be that easy. Had a total hystarectomy 2 yrs ago and it was a breese but that was all done without any outword cutting. now i am begining to think this isnt going to be that easy. Ok just venting

ok all your begining to make me nevouse, Banding with plication is thursday the 12 thats only 5 days today. Dr said i could go back to work the next day bur with everything i have read the last week not sure its going to be that easy. Had a total hystarectomy 2 yrs ago and it was a breese but that was all done without any outword cutting. now i am begining to think this isnt going to be that easy. Ok just venting

If you have a sedentary job, you should be fine going back soon. You may need to take some pain meds. I did not have any adverse affects with anasthesia and did have some port pains the first week, but they diminished each day. Worst was probably the gas pains, which showed up at day 4 or 5.

It all depends on how you react. No matter what I think going back the next day is too soon. Why risk it?

I agree...going back the next day would be too soon. You may be okay physically to sit in a chair all day but you will most likely be miserable. Strangely I had the surgery on Tuesday and Thursday was my worst day. But I woke up on Sunday and I felt like a NEW woman! No more tummy pain just the occasional phantom shoulder pain.

Ya I would take a few days. I too have had ups and downs like dhales. I went back and did a few clients on Sat. and yesterday (Sun) was a sleepy day for me. Not sure why just tired and dozed on and off all day. The pain isn't unbearable, more uncomfortable but it is surgery! I'm had surgery after child birth to repair damage and a tubal. I recovered quickly from those but this one feels more internal. Like the core muscles of your body have been moved around and they aren't real happy about it. Right now, exactly one week after surgery the only pain I have is slightly sore muscles and port pain. My incisions are itchy so I know they are healing and all but the port site is almost gone. The port incision is the largest one, about 1 1/2 inch long and I'm thinking another week. One thing I have noticed is when I eat, the port pushes out some. Like you feel full HIGH in your stomach instead of in your belly. I think as the food filters into my lower tummy the port goes back in place. Sorry it's hard to explain how it feels.

This is a life changing surgery, Why not take a few days out of the life and recover, adjust, and relax? You deserve it!

Thanks guys for the pep talk just started to get a little case of nerves. I am going to take the next week off and not work, go back on the 23 give me a little over a week. My job is more physical as i am a health care provider for a middle aged man with MS. so there is some lifting involved. glad i have all of you to vent to. thanks

Well I feel like I'm back to the land of the living. I'm one week Post Op (LB with stomach plication) and feel pretty good. My experience has been a little unexpected, but I am so glad that I had researched some information on this forum before the actual surgery.

Pre surgery was pretty hard. The last couple days of the pre op diet were bad. I had my mom come in from out of town, and seeing her and my DH eating anything they wanted almost sent me over the edge. But they were encouraging and I did it. Pre op , checking in, all that was great. After surgery, I didn't tolerate the general anesthesia well AT ALL. I had warned them that I had issues with GA back in 1984, but had not had it since then. Well as the recovery room nurses put it, I was vomitig when I hit the door. I vomited for about 4 hours every time I would move or try to wake up. They maxed me out on everything they could give me. Changed my pain meds, anything to get me to stop. It wasn't fun. Since I had the plication, there was no fear of the band slipping. Then after recover, I had to go and get another upper GI to make sure there weren't any leaks and that things were working well. Having to swallow the barium wasn't pleasant but it didn't come back up, at least not for about another hour. I was admitted for an over night stay, and was surprised at everything that was going on. I had an IV going with fluids running pretty fast to keep me hydrated since I wasn't keeping anything down. I had O2 because my sats wouldn't go above 88% on room air, so I was on oxygen. Then I was on continusous pulse oximetry which was securely attached to my left middle finger, then I was on telemetry to watch my heart rate and rhythm. Try getting comfortable with all that. Wasn't happening. So they kepy me as comfortable as possible with IV morphine and IV Zofran as often as I could have it, that afternoon and night. I was able to walk around and do about 3 laps around the unit with REALLY helps with the gas pain. I had both internal gas and external gas pains. I kept burping, which they said was good to do, but I had this HUGE gas bubble that over the course of 24 hours moved from my lower abdomen to my chest and shoulders. It made it really hard to breath. I have 6 small incisions, which never really hurt, but were just kind of sore. The gas pain was the worst. It caused some back pain and the only thing that really helped was walking around. Once discharged, I took my pain medication and felt pretty out of it for the next day. By Wednesday I was able to login to work e mail and do that for about an hour. I'm on a 30-60 gm Protein Shake liquid diet for the next week (total of 2 weeks), then can move up to pureed foods. I will say that I'm back to work today ,and feeling pretty normal. I will see if I can survive all day. I did spike a small tempuature each afternoon, not bad, just to like 99 or 100 which advil took care of nicely. Hope everyone had a nice Easter weekend.