Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

band v. bypass

Choosing between Weight Loss Surgery ( WLS) procedures is a tough one for many people. This is an individual decision that only you can make. If you have narrowed it down to the Band vs the bypass then just know think about this. They are both two great procedures and for those of us who are forced to consider drastic measures to lose weight, it's important to see that each procedure has its own merits.

My story is a bit different from some others. I should probably brace myself for flack for this, but I will just be frank. I was literally on a path to achieve quite spectacular success with the LapBand. Quite honestly, that spectacular success with the band has not happened. And according to my surgeon who has given me a "Sorry, but you probably won't lose any more with the Lap Band.." letter, it may never happen.

I was banded five years ago {I sought to be approved for the RnY bypass but I really didn't want to commit to something quite so drastic, and I was impressed by Band success in Europe and elsewhere} and I have struggled. Now keep in mind, like all technology, things have changed & improved since 2001 and many people have gone on to oustanding results with LapBanding. So remember that this is my own story, and your results may vary. Lots of folks are now doing well with the LapBand - but those who don't are often shunned and don't openly participate in forums the way that those who have achieved remarkable success may do.

So here I am.

Initially I only wanted to lose 70-80 pounds max, I thought the Band could help me in my Quest. Keep in mind, even before Lapbanding I ate no red meat or beef, nor pork, no ice cream, no chocolate. I don't even drink shakes or malts. So I thought with some modification I could succeed, and I definitely did all I could to make it work.

My results? Not very impressive, honestly. I've only lost about 51-52 lbs. and this is after 5 years. My pre-op BMI was about 38/39 and now after 5 years it's a BMI of 30.

So I wasn't one of the more successful ones, and my weight is still a major problem even five years later. Quite honestly, I've really struggled with having selected an option that included no malabsorption. Ironically, this same "lack of malabsorption" is what drew me to the LapBand but my weight loss has been so slow (and sometimes non-existent) I have certainly been frustrated at times and that can hurt.

As I've had the LapBand longer, I've gone through a few things that most newly banded patients won't suffer. I still think the LapBand is a fabulous option, but my original surgeon has now become quite frank about what my chances are for success.

I do recommend it but I do so for friends/patients who have lower BMI, and seem to be comfortable with the fact that LapBand weight loss is considerably slower than some of the other forms. In the pre-op period you're told LapBand weight loss takes longer. And sometimes it seems like "oh yeah, I won't care if it takes longer" but when you've paid your own money and watch other patients lose more and lose faster, sometimes you can start to second-guess it.

I am happy to be 51or more pounds lighter? You bet. I can wear things I couldn't before, and I look a lot better. But I haven't gotten near my goal of 70#-80# and now my own surgeon doubts it can be done with the LapBand. So I am carefully considering my options.

But if I had known the LapBand wasn't going to work for me (don't we all wish we had such foresight in life?), I would have definitely had another form of WLS

I'm tired of being fat. Period

Which form would I have had? Even with all the scariness, the complications and the lack of adjustability, I've have the RnY. (The RnY is drastic but for my needs the DS is way scarier. It's a lifestyle choice, plain and simple and I think the D-Switch is much too drastic for me. My friends who have DS have done well but they have been at a higher BMI, higher start weight and have had different lifestyles than me.)

I don't want a RnY bypass but I don't want to be Morbidly Obese either. So I can't join the "Oh, it was LapBand or nothing" choir - because I was fat for so long I needed something to help me. If the LapBand can't help me, I can't do it alone so I'll have to find a tool that is right for me.

The LapBand is a fabulous tool - it has adjustability, it is not permanent and it when it works, it does work well. But always remember there are other factors that can affect its' success and unlike other forms - there is no guarantee that your body will automatically lose weight (although we know many bypass type patients later struggle with keeping it off, very few of them ever actually don't lose weight initially) with the LapBand or that you will lose as much as you want.

Good luck with your decision - and happy WLS journey to you.

Choosing between Weight Loss Surgery ( WLS) procedures is a tough one for many people. This is an individual decision that only you can make. If you have narrowed it down to the Band vs the bypass then just know think about this. They are both two great procedures and for those of us who are forced to consider drastic measures to lose weight, it's important to see that each procedure has its own merits.

My story is a bit different from some others. I should probably brace myself for flack for this, but I will just be frank. I was literally on a path to achieve quite spectacular success with the LapBand. Quite honestly, that spectacular success with the band has not happened. And according to my surgeon who has given me a "Sorry, but you probably won't lose any more with the Lap Band.." letter, it may never happen.

I was banded five years ago {I sought to be approved for the RnY bypass but I really didn't want to commit to something quite so drastic, and I was impressed by Band success in Europe and elsewhere} and I have struggled. Now keep in mind, like all technology, things have changed & improved since 2001 and many people have gone on to oustanding results with LapBanding. So remember that this is my own story, and your results may vary. Lots of folks are now doing well with the LapBand - but those who don't are often shunned and don't openly participate in forums the way that those who have achieved remarkable success may do.

So here I am.

Initially I only wanted to lose 70-80 pounds max, I thought the Band could help me in my Quest. Keep in mind, even before Lapbanding I ate no red meat or beef, nor pork, no ice cream, no chocolate. I don't even drink shakes or malts. So I thought with some modification I could succeed, and I definitely did all I could to make it work.

My results? Not very impressive, honestly. I've only lost about 51-52 lbs. and this is after 5 years. My pre-op BMI was about 38/39 and now after 5 years it's a BMI of 30.

So I wasn't one of the more successful ones, and my weight is still a major problem even five years later. Quite honestly, I've really struggled with having selected an option that included no malabsorption. Ironically, this same "lack of malabsorption" is what drew me to the LapBand but my weight loss has been so slow (and sometimes non-existent) I have certainly been frustrated at times and that can hurt.

As I've had the LapBand longer, I've gone through a few things that most newly banded patients won't suffer. I still think the LapBand is a fabulous option, but my original surgeon has now become quite frank about what my chances are for success.

I do recommend it but I do so for friends/patients who have lower BMI, and seem to be comfortable with the fact that LapBand weight loss is considerably slower than some of the other forms. In the pre-op period you're told LapBand weight loss takes longer. And sometimes it seems like "oh yeah, I won't care if it takes longer" but when you've paid your own money and watch other patients lose more and lose faster, sometimes you can start to second-guess it.

I am happy to be 51or more pounds lighter? You bet. I can wear things I couldn't before, and I look a lot better. But I haven't gotten near my goal of 70#-80# and now my own surgeon doubts it can be done with the LapBand. So I am carefully considering my options.

But if I had known the LapBand wasn't going to work for me (don't we all wish we had such foresight in life?), I would have definitely had another form of WLS

I'm tired of being fat. Period

Which form would I have had? Even with all the scariness, the complications and the lack of adjustability, I've have the RnY. (The RnY is drastic but for my needs the DS is way scarier. It's a lifestyle choice, plain and simple and I think the D-Switch is much too drastic for me. My friends who have DS have done well but they have been at a higher BMI, higher start weight and have had different lifestyles than me.)

I don't want a RnY bypass but I don't want to be Morbidly Obese either. So I can't join the "Oh, it was LapBand or nothing" choir - because I was fat for so long I needed something to help me. If the LapBand can't help me, I can't do it alone so I'll have to find a tool that is right for me.

The LapBand is a fabulous tool - it has adjustability, it is not permanent and it when it works, it does work well. But always remember there are other factors that can affect its' success and unlike other forms - there is no guarantee that your body will automatically lose weight (although we know many bypass type patients later struggle with keeping it off, very few of them ever actually don't lose weight initially) with the LapBand or that you will lose as much as you want.

Good luck with your decision - and happy WLS journey to you.

NewSho,

Two of us here (Rachele and I) have just been revised from band to DS. It WAS a more extensive surgery and the recovery period was lengthy for me. Rachele is WAY younger and was back at work in no time.

I am again (for the first time in years) eating salads and having fun with ham sandwiches. (I have to use a wheat-flour-free bread for the sake of my new bowels.) I've lost about 60 pounds...did that in two and a half months and then stalled. My body is catching up. I do NOT spend the entire day in the bathroom. I can eat sugar. And do. I'm avoiding some of the processed white foods, but not because they'll make me dump...becasuse one of my friends told me that if she had it to do again, she'd try to maximize her weight loss during the first 18 months by avoiding white-flour based foods.

The DS and RnY are "scarier" surgeries than the band placement. But the surgery was only two hours of my life. I need supplements, but smart RnY people take them, too.

Anyway, don't be afraid of DS. If a wobbly old broad like me can do it, it just can't be that difficult.

Sue