Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suffer With Pcos And Getting Lap Band Surgery

I suffer with PCOS and have tried everything under the sun to loose weight. I have decided to get Lap Band Surgery on June 11, 2012 in hopes that this will be my cure to many health problems. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WITH PCOS THAT THE LAP BAND WORKED FOR YOU.

For every success story I hear for one, in the next moment I hear that I didnt work for another.

I will be taking a chunk out of my savings to pay for this, due to the fact it is an exclusion on my insurance policy. I really hope that this is not thousands down the drain and I will not have weight loss success.

I would love to hear from you.

I have PCOS.....I believe the lapband has been and continues to work for me. March 16th was a year that I had surgery. I'm off metformin, and have lost 63.4 (this includes my pre-op diet) as of this morning. My A1-C is so MUCH better....I even wondered if I would still be considered to have PCOS.

Of course the lapband isn't a cure all and you really have to be ready to face all the reasons you were eating before being banded b/c all the reasons are still right there after surgery and IT SUCKS!!!! But you have to face what ever issues you have to be healthy!

My Dr was conservative w/ fills and is a big believer in slow and steady to get restriction. You have to eat small bites, chew chew & chew., no drinking w/ meals and say goodbye to soda.

hope this helped kelli

Dear Kelli,

Thank you so much for responding. I am just sooooo frustrated and scared that my lap band will be just like every other diet I have been on for the past 8 years and not loose weight. I will give this my all because I am really uncomfortable in my own skin. My OBGYN feels that all my PCOS will clear up to some degree with steady weight loss. So in 6 weeks I will start a liquid diet and on June 11th I will have my surgery. Slow and steady weight loss will make me more than happy so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again. I am happy for you having results and wish you the best.

Love, Tonya

Hi i have been having pcos for about 20 years. So i have struggled for that long its been so hard.im hoping having lapband will help . I m hoping to be able to have control of access hair and ovary pain its so nice to know other women with same problem.. good luck to yall

I have pcos and was banded may 25,2011. I have lost 53lbs. So far it has helped my health. I no longer have to see a cardiologist only yearly and my A1C went from 6.5 to 5.4. My bp is normal and I went from 22-24 to 16. It's been worth it but very hard. You still have to make good food choices and exercise a lot. If you don't then the weight will not come off. My nutritionist says I'm doing excellent because most pcos bandster lose an average of only 30lbs. I'm glad I didn't know this before surgery and I definetly beat the odds. Good luck! You can do it

I have pcos and was banded may 25,2011. I have lost 53lbs. So far it has helped my health. I only see a cardiologist yearly and my A1C went from 6.5 to 5.4. My bp is normal and I went from 22-24 to 16. It's been worth it but very hard. You still have to make good food choices and exercise a lot. If you don't then the weight will not come off. My nutritionist says I'm doing excellent because most pcos bandster lose an average of only 30lbs. I'm glad I didn't know this before surgery and I definetly beat the odds. Good luck! You can do it

Kimmypoo...

WOW you have no idea how I needed to hear that this morning. With the Holidays this weekend, and the thoughts of family and food all around me, your successful weight loss with the band and PCOS is music to my ears.

Not a day has gone by for the past 8 years since I was diagnosed with PCOS, that I dont think about what I put into my mouth. If I dont I shutter to think how much my weight would climb to. My nutritionist also said that this is going to be a harder road for me with the PCOS, but that EXERCISE is the key.

So, my basement is cleaned out and a treadmill is now sitting there (just waiting for me to use it) LOL

I told myself that no matter what I will walk 30 min a day, and weather permitting I hope to get outside and get more active. My surgery is scheduled for June 11th and I am just in the pre-Op testing Phase with all my doctors.

Well keep up the great work and have a Happy Holiday Weekend. I welcome any advice you have for me :)

Good luck! Last year I joined a gym and attended several classes each week. I did zumba, cardiovascular dance and cardiovascular kickboxing along with walking. This year I joined Jazzercise and I am hooked! I love going and it doesn't seem like a chore. I go 4 days a week.