Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ready To Take The Plunge

Hello everyone. After reading posts for a while I'm ready to join the conversation.

Like everyone else on this site, I've tried dieting for years and can take it off but it comes back with a vengeance. In 2003 I lost 45 pound on Atkins but since gained back all that and more! I'm starting to go diabetic and have no energy and can't even put on my socks without getting out of breath! My kids want me to run around with them and I'm tired of not being able to.

Now's the time to take back my life. I'm stoked!

I am in month 2 of the 3 required by Blue Cross Federal. I'm trying the new behaviors a little with not much success. I understand that it will be easier after surgery if I already don't drink with meals and take tiny bites and chew well but I don't really want to do that stuff until I have to. My other big thing is Cereal before bed - I guess I'll have to give that up. I'd welcome any advice on that front.

I have some basic questions. Wondering how long to be off work. I have a desk job (one of my fitness problems) so not too strenuous; I am lucky enough to be able to telework some of the time too. When I had back surgery last year I was loopy from the meds for a while - should I expect that with this too? The other thing is that we need to move this summer so how long till I can lift stuff like boxes?

I'm pretty excited about getting healthy and slim; can't wait till my surgery!

Bob in Virginia

Hi Bob, I'm a desk jockey too. I took off two weeks - mostly because I knew from past experience how the anaesthetic would knock me. I doubt that I could have gone back any earlier and been effective, even teleworking, which is also an option for me.

Check with your surgeon re lifting boxes etc but don't rush into it, expect that you will need at least six weeks. Line up plenty of family and friends to help!

Good luck

Hi Bob,

I am a private pay as my insurance won't cover me. I start my first appointment tomorrow... So excited. I would like to be friends and help support one another on this board! I am a 44 year old married Mommy of 3 boys and I wish I could run more with them... I get a bit winded coming up the stairs! I don't have a desk job but I am in sales. I am only going to be able to take a week off but I will make it work and take it slow on the second week. Really looking forward to getting healthy. Stay in touch!

Azhoselady

I have a desk job and had my surgery on Thursday and was back to work on Monday. I was still a little sore but off all pain meds, even tylenol.

I was banded yesterday and back to work today at a desk job. I was a little sore. I wore a binder and icepack. I came home and went straight to bed.