Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teenagers Getting Wks?

The Today Show just had a segment about teenagers getting bypass, sleeve & lapband surgery performed. The teen in the segment was getting the sleeve. Personally, I think most teenagers don't have the appropriate mindset for this big of a change. I know when I was an overweight teen, I was nowhere near ready for this type of decision. I'm curios as to what everyone's thoughts on this is.

My concern is whether they are even physically "grown" yet. I know my brother left for college shorter than my dad and came back at Christmas and was taller than dad. "Teen" can mean lots of things anywhere from 13-19. Would I approve of a 13 absolutely NOT. At 19 however I had already lost and regained 100 pounds twice.

I would be more likely to approve of the band as you are not cutting out half of the digestive system.

I do however see the band journey as being at least 50% mental. My doctor wants me to be able to eat most things, just smaller amounts. However when I go to KFC I get the grilled chicken breast and take the skin off; rather than having fried.

I think it would really depend on the maturity of the teen. I was an old soul even as a kid.

I agree! I asked my surgeon about this today when I saw hum. He said the band isn't FDA approved yet for adolescents. There are studies being done for it. He thinks bypass & the sleeve are too much for them & that the lapband is a much better & safer choice. We've all seen a lot of people that have had bypass & gain weight back. Many adolescents that are overweight are eating out of emotional issues or family issues. Those need to be dealt with before a surgery is done.

I guess it would depend on the teen. I know we have some teen on here that have done very well. My thoughts are along the line with Kadeez..... i would think LB would be better.

I'm not incline to agree with the "emotional eating" part. I think kids are over weight because of the stuff they eat not why they eat. McDonald's, burger king.... fast foods. I know that's what contributed to my weight gain.

Teens these days are very much on the go.... and they eat tons of fast food.

I say, if they go thru all the prerequisites and they have extensive education ..... they why not. Why go thru life Fat if they don't have too....

I strongly disagree that children are not eating because of emotional reasons. My family looked very normal from the outside. My father died when I was 11 from a massive heart attack. We went to church and 2 hours later he was dead. Less then a year later my brother moved back home from a failed marriage (he was 19) and brought a baby with him. I'm sure you can guess how horrible my ex sister inlaw was that he got custody; this being 1981. He was a high functioning alcoholic. Super stressful with a lot of verbal abuse. Over the next 5 years one aunt and 3 uncles died of cancer. Long drawn out illnesses. I was an emotional wreck. I was definatly an emotional eater! I strongly believe that some kids deal with their pain by taking drugs and others are eating themselves to death.

I think it depends on the maturity of the teen. I wouldn't suggest wls for any under 18 but I am 19 and have done just fine with it.

Kassie, I agree. Once you are old enough to vote, you are old enough to make educated decisions.

Honk, I know I definitely had emotional eating issues also. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of them. A friend of mine recommended a great book that I am working through now. It's called Women, food & God. It's for men & women both. Don't be afraid of the word God either. It's more about finding your own spiritual connection to help you whether it be God or meditation or any other means. It has definitely made me think quite a bit & do a lot of self reflecting.