Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appendix Ruptured And Surgery Is Postponed

Sign in to follow this  

My lap band surgery has been postponed and I am quite disappointed. My appendix ruptured last week so the delay was unavoidable.

When I called to reschedule my band surgery, I was told that I first needed to be released by the surgeon who performed my appendectomy. If I understand correctly, that will likely happen 4-6 weeks from now if all goes well. Then I will have to wait another 6-8 weeks for my surgery appointment. I had hoped to reschedule the surgery appointment last week to avoid the wait after I am medically cleared, by unfortunately, that isn't the way it works.

It is very unlikely that I will truly be a Springer, but if it's okay with you, I'd like to remain a part of this wonderful group. Though I have only been away for a relatively short time period, I have missed your posts and updates tremendously and look forward to reading and catching up.

I'm sorry to hear about your appendix but aren't you glad it happened BEFORE your Lap Band? Better to happen now and heal, than have complications later, right? Wishing you a speedy recovery Eliz!

Now I don't remember anyone setting defined rules for being a "Springer." I think it's more a state of mind for me and everyone else in here. OF COURSE, you will remain here. I, for one, value your friendship and would be disappointed if I didn't see your posts!

Get well soon Ladybug! Your banding will happened when it's supposed to!

hugs,

j~

I'm sorry to hear about your appendix but aren't you glad it happened BEFORE your Lap Band? Better to happen now and heal, than have complications later, right? Wishing you a speedy recovery Eliz!

Now I don't remember anyone setting defined rules for being a "Springer." I think it's more a state of mind for me and everyone else in here. OF COURSE, you will remain here. I, for one, value your friendship and would be disappointed if I didn't see your posts!

Get well soon Ladybug! Your banding will happened when it's supposed to!

hugs,

j~

Eliz... im so sorry this has happened to you... but it is better to have appendix out of the way first. you dont want anything to complicate your recovery from band surgery. Im in Australia, so im not a ''springer'' im a '' autumner''.. lol.. it doesnt matter in the least. im looking foward to all your posts as well as everyone elses.... you will learn a lot more over the extra time that has been given you. I hope that your recovery from this is very fast.

Julie and Judy,

Sounds great---I will continue to be a Springer! Judy, I hadn't even thought about you being an "Autumner."

Surprisingly, I'm not too down about my surgery delay. I trust God has a plan and am grateful the ruptured appendix was discovered 8 days in advance of my band surgery and not later.

There was one thing I hadn't anticipated, though. For now, I had not planned to tell others about my band surgery. However, discussing one's medical record information in a small-town hospital where a thin partial curtain is the only thing separating one patient and his family from another gives privacy and WLS a different dimension. As the 60ish, examining ER doctor walked away from me, he commented that I "wasn't that big" and said I needed to "keep going on my own so that I could eat steak." I don't think he intended to be offensive and was instead just showing his ignorance of my medical history. However, he did say these comments in front of another patient and his wife with whom we were simply sharing room space.

Throughout the day, as I moved from one diagnostic test to another and then on to pre-op, my upcoming band surgery would be questioned. No one was unprofessional, but rather seemed to be verifying the facts the ER doctor had written on my chart. Most times, there were others standing around within earshot, though I do understand this is the nature of a small hospital. Now, I feel like several people in my small community know I will be having weight loss surgery. My husband and son were the only two family members who knew about my surgery, so this isn't what I wanted. Though I can't repair the damage, I am trying to focus solely on the big picture, and I'm thankful to be having my band procedure done in the city, where there seems to be a greater commitment to confidentiality.

Julie and Judy,

Sounds great---I will continue to be a Springer! Judy, I hadn't even thought about you being an "Autumner."

Surprisingly, I'm not too down about my surgery delay. I trust God has a plan and am grateful the ruptured appendix was discovered 8 days in advance of my band surgery and not later.

There was one thing I hadn't anticipated, though. For now, I had not planned to tell others about my band surgery. However, discussing one's medical record information in a small-town hospital where a thin partial curtain is the only thing separating one patient and his family from another gives privacy and WLS a different dimension. As the 60ish, examining ER doctor walked away from me, he commented that I "wasn't that big" and said I needed to "keep going on my own so that I could eat steak." I don't think he intended to be offensive and was instead just showing his ignorance of my medical history. However, he did say these comments in front of another patient and his wife with whom we were simply sharing room space.

Throughout the day, as I moved from one diagnostic test to another and then on to pre-op, my upcoming band surgery would be questioned. No one was unprofessional, but rather seemed to be verifying the facts the ER doctor had written on my chart. Most times, there were others standing around within earshot, though I do understand this is the nature of a small hospital. Now, I feel like several people in my small community know I will be having weight loss surgery. My husband and son were the only two family members who knew about my surgery, so this isn't what I wanted. Though I can't repair the damage, I am trying to focus solely on the big picture, and I'm thankful to be having my band procedure done in the city, where there seems to be a greater commitment to confidentiality.

Elizabeth.. how awful and how unprofessional can one get?? they would have known that what they said wasnt a private conversation. If it were me.. sorry. i would have had a real go at him, and the others as well. Im glad that you are taking this reasonably well. i think its appalling ethics myself. Patient confidentiality is paramount, no matter what you are having done.

Its a good job that you are being banded elsewhere.

Ive not told anyone apart from my husband.. who had to know, and my youngest daughter who knows how to keep confidentiality. Anyone else?? no way. i live in a small town as well where everyone knows everyone elses business. I wasnt really obese, just over weight. However i had really bad joint issues ... osteo arthritis. It was crippling me. Lots of joint sugeries over the years. Also fluctuating blood pressure which was unstable and making me ill. when people see me out and about they know ive put on weight but im not classed as being obese. but, having said that, my general health was in a bad way. No one seeing me out would know this. So.. if anyone knew of my surgery i know what the talk would be... and it wouldnt be constructive, thats for sure.

I hate gossip. i dont gossip in our home or elsewhere. what others do with their lives is their business. I expect them to have the same respect for me... but of course they dont and wouldnt. I think this is why i would react to a dr if he was out of line like yours was. I hope im not venting too much. Small towns and gossip is one of my pet hates. lol.

My lap band surgery has been postponed and I am quite disappointed. My appendix ruptured last week so the delay was unavoidable.

When I called to reschedule my band surgery, I was told that I first needed to be released by the surgeon who performed my appendectomy. If I understand correctly, that will likely happen 4-6 weeks from now if all goes well. Then I will have to wait another 6-8 weeks for my surgery appointment. I had hoped to reschedule the surgery appointment last week to avoid the wait after I am medically cleared, by unfortunately, that isn't the way it works.

It is very unlikely that I will truly be a Springer, but if it's okay with you, I'd like to remain a part of this wonderful group. Though I have only been away for a relatively short time period, I have missed your posts and updates tremendously and look forward to reading and catching up.

So sorry to hear about your appy. good thing they found it now. the time will fly between now and when you do get to have yours but in the mean time you can be here for the rest of us we very much need your imput and support .